Demaro Davis

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
boobam13
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Demaro Davis

Postby boobam13 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Why isn't he getting any preseason love from anyone?

Been looking at several rankings for IDP and he doesn't crack a lot of top 25 ranks - is landing in NO that bad for his value?
12Team/PPR/1QB-2RB-2WR-1TE-1FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2013 and 2017 Champion*
53 Man Rosters - Active (46) Practice Squad (7) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

12Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2019 Champion*
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

16 Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3 FLEX RB/WR/TE- 1DEF Orphan Team
20 Man Rosters - Active (18) Practice Squad (2) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Demaro Davis

Postby TB3falcons » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 am

He had a career year last, to me (as an owner), I am not expecting him to match his lofty stats. Especially in a different scheme.
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 am

I've got him ranked about mid 30s for 2018.

There's a few different factors at play:
* He's been bad for most of his career. In 4 of his last 6 years [ie his whole career] PFF gave him a grade under 60. 3 of those years were under 50. 2017 was really his only "good" season.

* In raw stats you need around mid 70 solo tackles to be a top 24 LB. DD has only hit that twice with 78 in 2014 and 97 last year. His other seasons have produced 63, 57 and 59 solos. Those are low LB3/LB4 numbers.

* Dennis Allen runs a scheme that doesnt favour LBs. The top 2 LBs solo totals playing for him in NO:
2015 Stephone Anthony 70, Kikaha 32
2016 Craig Robertson 70, Nathan Stupar 39
2017 Craig Robertson 50, Manti Teo 42

His time in Oakland wasn't much more productive.

* The Saints stat crew is a fairly stingy one. This obviously factors into the point above.

* Although it looks like Davis is assured a starting role all year based on contract we thought that about AJ Klein last season too. I did at least. Klein was benched a couple of seperate times in the end.

So all in all he's a pretty poor player in both NFL and IDP terms who had a good 2017 and got a new contract off it. It looks a lot like his 2017 was an outlier and should not be used as a basis for his future production [on a different team under a different coach].
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 am

Oh - also forgot to mention that his good 2017 was based on him playing 1,118 snaps. he led the league in LB playing time last year. Only 8 LBs in the past 5 seasons have played that much. It's simply not feasible that he's on the field as much next year.

@TomDegenerate

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 pm

dlf_tomk wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 am I've got him ranked about mid 30s for 2018.

There's a few different factors at play:
* He's been bad for most of his career. In 4 of his last 6 years [ie his whole career] PFF gave him a grade under 60. 3 of those years were under 50. 2017 was really his only "good" season.

* In raw stats you need around mid 70 solo tackles to be a top 24 LB. DD has only hit that twice with 78 in 2014 and 97 last year. His other seasons have produced 63, 57 and 59 solos. Those are low LB3/LB4 numbers.

* Dennis Allen runs a scheme that doesnt favour LBs. The top 2 LBs solo totals playing for him in NO:
2015 Stephone Anthony 70, Kikaha 32
2016 Craig Robertson 70, Nathan Stupar 39
2017 Craig Robertson 50, Manti Teo 42

His time in Oakland wasn't much more productive.

* The Saints stat crew is a fairly stingy one. This obviously factors into the point above.

* Although it looks like Davis is assured a starting role all year based on contract we thought that about AJ Klein last season too. I did at least. Klein was benched a couple of seperate times in the end.

So all in all he's a pretty poor player in both NFL and IDP terms who had a good 2017 and got a new contract off it. It looks a lot like his 2017 was an outlier and should not be used as a basis for his future production [on a different team under a different coach].
In fairness the Saints haven't had any good LBs in recent years, so of course the LB stats are going to be suppressed and Allen will scheme away the weakness...
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 am

It all goes hand in hand. "LBs have produced badly because Allen was in charge" is just as relevant as "he hasnt had any good ones". And of course good ones are often not as productive because bad LBs get targeted.

You can't simply scheme around a lack of quality at LB. That's a fundamental weakness. What are you going to do? Roll both safeties down to play in the box too? Any defensive weakness is an Achilles' heel for OCs and QBs to attack because defense is fundamentally reactive.

There's a lot that needs to happen for DD to be a top 20 LB. And given the minimal return I just don't want to bet on it all coming together.

The whole situation for me is a classic case of "journeyman LB has one good year, everyone jumps on him and is shocked when he doesnt repeat it". Which is exactly what you hinted at above in this thread of course.

@TomDegenerate

boobam13
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby boobam13 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am

Right now he is LB 29 - so LB3/Flex option

Taking the over or under to have him finish the season there compared to his ranking?
12Team/PPR/1QB-2RB-2WR-1TE-1FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2013 and 2017 Champion*
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

12Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2019 Champion*
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

16 Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3 FLEX RB/WR/TE- 1DEF Orphan Team
20 Man Rosters - Active (18) Practice Squad (2) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 am

I would put him in that mid to late 20s range so I think 29 is about right. I may take him a little ahead of that but certainly not much. I think there is a chance he hits that 70 solo mark to be a top 24 guy and likely that is as good as he will do. More likely somewhere short of that. In a shallow league, only starting 24 LBs or something crazy like that I wouldnt touch him for more than waiver prices because I want upside on my bench but I don't mind taking him as part of a shotgun approach to the LB spot, especially in a deeper league, if I am getting him around that range and have others around that range to increase my odds one or two hits
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan