How to value IDP's in trades?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
BJax21
Rookie
Rookie

How to value IDP's in trades?

Postby BJax21 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 am

I'm relatively new to both IDP and Dynasty and I was wondering if there was any sort of good rule of thumb in valuing IDPs in trades? Specifically in terms of trading an IDP for a rookie draft pick. For example are there any IDPs that could bring a 1st or is that a pipe dream?
10 team PPR IDP.
1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K.
1 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 2 C, 2 S.

QB's: Rivers, RG3, Flynn, Kaepernick
WR's: Wallace, Maclin, Rice, Wayne, A. Brown, Boldin, Wright, Jeffery, Little, DHB
RB's: Richardson, McFadden, Ingram, L. Miller, K. Hunter, Hillman, B.Wells, Felix Jones
TE's: Hernandez, Cook, J. Thomas,
K's: Hartley, Barth

DT's: Rubin
DE's: Avril, M. Johnson, Hardy, Morgan, Cole
LB's: Willis, Lee, Angerer, Bowman, McCarthy, Sheppard , Butler, Barnnet
CB's C. Williams, R. Marshall, D. Robinson
S's: Chung, Harper, D. Landry, Chancellor, Burnett

Lions01
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How to value IDP's in trades?

Postby Lions01 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Yea i mean some linebackers could. Look at a guy like Willis, or Lauranitis, etc...i mean the nice and pretty dang consistently good points you get from them is worth a first to me anyday. Now a 1.1 - 1.5, id have to think hard, but id trade a 1.6+ for a guy like Willis if i didnt have a solid stable of linebackers. Far as DE's, no way, and DB's still wouldnt do it...while there are some "elite" db's, even they can suffer inconsistencies game to game and year to year, I mean, look at TJ Ward this year. Not to mention DBs can always be found on waiver wires it seems. Basically, in valuing IDPs in general though, I like to look at A) what position (linebacker generally worth more in tackle heavy leagues), DBs second to me, and DE's 3rd. B) What you need/ and where you have depth, obviously if you can part with a guy and not take much of a hit to your overall roster but gain a solid player elsewhere where you need help, it may be worth it even if the deal doesnt favor you a LOT. Once you know those things, I like guys who have shown some consistent play over more then just a few games. Some guys boom then just disappear...look @ verner last year...situation made him a beast, young so qb's threw at em = tackles, now Mccourty pushed em outta the way entirely. Again you cant expect massive games like you do with an elite rb or wr, i mean sometimes they have em, but not as likely, with IDPs i really look more @ consistency of good points. To me that makes them a reliable every week starter, and imo that beats a boom or bust guy week to week.

Typically, I find its easier to work a multi-player trade when using IDPs and rookie picks however. Like a player and a pick for a player and an IDP, seems a lot of people are more inclined to make the trade with an offensive player in the mix then just idp guys. Probably stems from a lot of people coming from offense only leagues, and valuing them a lot more. Just my experience!
---12 Team IDP dynasty
QB: Flacco/Cassel
RB: Mendenhall/Greene
WR: Roddy White/Miles Ausin, Julio Jones
TE: Finley/Boss
DE: Umenyiora, Peppers, KVB,
LB: Lofton, Lewis, D. Washington, D. Smith, G.Hayes
DB: Tyvon Branch, TJ Ward, Goldson, Webb, Chris Hope
---12 Team IDP dynasty
QB: Ryan/Flacco
RB: Mcfadden, Gore, Grant/Jacobs
WR: Wayne, Wallace, Knox,T. Smith/J. Jones
TE: Tony G.
DE: Tuck, K. WIlliams, Campbell
LB: DJ Williams, Lewis, Dqwell J.
DB: Pollard, Hope, Tillman, J. McCourty

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Everything depends on scoring and how deep the draft is on the offensive side. A top DL like J.Allen or Suh is easily worth a mid/late first rounder in trade. A stud LB can be worth the same like Willis. A non-stud elite IDP LB or DL player would never be worth a first. IDP's aren't as valued in trades, because they just will never be as valuable as top offensive talent. Supply and demand dictates that offensive players are worth more then defensive almost regardless of the scoring. The first round picks are typically coveted as the best shots for offensive talent. The need or chance to pick up the rarer offensive talent makes trading an IDP for a first round pick difficult. IDP talent is typically secondary because IDP talent is easier to get.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 am

Great posts guys! This is what makes the boards awesome...just joined an IDP league this summer and I am really liking it! I know there are few DLFers that comment on IDP but I appreciate the info!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:47 pm

BJax21 wrote:... For example are there any IDPs that could bring a 1st or is that a pipe dream?
All IDP questions depend very much on the league your in, specifically the scoring.

Some IDPs are absolutely worth first round picks in the dynasty leagues I'm in, where defense and offense are equally weighted.

For some examples, Rolando McClain was taken at 1.04 (16 team league) a couple years ago and Eric Berry was taken at 1.05 last year.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ