TE
FT: $16.135
TT: $12.371

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2018 Franchise Tag & Transition Tag Amounts

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 pm

FT I believe is 120% if a player's salary is already more than the FT, but TT is not, right? So it's possible to have a player take basically a pay cut if using the TT and he isn't bid higher of course?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 pm FT I believe is 120% if a player's salary is already more than the FT, but TT is not, right? So it's possible to have a player take basically a pay cut if using the TT and he isn't bid higher of course?
They're both just the tender amount, which is the start for the bidding process. And there's no compensation with the transition tag like there is for the FT.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:31 am

Franchise/Transition Tags

Owners are allowed to use the Franchise Tag or Transition Tag on one player per off-season. Any player with an expiring (0 years left) contract will be eligible. The current year franchise tag amount will be the prior year average of the top five players at his position or a 120% of the player's current salary, whichever is greater. The current year transition tag amount will be the prior year average of the top 10 players at his position. Once the tag is applied the player is then available for open bidding (using UFA rules).

Frachise Tag: The controlling owner has the right to match the highest bid. If the owner declines to match than the player will go to the highest bidder at the cost of two 1st round picks (or negotiated price). To be eligible to bid on a franchised player an owner MUST have at least two first round picks within the next two years in the event the controlling does not match. If the bidding owner has more than two first round picks, the controlling owner may pick the two they want. Compensation can be negotiated if the controlling owner is willing to accept less than two 1sts. There is no obligation to do so.

Transition Tag: The controlling owner has the right to match the highest bid. If the owner declines to match than the player will go to the highest bidder and the controlling owner receives no compensation.

At the appropriate time the controlling owner may sign the player to a contract not to exceed 6 years.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 pm FT I believe is 120% if a player's salary is already more than the FT, but TT is not, right? So it's possible to have a player take basically a pay cut if using the TT and he isn't bid higher of course?
Based on the way the rule is written I suppose a player given the TT could get a price reduction. I'm not sure how or why that would happen but I suppose it could.

Is this something we need to address in the rules changes?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:26 am

monkeybones wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am Based on the way the rule is written I suppose a player given the TT could get a price reduction. I'm not sure how or why that would happen but I suppose it could.

Is this something we need to address in the rules changes?
Eh... as I said in the rules discussion thread, I don't think so. I'm guessing this question was asked in relation to Delanie Walker. At $22,5000, he's an aging player who was probably grossly overpaid last year, even though he was the #4 TE. This is what happens to aging vets. The market will decide his value I think.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah I really don't think we should change that. The FT has its purpose, so does the TT. If Walker is really worth that kind of money, the league will decide he is. I don't see why we should make the TT basically a 2nd FT where you don't get comp. Isn't the whole point of it to take more of a risk while potentially saving a bit of money?

BTW, do we usually propose random rule changes during the summer to change the coming season? I don't remember that, I thought it was mostly like a yearly cycle type thing. Seems potentially unfair depending on what rule gets suggested and if it passes.