2018 Rule Change Discussion

The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

Craig0331
Captain
Captain

Re: 2018 Rule Change Discussion

Postby Craig0331 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am

monkeybones wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am Here is the original rule change suggestion thread: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=145165

I know we need another owner but I'd like to at least start the discussion with the following items:

1. Prohibit conditional trades - Each trade should be posted and completed when the trade is finalized. No team should "owe" another team anything at any point. Trades should be done and over with once they are approved and confirmed.

2. Change contract years structure to resemble more closely to that of the nfl. No player in UFA is going to sign a 6 year minimum salary deal so I suggest something as follows:

contract value of $1000 per year or less will be allowed a max of 2 years of control.
contract value of $1001-$5000 per year will be given a max of 3 years of control.
contract value of $5001-$10000 per year will be given a max of 4 years of control.
contract value of $10001+ per year will be given a max of 5 years of control.

This would also cap the max years given to 5 years instead of the current 6.

3. Use the FT at face value for 1 year
Use the FT as a 2 year contract extension at an increase of 4% over the FT value for that position.
Use the FT as a 3 year contract extension at an increase of 7% over the FT value of that position.

Limit of the extensions would be 3 years total for a Franchise Tag player.

4. Awarding comp picks for FA's lost during the FA period.

5. When should the DS designation be for players who are already on the DS and for those drafted in the current season?

6. Contract Renegotiations should have a year cap on them to what the player had or less.

7. Adding an "Inactive" designation instead of an IR slot.

8. Eliminate a FLEX starting position and replacing it with a RB and WR.

This one isn't a rule change but a process change for the commissioner. I like it and will try to do this when a bidding thread is done.
When a players UFA is complete the name of the post should be changed (if possible), just adding an "x" or "z" in front of it would eliminate a lot of opening and closing of posts.
So I know I haven’t been in the league a week yet but I’ll chime in:

1) I like the option of conditional trades but understand not wanting to be responsible for enforcing them. If the players want to take on that responsibility I see no problem with it.

2) limiting max years to 5 makes sense but I don’t like the limit based off salary. The best part of fantasy is finding a steal and getting to pay him way less than he’s worth because you found him first.

3) FT should be 1 year only no matter what

4) I tried to push for this a few years back in KFFL but was the only one to really get behind it. To me, I think if you base it on where that player finished the year at performance wise it’s an easy thing to manage. For example, if you let the #1 RB last year walk for nothing maybe you get a comp 1st at the end of the round. If you let the #2-3 RB walk you get a 2nd. If you let #4-5 you get a 3. Just an example, but doesn’t seem to complicated to me. You use the rankings based on total points scored from the season. Just a thought.

5) I haven’t had a shot to use the DS so I don’t really have an opinion either way

6) I don’t think renegotiations should be limited to 1 year. Players extend their contracts all the time.

7) I’d prefer inactive.

8) I like flex and the strategy that can go into your lineup each week with it.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am

Craig0331 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am 4) I tried to push for this a few years back in KFFL but was the only one to really get behind it. To me, I think if you base it on where that player finished the year at performance wise it’s an easy thing to manage. For example, if you let the #1 RB last year walk for nothing maybe you get a comp 1st at the end of the round. If you let the #2-3 RB walk you get a 2nd. If you let #4-5 you get a 3. Just an example, but doesn’t seem to complicated to me. You use the rankings based on total points scored from the season. Just a thought.
Eh... in the NFL, it's based on the value of the contract the player signs with his new team, not how he performed (which as we know are not always related)... and the players a team ACQUIRES in FA also negatively impact the comp picks they get. I don't like the idea of just giving people picks for players they lose... we'd have to figure out how to offset that based on the players they sign in FA.

And I don't think there's any way I'd entertain the idea of adding comp picks at the end of the FIRST round (I mean in the NFL the highest comp pick you can get is at the end of the 3rd). High 2nd round picks are valuable... that's a great spot to get pretty good players at a cheap salary and I don't think it's fair to push those picks down cuz somebody couldn't afford to FT Todd Gurley again. I'd possibly be okay with comp picks starting at the end of the 2nd round.

I dunno... I just feel like having to let players walk is part of the deal. And while adding a comp pick system might be fun, I just feel like it would be more of a pain in the a$$ than its worth.

Craig0331
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig0331 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm

TrueDawg wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am
Craig0331 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am 4) I tried to push for this a few years back in KFFL but was the only one to really get behind it. To me, I think if you base it on where that player finished the year at performance wise it’s an easy thing to manage. For example, if you let the #1 RB last year walk for nothing maybe you get a comp 1st at the end of the round. If you let the #2-3 RB walk you get a 2nd. If you let #4-5 you get a 3. Just an example, but doesn’t seem to complicated to me. You use the rankings based on total points scored from the season. Just a thought.
Eh... in the NFL, it's based on the value of the contract the player signs with his new team, not how he performed (which as we know are not always related)... and the players a team ACQUIRES in FA also negatively impact the comp picks they get. I don't like the idea of just giving people picks for players they lose... we'd have to figure out how to offset that based on the players they sign in FA.

And I don't think there's any way I'd entertain the idea of adding comp picks at the end of the FIRST round (I mean in the NFL the highest comp pick you can get is at the end of the 3rd). High 2nd round picks are valuable... that's a great spot to get pretty good players at a cheap salary and I don't think it's fair to push those picks down cuz somebody couldn't afford to FT Todd Gurley again. I'd possibly be okay with comp picks starting at the end of the 2nd round.

I dunno... I just feel like having to let players walk is part of the deal. And while adding a comp pick system might be fun, I just feel like it would be more of a pain in the a$$ than its worth.
Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t we do our draft before UFA? I think making it like the league is where we start to get complicated because then you’re talking about getting rewarded for next years draft based off this years UFA. To me, it makes sense to encourage a top 5 player at the position to hit the FA market. I don’t think giving someone pick #15 for letting Todd Gurley become a FA is unreasonable personally, but I realize that I am probably alone on this one based off the responses here and in KFFL.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Craig0331 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t we do our draft before UFA? I think making it like the league is where we start to get complicated because then you’re talking about getting rewarded for next years draft based off this years UFA. To me, it makes sense to encourage a top 5 player at the position to hit the FA market. I don’t think giving someone pick #15 for letting Todd Gurley become a FA is unreasonable personally, but I realize that I am probably alone on this one based off the responses here and in KFFL.
Yes, our draft is before UFA... so you would have to award picks in NEXT year's draft for players lost in FA this year (which is how the NFL does it anyway). Regardless, I'm just not a fan of it, so...

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm

1) Too complicated to manage, agree with prohibiting
2) No, just reduce max contract to 5 years
3) One year only unless bids received
4) No
5) Agree with your suggestion of existing DS players allocated before draft and drafted players designated within 48hrs
6) No, works fine as it is
7) No
8) Keep the flex

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

I dont see us getting a lot more input here... I recommend we just get on with voting.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I wasn't suggesting eliminating Flex. I was suggesting we replace one (of two) flex spots, with another starting RB AND WR. We have ridiculously deep benches for how few players we start, especially considering this is PPR.

We currently start: QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

I was suggesting we start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX

VanElls
Role Player
Role Player

Postby VanElls » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm

1. Prohibit conditional trades. I feel they only present a potential problem.

2. Contracts should be capped at 5 years.

3. FT and TT should be one year. We don't need to reinvent fantasy football here.

4. No. If you lose a player then you move on. Again, we don't need to over think this league.

5. Leave DS the way it is or get rid of it entirely. Roster sizes are large in our league already.

6. No

7. Keep it the way it is.

8. No rule change is necessary

StuUKWI
Captain
Captain

Postby StuUKWI » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:21 am

monkeybones wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am
1. Prohibit conditional trades - Each trade should be posted and completed when the trade is finalized. No team should "owe" another team anything at any point. Trades should be done and over with once they are approved and confirmed.

2. Change contract years structure to resemble more closely to that of the nfl. No player in UFA is going to sign a 6 year minimum salary deal so I suggest something as follows:

Use the FT as a 2 year contract extension at an increase of 4% over the FT value for that position.
Use the FT as a 3 year contract extension at an increase of 7% over the FT value of that position.

5. When should the DS designation be for players who are already on the DS and for those drafted in the current season?

6. Contract Renegotiations should have a year cap on them to what the player had or less.

1. - I'd probably side with no conditional trades but not a big deal either way for me.
2 - I like the current system.
8 - I think this is one of those changes that we'd have to implement a season or two ahead of time. You could have an owner who based his team around having just one RB and a bunch of receivers. I think they'd need time to adapt.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 pm

1. no conditional trades tracking would be impossible

2. I agree that no league min contract would be signed for multiple years. Min contracts in the NFL are 1 year deals. Teams do retain 1st right of refusal for ensuing years but the salary in those cases always increases. League min is also based on service time. I may be wrong on this but I think it is.

3. I'm good with the idea of 1 year deal unless there is a bid.

4. No comp picks. Who determines this? in the NFL it is based off of how many UFA you add vs how many UFA you lost and there are a million other rules.

5. Players already on the DS should be designated prior to the draft. If you fill your slots then either move one up or cut them.

6. I think contract renegotiations should be allowed to give years. Everyone has a shot at these players at only a cost of the contract. There is zero reason to limit a team for keeping a player at a reduced cost. Also as it was stated many times a player is reduced to lessen the cap hit or reduce the years to get a bad contract off the books the following season.

7. Am I the only one that finds it a bit sad we now have to add an inactive spot to accommodate players who are suspended for domestic violence? I mean I don't care but it is a sad state of the NFL.

8. I'd be more inclined to eliminate TE in favor of another flex position but I don't really feel that mandating it to a RB or a WR would be beneficial. This is a 14 team league already and unlike most leagues we are starting players that may get 3 targets tops.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 am

monkeybones wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am Here is the original rule change suggestion thread: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=145165

I know we need another owner but I'd like to at least start the discussion with the following items:

contract value of $1000 per year or less will be allowed a max of 2 years of control.
contract value of $1001-$5000 per year will be given a max of 3 years of control.
contract value of $5001-$10000 per year will be given a max of 4 years of control.
contract value of $10001+ per year will be given a max of 5 years of control.

This would also cap the max years given to 5 years instead of the current 6.

Limit of the extensions would be 3 years total for a Franchise Tag player.

This one isn't a rule change but a process change for the commissioner. I like it and will try to do this when a bidding thread is done.
When a players UFA is complete the name of the post should be changed (if possible), just adding an "x" or "z" in front of it would eliminate a lot of opening and closing of posts.
I've created threads for all of these except #6 because everyone seemed to be against it from the discussion. There is no reason to vote on something with absolutely no support.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 am

Let's discuss what everyone wants to do with the DS promotion/demotion timeline. From the voting thread it appears more people are in favor of making it later than earlier. I don't care either way but I'd like it spelled out in the rules.

Should we move all DS transactions to right before the start of the regular season? Should we make it available as soon as the draft is done and people can add players to the DS whenever they want knowing that once they do so they cannot promote the player without giving him the appropriate DS contract? Should we just get rid of the DS?

If we move all DS demotions to right before the draft then owners will have to use one of their 19 roster spots on a player they plan to put on the DS. That doesn't make much sense to me. I see no downside to making the DS demotion available right after the draft but once a player is placed on the DS he cannot be promoted at his old salary. It has to be at the new DS salary. The DS might be more work than it's worth?

I'm more in favor of making the demotion available right after the draft or eliminating the DS altogether.

As for promotions from the DS to an active roster. I'm fine with moving it to right before the start of the season.

Thoughts?

I'd like people to weigh in so I can create a voting thread where people can make a choice and we can get something more concrete in the rules.

Craig0331
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig0331 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 am

Seems like right before the season makes the most sense.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 am

Craig0331 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 am Seems like right before the season makes the most sense.
For which part? Or both?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am

monkeybones wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 am Let's discuss what everyone wants to do with the DS promotion/demotion timeline. From the voting thread it appears more people are in favor of making it later than earlier. I don't care either way but I'd like it spelled out in the rules.

Should we move all DS transactions to right before the start of the regular season? Should we make it available as soon as the draft is done and people can add players to the DS whenever they want knowing that once they do so they cannot promote the player without giving him the appropriate DS contract? Should we just get rid of the DS?

If we move all DS demotions to right before the draft then owners will have to use one of their 19 roster spots on a player they plan to put on the DS. That doesn't make much sense to me. I see no downside to making the DS demotion available right after the draft but once a player is placed on the DS he cannot be promoted at his old salary. It has to be at the new DS salary. The DS might be more work than it's worth?

I'm more in favor of making the demotion available right after the draft or eliminating the DS altogether.

As for promotions from the DS to an active roster. I'm fine with moving it to right before the start of the season.

Thoughts?

I'd like people to weigh in so I can create a voting thread where people can make a choice and we can get something more concrete in the rules.
This is really simple... So during the offseason, you can carry 21 players on your roster (sortof like how NFL teams carry 90-man rosters through most of the offseason). But two of them have to be DS-eligible. And we make Sept. 1st the start of the "regular season". That's roughly a week before games start. This is basically "cutdown day", when everyone's roster has to be legal per regular season rules. All offseason activities are concluded, so DS demotions / promotions, etc. all have to be done.

So if you draft a guy this year, you have to demote him to DS by Sept 1st. And if you drafted a guy last year, you have until Sept 1st to promote him at the 1st year DS salary. After the "regular season" starts (and before Sept 1st of the next year), he'd get the 2nd year salary if you promote him.

I would also say people CAN declare their DS demotions / promotions prior to the deadline... but once you do, there's no going back.