The Rookie Draft is nearly here

The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: The Rookie Draft is nearly here

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 am

Looking at a few different guys at 3.07 but open to trading...shoot me an offer if you're interested. Otherwise I'll probably pick in a few hours.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Lot of options but went with Smelter...injured, but he's big, physical, fast, good after the catch, and a willing blocker. I think he has big upside and a clearer path to a starting job than some other guys, as Boldin probably won't be back next year. Boom or bust, but isn't that what 3rd rounders are for?

I probably would have preferred to go RB but there wasn't one on the board I really liked...at least not one I liked more than Smelter. Liked some other WRs too but they were all buried on the depth chart.

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm

TrueDawg wrote:Lot of options but went with Smelter...injured, but he's big, physical, fast, good after the catch, and a willing blocker. I think he has big upside and a clearer path to a starting job than some other guys, as Boldin probably won't be back next year. Boom or bust, but isn't that what 3rd rounders are for?

I probably would have preferred to go RB but there wasn't one on the board I really liked...at least not one I liked more than Smelter. Liked some other WRs too but they were all buried on the depth chart.
Looks like you're just copying my KFFL draft :wink:

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Dre wrote:Looks like you're just copying my KFFL draft :wink:
I don't trust your judgement that much, pal.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:24 pm

If anyone's looking to get out of the bottom of the 3rd, I am interested in acquiring a pick.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:16 am

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

How good is that Funchess pick looking now!!

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Dre wrote:How good is that Funchess pick looking now!!
It would be great if he was actually a receiver!

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:24 pm

If anything, it looks worse now. Funchess has questionable athleticism and hands for a WR. At least Benjamin would have drawn primary coverage considerations, but without him...yuck. Maybe Cam will channel Jay Cutler and pretend Funchess is Brandon Marshall...

Biggest thing he has going for him is Carolina is the only team in the NFCS with a competent pass D.

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Xulu Bak wrote:
If anything, it looks worse now. Funchess has questionable athleticism and hands for a WR. At least Benjamin would have drawn primary coverage considerations, but without him...yuck. Maybe Cam will channel Jay Cutler and pretend Funchess is Brandon Marshall...

Biggest thing he has going for him is Carolina is the only team in the NFCS with a competent pass D.
You are kidding right?

I know he's not the most athletic guy but come on, he's already been doing great in camp and Carolina has talked about wanting to get him heavily involved, he did a nice job in preseason and now their number 1 WR and leader in targets is gone. Funchess is gonna get a heap of work and the whole 'he's gonna get extra attention now with no primary WR opposite him' argument is baloney IMO, people just use that to downgrade guys they never liked anyway.

I don't see how this is anything but a boost for Funchess

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Really happy with my draft, I think Duke, Funchess and Allen could be a nice young core in a few years.

I took a flyer on Grayson, I'll stash him and see if he develops in the future

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Haha couldn't help yourself ay Bloodbuzz

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Dre wrote:Really happy with my draft, I think Duke, Funchess and Allen could be a nice young core in a few years.

I think everyone probably is happy with their draft at this point. I like Duke and Allen...you know how I feel about Funchess though. And usually I don't think opportunity can overcome a lack of talent, particularly when your QB is Cam Newton. I also sortof agree with Xulu...defenses will roll coverage to Funchess and make Ted Ginn (LOL) beat them.

Most of my picks are pretty boom or bust...Strong, Ajayi, Robinson, and Smelter. But I don't think I really need any of these guys to contribute much this season (I expect to be pretty middle of the road this year...my success hinges on Bridgewater). Strong should eventually emerge as the #2 WR in Houston...I just hope they fix their QB situation next year. Ajayi has all the talent in the world...hopefully he shows it, and Miami refuses to pay Miller. Robinson could be a TD vulture this year and Gore can't play much longer, can he? Smelter will redshirt but I hope he replaces Boldin as SF's #1 WR. I considered several other guys instead of Smelter, including Coates and Montgomery...they both have quite an uphill battle to get significant snaps, even though they have significantly better QBs.

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:25 pm

TrueDawg wrote:
Dre wrote:Really happy with my draft, I think Duke, Funchess and Allen could be a nice young core in a few years.

I think everyone probably is happy with their draft at this point. I like Duke and Allen...you know how I feel about Funchess though. And usually I don't think opportunity can overcome a lack of talent, particularly when your QB is Cam Newton. I also sortof agree with Xulu...defenses will roll coverage to Funchess and make Ted Ginn (LOL) beat them.

Most of my picks are pretty boom or bust...Strong, Ajayi, Robinson, and Smelter. But I don't think I really need any of these guys to contribute much this season (I expect to be pretty middle of the road this year...my success hinges on Bridgewater). Strong should eventually emerge as the #2 WR in Houston...I just hope they fix their QB situation next year. Ajayi has all the talent in the world...hopefully he shows it, and Miami refuses to pay Miller. Robinson could be a TD vulture this year and Gore can't play much longer, can he? Smelter will redshirt but I hope he replaces Boldin as SF's #1 WR. I considered several other guys instead of Smelter, including Coates and Montgomery...they both have quite an uphill battle to get significant snaps, even though they have significantly better QBs.
I like your Strong and Robinson picks, I was actually hoping to get Strong but ended up with Funchess. I think Strong could be a real nice contributor in a year or two

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

FYI the KFFL forums are back up and running

Are we staying here or moving back?