The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

bills2
Captain
Captain

Re: 2018 Rule Change Discussion

Postby bills2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:05 am

TrueDawg wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am
monkeybones wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 am Let's discuss what everyone wants to do with the DS promotion/demotion timeline. From the voting thread it appears more people are in favor of making it later than earlier. I don't care either way but I'd like it spelled out in the rules.

Should we move all DS transactions to right before the start of the regular season? Should we make it available as soon as the draft is done and people can add players to the DS whenever they want knowing that once they do so they cannot promote the player without giving him the appropriate DS contract? Should we just get rid of the DS?

If we move all DS demotions to right before the draft then owners will have to use one of their 19 roster spots on a player they plan to put on the DS. That doesn't make much sense to me. I see no downside to making the DS demotion available right after the draft but once a player is placed on the DS he cannot be promoted at his old salary. It has to be at the new DS salary. The DS might be more work than it's worth?

I'm more in favor of making the demotion available right after the draft or eliminating the DS altogether.

As for promotions from the DS to an active roster. I'm fine with moving it to right before the start of the season.

Thoughts?

I'd like people to weigh in so I can create a voting thread where people can make a choice and we can get something more concrete in the rules.
This is really simple... So during the offseason, you can carry 21 players on your roster (sortof like how NFL teams carry 90-man rosters through most of the offseason). But two of them have to be DS-eligible. And we make Sept. 1st the start of the "regular season". That's roughly a week before games start. This is basically "cutdown day", when everyone's roster has to be legal per regular season rules. All offseason activities are concluded, so DS demotions / promotions, etc. all have to be done.

So if you draft a guy this year, you have to demote him to DS by Sept 1st. And if you drafted a guy last year, you have until Sept 1st to promote him at the 1st year DS salary. After the "regular season" starts (and before Sept 1st of the next year), he'd get the 2nd year salary if you promote him.

I would also say people CAN declare their DS demotions / promotions prior to the deadline... but once you do, there's no going back.
I like it. Quick question, so you can keep people on the DS for multiple seasons but if you cut someone from the DS they have the same salary implications as a normal cut?

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am

bills2 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:05 am
TrueDawg wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am
monkeybones wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 am Let's discuss what everyone wants to do with the DS promotion/demotion timeline. From the voting thread it appears more people are in favor of making it later than earlier. I don't care either way but I'd like it spelled out in the rules.

Should we move all DS transactions to right before the start of the regular season? Should we make it available as soon as the draft is done and people can add players to the DS whenever they want knowing that once they do so they cannot promote the player without giving him the appropriate DS contract? Should we just get rid of the DS?

If we move all DS demotions to right before the draft then owners will have to use one of their 19 roster spots on a player they plan to put on the DS. That doesn't make much sense to me. I see no downside to making the DS demotion available right after the draft but once a player is placed on the DS he cannot be promoted at his old salary. It has to be at the new DS salary. The DS might be more work than it's worth?

I'm more in favor of making the demotion available right after the draft or eliminating the DS altogether.

As for promotions from the DS to an active roster. I'm fine with moving it to right before the start of the season.

Thoughts?

I'd like people to weigh in so I can create a voting thread where people can make a choice and we can get something more concrete in the rules.
This is really simple... So during the offseason, you can carry 21 players on your roster (sortof like how NFL teams carry 90-man rosters through most of the offseason). But two of them have to be DS-eligible. And we make Sept. 1st the start of the "regular season". That's roughly a week before games start. This is basically "cutdown day", when everyone's roster has to be legal per regular season rules. All offseason activities are concluded, so DS demotions / promotions, etc. all have to be done.

So if you draft a guy this year, you have to demote him to DS by Sept 1st. And if you drafted a guy last year, you have until Sept 1st to promote him at the 1st year DS salary. After the "regular season" starts (and before Sept 1st of the next year), he'd get the 2nd year salary if you promote him.

I would also say people CAN declare their DS demotions / promotions prior to the deadline... but once you do, there's no going back.
I like it. Quick question, so you can keep people on the DS for multiple seasons but if you cut someone from the DS they have the same salary implications as a normal cut?
You can keep a player on the DS as long as you want. If you promote the player to your active roster you use the sliding scale detailed in the rules. If you cut the player from your DS there is a cap penalty as if the player had a 1 year deal at the league minimum salary $300 x 1 year x 20% = $60

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

It looks like we have a few people who like the idea of:

1. DS promotions/demotions at the end of off-season, September 1st for example.
2. DS promotions/demotions can be made before September 1st but once they are made they cannot be undone.

Thoughts from anyone else?

OnABloodbuzz
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby OnABloodbuzz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Whatever works.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 am

Does anyone else have an opinion? Are we good to vote on adding some concrete dates to the rules?

1. DS promotions/demotions at the end of off-season, September 1st for example.
2. DS promotions/demotions can be made before September 1st but once they are made they cannot be undone.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:16 am

Rules discussion for the 2018 season is done.