The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

2018 Rule Change Suggestions

Postby monkeybones » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:58 am

Prohibit conditional trades

Each trade should be posted and completed when the trade is finalized. No team should "owe" another team anything at any point. Trades should be done and over with once they are approved and confirmed.

SSHoundz
Role Player
Role Player

Re: 2018 Rule Change Suggestions

Postby SSHoundz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

When a players UFA is complete the name of the post should be changed (if possible), just adding an "x" or "z" in front of it would eliminate a lot of opening and closing of posts.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 pm

SSHoundz wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm When a players UFA is complete the name of the post should be changed (if possible), just adding an "x" or "z" in front of it would eliminate a lot of opening and closing of posts.
That's a good idea

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Change contract years structure to resemble more closely to that of the nfl. No player in UFA is going to sign a 6 year minimum salary deal so I suggest something as follows.

contract value of $1000 per year or less will be allowed a max of 2 years of control.
contract value of $1001-$5000 per year will be given a max of 3 years of control.
contract value of $5001-$10000 per year will be given a max of 4 years of control.
contract value of $10001+ per year will be given a max of 5 years of control.

This would also cap the max years given to 5 years instead of the current 6.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 pm

There needs to be some adjustments made to the current Franchise and Transition tag system we have got.

When it comes to the Transition Tag, it's a cheaper option and no player would sign a multi year deal for that so we limit it to a 1 year deal.

The Franchise Tag is used in the NFL to work out a contract extension and I thnk we can do that here with some creativity. My suggestion is as follows but by no means is how it would have to be done but I think it's at least a starting point.

Use the FT at face value for 1 year
Use the FT as a 2 year contract extension at an increase of 4% over the FT value for that position.
Use the FT as a 3 year contract extension at an increase of 7% over the FT value of that position.

Limit of the extensions would be 3 years total for a Franchise Tag player.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Nice ideas, especially the contract lengths

a 3 year FT seems like it deserves more than 7% tbh, that's pretty low (and also random and tougher to add up, heh)

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 pm

The %'s are something we could determine throughout this season and are really there to have something there just place a value there. I don't disagree that they may be low because a TE would only increase 1k per year over 3 year deal and a WR would increase by 3k per year over a 3 year deal. something like 5% and 10% might be more in line.

SSHoundz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SSHoundz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Some quick ideas/questions:
* Why did we change players picked up during the season to 1 yr deals? Just asking, not sure I really care that much.
* Why are suspended players allowed to be stashed on IR? That doesn't make sense to me. If you wanna keep'm pay the piper.
* We should hold of DS assignments right up until the season starts, a week before max. Seems like the longer the look the better the decision could be.

SSHoundz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SSHoundz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Losing players via RFA or FT - offer up supplemental picks for losing a star player (not that I have anybody that'd fit that category):
* player was in top 3 at his position you'd get a pick at the top of the 2nd round
* player was 4th-6th at his position you'd get a pick at the top of the 3rd round
* player was 7th-10th at his position you'd get a pick at the end of the draft
If multiples most points determines order.
I don't think these guys move very often but more weird rules ='s more fun...

SSHoundz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SSHoundz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Dionosys wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm Change contract years structure to resemble more closely to that of the nfl. No player in UFA is going to sign a 6 year minimum salary deal so I suggest something as follows.

contract value of $1000 per year or less will be allowed a max of 2 years of control.
contract value of $1001-$5000 per year will be given a max of 3 years of control.
contract value of $5001-$10000 per year will be given a max of 4 years of control.

Great idea "if" the players are ranked in the top ?? at their position, but if you take a flier on some young guy and are willing to risk the roster spot & extra cap hit dollars if cut, you should be able to max the years out if you want (5 or 6 or whatever it might be).

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm

SSHoundz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 pm Some quick ideas/questions:
* Why did we change players picked up during the season to 1 yr deals? Just asking, not sure I really care that much.
* Why are suspended players allowed to be stashed on IR? That doesn't make sense to me. If you wanna keep'm pay the piper.
* We should hold of DS assignments right up until the season starts, a week before max. Seems like the longer the look the better the decision could be.
1. 1 year contract for in season was done for a couple see if of reasons. First is simplification to keep them all the same it makes it easier. Another is you put in a blind bid and you win over other teams then you get them for the remainder of the season unlike UFA where the leading bid is exposed for 48 hours before the bid process is complete making it so other teams can still get in on the process.

2. Suspended players and IR players still count against your cap. However the NFL does had a suspended list that they can place players on and they don't count against the 53 man roster. We just used the IR because it was already in place on MFL.

3. I do think we need to make a specific due date for DS players. The DS timeline is a gray area and it may be due to the fact that last year we moved the draft ahead of free agency. In the past we did free agency prior to the draft and that allowed us to simply place players on the DS prior to the start of the season if you didn't have enough roster spots. I think teams still run into the lack of roster spots and the DS is a place to stash an extra guy. This is something I do think we can discuss further to come up with a better way of doing things.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:17 pm

SSHoundz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm Losing players via RFA or FT - offer up supplemental picks for losing a star player (not that I have anybody that'd fit that category):
* player was in top 3 at his position you'd get a pick at the top of the 2nd round
* player was 4th-6th at his position you'd get a pick at the top of the 3rd round
* player was 7th-10th at his position you'd get a pick at the end of the draft
If multiples most points determines order.
I don't think these guys move very often but more weird rules ='s more fun...
I don't like the idea of a comp pick system. What happened that caused you to lose that elite player? Too much payroll elsewhere? Did you have 2 elite QB and can only start 1 of them? Did you not want to pony up for a 1 year wonder? Also the way the NFL works is the picks come at the end of round 3-7 and I'm pretty sure there are other factors that come into play as well.
I'm also not sure if MFL will even allow a comp pick to be added into the draft order and it would be a nightmare to track.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

SSHoundz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm
Dionosys wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm Change contract years structure to resemble more closely to that of the nfl. No player in UFA is going to sign a 6 year minimum salary deal so I suggest something as follows.

Great idea "if" the players are ranked in the top ?? at their position, but if you take a flier on some young guy and are willing to risk the roster spot & extra cap hit dollars if cut, you should be able to max the years out if you want (5 or 6 or whatever it might be).
Top players would fall into that $5001+ area and you could give them 4-5 years. The lottery ticket players or what I call "prove it" contracts have no risk other than the roster spot. The cap hit on a 5 year, $1000 deal is $1000. There really is no risk there at all if you cut bait and run. The reason behind this would be to keep a competitive balance within the league.
You signed a UDFA RB who all of a sudden finds himself as a starter and blows up the league with big rushing yards and TD and you have him for 2 years at $300. That is a super cheap contract and you get 2 years of it before that player either hits the market to get a FMV deal or you place a tag on him. Like I mentioned in my original statement on the matter, no player in the NFL would ever sign a prove it deal for more than 2 or 3 years.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 pm

I noticed what could be a loophole and I want to put something in place next year to close that.

Contract Renegotiations should have a year cap on them to what the player had or less. We should limit it to that so it doesn't become a way to sign an extension. It's already restricted for injury so I don't see why this doesn't get cleaned up as well.

This restriction would apply only to the controlling owner and years would have to be in place prior to a trade. If another team were to submit an unmatched bid then winning team would be allowed to assign years.

VanElls
Role Player
Role Player

Postby VanElls » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

New guy here with 2 suggestions:
1. Fewer rules
2. One website that works seamlessly