Ring of Fame

UFA Jonnu Smith, TE, TEN

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 am

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: UFA Jonnu Smith, TE, TEN

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

Done....6 years (or whatever the max is)

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm

It's 6 for FA...

I think we need to address that next offseason. If you draft a rookie, they get 4 years, with an optional 5th if they're a first rounder. If you put them on your DS, then promote, you can only give them four years as well...

So why can an UDFA be given 6? Not a huge deal, but it seems kinda backwards.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm It's 6 for FA...

I think we need to address that next offseason. If you draft a rookie, they get 4 years, with an optional 5th if they're a first rounder. If you put them on your DS, then promote, you can only give them four years as well...

I don't disagree... although I'm not sure the fact that he's a rookie is relevant. There's not much left after the draft. I'm just throwing a dart here.

I'm not sure we should be able to give ANYONE a contract longer than 5 years. I'm not sure how we arrived at 6 years but...

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't disagree. I think player movement is too restricted in this league and the current FT option is too "powerful," especially for QBs, since the market rate has been held artificially low by the franchise tag at that position moreso than any other.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm I don't disagree. I think player movement is too restricted in this league and the current FT option is too "powerful," especially for QBs, since the market rate has been held artificially low by the franchise tag at that position moreso than any other.
Agreed...FT should be 1 year unless somebody bids, like KFFL

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Having just traded for ODB, I think that might too drastic of a change at once, but starting to move toward that incrementally would probably be a good idea.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm Having just traded for ODB, I think that might too drastic of a change at once, but starting to move toward that incrementally would probably be a good idea.
Yeah I'm sure people who have players eligible for the FT next year will complain about it. And then people with players eligible the year after will complain... and so on...

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 am

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm It's 6 for FA...

That's not exactly true but I'm not sure what the limit is because the rules aren't clear. Smith is not a veteran so I'm thinking the limit should be 4 but that's not specifically addressed in the rules.

I'm going to look back and see what the actual vote says.

Here is the rule:
Signing Contracts

Any player drafted or acquired via any form of free agency MUST be assigned at least a one year contract. When a team owner assigns a number of contract years to a player by posting it on the DLF message board, the contract is fixed and may not be altered.

Contract years must be assigned within 48 hours of the conclusion of the bid process. If this time limit is not met then a 1 year contract will be assigned to that player.

Contracts are signed in 1 year increments. After the end of the year on a date decided by the commissioner contracts are “cycled”, and one year is rolled off of each player’s contract. All players with 0 years left after contracts are cycled are considered UFA and the previous owner loses all rights to these players unless the owner chooses to use the Franchise/Transition Tag on a player.

Prior to the 2016 league year all drafted rookies were given a 4 year contract with a 5th year option. Beginning with the 2016 league year all rookies drafted in the 1st round are given a 4 year contract with a 5th year option. All rookies drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are given a 4 year contract without the 5th year option. This 5th year option must be exercised prior to the start of the UFA period. Typically, this decision will need to be made at or around the same time as PS/DS designations. Drafted rookies are eligible to be placed on the DS prior to the automatic 4 year contract option being applied. Once a drafted rookie is placed on the DS the DS rules apply.

Contracts for veteran players are capped at 6 years. Veteran players are defined as any player not considered a drafted rookie in the current year.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 am

I couldn't find the discussion on rules so maybe it happened while we were on KFFL?

I don't really care either way. Just want to get it right.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 am

monkeybones wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 am I couldn't find the discussion on rules so maybe it happened while we were on KFFL?

I don't really care either way. Just want to get it right.
I read the rules before I posted his contract and I saw the bolded part above, which I think makes him eligible for 6 years.

I think it should be changed but that's how I read the current rules.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 am

Being that he wasn't a drafted rookie he will be listed under UFA limits of 6 years.

I do think we should define this more in the rules and this is also something we need to discuss for contract length for UFA and tags in the rules for 2018. We will open a discussion board for 2018 rules soon and make it an announcement thread.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 am

6 year contract it is.

Updated on MFL