Advice for IDP Newbie in startup draft

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
WhiskeyThrilla
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Advice for IDP Newbie in startup draft

Postby WhiskeyThrilla » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am

This is my first IDP startup draft and I'm contemplating taking my first IDP (currently OTC at 7.01 in 16-team PPR). Current roster:

OBJ, Diggs, Devonte Freeman, Jarvis Landry, Ajayi, Newton, Agholor

We have 10 offensive starters and 11 defensive that follow a specific scheme (our choice of 3-4-4, 4-3-4, etc.). IDPs already taken:

Wagner LB
Kuechley LB
Kwon LB
Telvin LB
Mosley LB
Deion Jones LB
Bosa DE
Roquan LB
Tremaine LB
Collins DB

Who, if any of the IDP available, would be a good pick to build my defense around?

Scoring:
FF: 2.5
Int: 6
Pass Defend: 1
Tackles: 1.6
Assists: 0.8
Sacks: 2.5 for every half sack (5 per sack)\

boobam13
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Advice for IDP Newbie in startup draft

Postby boobam13 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:22 pm

I would keep loading up on offensive talent, dont be the first to take the IDP guy, and my personal preference would be to run a 4-3-4 as the scoring favors sacks and INTs over tackles - so guys like Von Miller would be as valuable as a CJ Mosely type guy
12Team/PPR/1QB-2RB-2WR-1TE-1FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2013 and 2017 Champion*
53 Man Rosters - Active (46) Practice Squad (7) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

12Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2019 Champion*
53 Man Rosters - Active (46) Practice Squad (7) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

16 Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3 FLEX RB/WR/TE- 1DEF Orphan Team
20 Man Rosters - Active (18) Practice Squad (2) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 am

Yep. Load up on offensive talent. Those guys are relevant for longer. IDPs tend to churn much more season to season.

Youre unlikely to be a real contender this season so get your foundation pieces in and then attack IDPs next offseason.

Having said that - Joey Bosa is by far the most attractive IDP for me there. Good DEs are far rarer than LBs. So they offer better incremental value
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wolfepack28 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:13 am

I don't think either of the responses you got were beneficial.

No, you won't be the first to take an IDP guy because you stated that 10 IDP guys have already been taken.

Yes, Bosa is an attractive IDP but you already listed him as a guy already taken.

I would take Chandler Jones or Mack since they've been reclassified as DE. Neal is also a good pick here for DB.

Hopefully you went IDP. You don't want to miss out on a stud since 10 have already been taken and it sounds like you won't be picking for a while.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 am

I'd consider grabbing some of the top ?5-10 players at DE/LB- Mack, Hunter, E Kendricks?
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:05 pm

You don't want to wait too long to lock up a couple top defensive linemen. Are defensive ends and tackles separate or all together as defensive linemen? If separate is it 2 ends and 2 tackles in the 4-3, if so you for sure want to go with 4 lbs, though either way you probably want to as it is easier to find reliable points there.

I would stay away from lbs and dbs for a while, try to lock up a couple defensive ends, maybe a tackle if required, guys like Aaron Donald, Chandler Jones, Khalil mack, cam jordan, and trey flowJordan, all good options here while someone like Myles Garrett or Danielle Hunter offers great upside if they slide at all.

If a top end safety like reshad Jones, one of the more likely to fall, is still on the board after 6 or 7 dbs are taken take a shot on him but if no elite guys fall into the very even next tier you can punt the position and take 3 or 4 guys between the db 25 and the db40.

A similar approach can be taken at lb but maybe don't wait quite as long. If you can strengthen a couple other spots and still get a couple lbs in the mid lb2 range I would go that way
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan