DEF and IDP Drafting Strategy - Need Help!!

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Patsfan
Role Player
Role Player

DEF and IDP Drafting Strategy - Need Help!!

Postby Patsfan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 am

Hey Guys,
I want to run my proposed IDP & DEF drafting strategy by this forum to se if it makes sense or if I am out to lunch. Here is the situation:

I currently have too many offensive players on my roster and will need to adjust it in order to field a full team of 3 IDPs, 1 DEF and 1 K. We are currently unable to trade for 2012 draft picks, but will be able to do so at the beginning of the NFL season (I definitely hate that restriction - it is killing me). Rather than drop the likes of M. Bush, Winslow, Gronkowski and/or Britt to pick up those positions, I prefer to wait until the season starts and then attempt to trade them for 2012 picks. The drawback with that approach is I will miss out on the better DEF and IDP's; however, I could employ a week to week match up approach for my DEF and then pick up a couple of half decent IDPs on the waiver wire.

So, my question is... should I pick up a DEF or an IDP with my last draft pick? There is very little difference between most of the IDPs after the top 5 or so. DEF, on the otherhand, can be very unpredictable from week to week depending on the matchup and can actually score negative points if they get blown away.

So, Option 1) pick up the best available DEF and then pick up IDP's once the season starts; or,

Option 2) pick up the best available IDP and then pick up the remaining IDP's and pick up the best matchup DEF every week; or,

Option 3) pick up yet another offensive player since it will be the 3rd round of our rookie/FA draft and I may be able to get better trade value for that offensive player.

Which option would you choose?

Thanks
12 team Dynasty H2H League (0.5 PPR)
Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, D, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR, IR, IR
Pass: 1pt/25yds and 4pts/TD
Rush/Rec: 1pt/10yds and 6pts/TD
Team:
QB: Mahomes
RB: D. Harris/AJ Dillon/Javonte Williams
WR: Julio Jones/Cooks/Landry/D. Adams/M.Williams/C. Sutton/DK. Metcalf/Jeudy/Jefferson
TE: Hockenson/D. Goedert/Trautman
K: TBD
DEF: PIT/NE
IDP: J. Schobert/D. White/TBD
Picks: 2.04,3.04

Madster
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: DEF and IDP Drafting Strategy - Need Help!!

Postby Madster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 am

Definitely not option 1, team DEF are simply too hard to predict.

You say that you can't trade 2012 draft picks, but what about players?

You already look insanely strong at WR, so I would try to bundle one of those with one of you RBs to get an RB upgrade - that would get you room for another IDP.
Or maybe you can even get an RB upgrade + a good IDP.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: DEF and IDP Drafting Strategy - Need Help!!

Postby meineymoe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:11 pm

You know the trading history best of your league, so you know if people are willing to give up stud IDPs and at what cost.

I would lean towards taking the best IDP available, hopefully a stud-potential middle linebacker.

-oo-