UFA: Phillip Rivers, QB, SD

The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: UFA: Phillip Rivers, QB, SD

Postby monkeybones » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why you would cut a good QB when you're not close to the salary cap or roster size cap?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:32 pm

monkeybones wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why you would cut a good QB when you're not close to the salary cap or roster size cap?
So he could watch everyone bid on him and then complain that nobody would give him a 3rd in trade. :lol:

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:37 pm

TrueDawg wrote:
Multiple Scorgasms wrote:LOL sure. Well enjoy the already more expensive player you could've had for a swap of 3rds... prized "assets" I'm sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If 3rds are so irrelevant, stop whining that nobody gave you one. :lol:
You're smarter than this. It's the league activity as I've mentioned before. I mean Rivers at 12k for a swap of 3rds to a contending team with an inferior QB... well it's just a fact that that's a good deal and would've been jumped on in most leagues. But then he does quickly get bid up MORE than he cost, so who knows. No skin off my nose, I signed him to trade (oh the horror... why are some still confused by this concept?) him. I'm not gonna keep Rivers and Manning on a rebuilding team am I... I'm only keeping Manning as a trade chip, but I'm sure I'll just release him when he's putting up monster numbers and no one wants to trade their bum and a 3rd for him and a later 3rd. Heh.

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:44 pm

I saw no reason to trade for him but I have a top 5 QB in Brady and don't feel that Rivers is a major upgrade over Flacco. I don't feel that signing him to trade is a bad thing. I would have just kept Rivers though and waited until an injury forced a team into making a deal. Not my team though so that choice is left to you.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Multiple Scorgasms wrote:
TrueDawg wrote:
Multiple Scorgasms wrote:LOL sure. Well enjoy the already more expensive player you could've had for a swap of 3rds... prized "assets" I'm sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If 3rds are so irrelevant, stop whining that nobody gave you one. :lol:
You're smarter than this. It's the league activity as I've mentioned before. I mean Rivers at 12k for a swap of 3rds to a contending team with an inferior QB... well it's just a fact that that's a good deal and would've been jumped on in most leagues. But then he does quickly get bid up MORE than he cost, so who knows. No skin off my nose, I signed him to trade (oh the horror... why are some still confused by this concept?) him. I'm not gonna keep Rivers and Manning on a rebuilding team am I... I'm only keeping Manning as a trade chip, but I'm sure I'll just release him when he's putting up monster numbers and no one wants to trade their bum and a 3rd for him and a later 3rd. Heh.
There is nothing wrong with signing him to trade him. I just don't understand why you are so upset that no one wanted to trade with you?

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 am

I'm not upset. :D I just find it stupid. It's more frustrating when I actually care about getting some value back. Whatever though, it looks like a much bigger deal when 3 or 4 people jump in and I respond. I really DC.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:59 am

If you only signed him to trade, then it doesn't really make sense to cut him now. As I pointed out earlier, he was the #12 QB in this league last year. His ADP is about that, or even a little lower. I got him 15th in a 16-team redraft last week (one team had drafted their backup). In other words, most teams have a better fantasy QB, and he's not a big enough upgrade for the few teams that don't to justify giving anything for him. Of course, that could change significantly during the season if a contending team lost their QB, but you didn't allow that to happen.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am

Xulu Bak wrote:...In other words, most teams have a better fantasy QB, and he's not a big enough upgrade for the few teams that don't to justify giving anything for him.
That's why I didn't bother...I don't view Rivers as significantly better than Bridgewater, at least not enough to justify the additional salary or moving assets to get him. And even if I did, adding Rivers (or Manning) dosen't make my team a condenter.

Besides, when Grandpa Manning gets hurt, I've got Osweiler.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:39 pm

This was done Thursday at 9:14am. No years were given within 24 hours of the bidding being done so Rivers will be given an automatic 1 year contract.