IDP League Scoring

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

IDP League Scoring

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:48 am

I've been watching the Help Wanted section, as i'm exploring options to join another IDP league, and as part of my vetting process i definitely check out the Starters and Scoring for the IDP side. In doing so I have been really surprised by some of the approaches that leagues take. Specifically, I am surprised at the number of Tackle Heavy leagues or unbalanced scoring leagues across the positions. An example of the latter is scoring where DBs with high tackles cover a lot of the top 10, or it is all tackle based LBs. Heck, one i just looked at had the first DL at #42 for defensive players.

As such, i'm interested to know what types of scoring you guys play in. I personally prefer Big Play scoring, with plays like TFL and QB Hits being mandatory scoring settings to help balance for pass rushers and guys who are making impact plays. I believe Tackle Heavy is the primary format used by most leagues, though i'm not entirely certain why to be honest.

In terms the league I commish, the top 10 scorers were as follows, which i thought was a fairly good display in terms of their statistical totals on the season:
Cam Jordan
Wagner
Chandler Jones
Mosley
Calais Campbell
Lawrence
Jones
Slay
Woodyard
Demario

What types of leagues do you play in, prefer (and why), and do you agree with the end results of your scoring in terms of how players finish the season in their positional or overall defensive standing?

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Re: IDP League Scoring

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:05 pm

I tend to lean toward the tackle-heavy scoring, mostly because it seems to be more consistent week-to-week. Big play scoring always seems to me like just a couple big plays here and there could wildly swing the score of a team each week.

League #1 in my sig has the exact same scoring settings for all IDPs, and most franchises start at least 4 LBs every week while the ones with good LB depth go with 6 almost every week. So that is probably the only downside that I see of tackle-heavy scoring. We just recently (after 8 years) tweaked the DL scoring AND the starting requirements so they can provide some actual value to that side of the ball. It used to be start 11 IDPs (2DL-3LB-3DB-3Flex), and we're adding one DL and dropping on Flex. I think tackle-heavy scoring can be a good scoring system if the starting requirements are just right and maybe a little boost to some of the positions that don't see as many tackle/assist stats.

League #2 is a pretty balanced scoring across positions. DTs and DEs get fewer tackles as a whole, so their tackles and assists are each worth more than a LB. S and CB fall between the DL and DB scoring for tackles. Big plays kind of follow the same model where a DL and LB get more points for pass breakup than a CB or S would, but a S or CB would get more points for TFL or sack than a LB or DL would. This league finished last year with 1 DT, 3 DE, 4 LB, 1 S, and 1 CB in the top 10 of IDP scoring. A lot more DBs and DLs find their way into the D-Flex spots in this league than in the above league, which is nice.

I like scoring in that second league more, but it still gets a little crazy sometimes when Aaron Donald has 4 tackles, 2 TFL, 6 assists, and a sack (for a total of 38 points), all while Lavonte David has 12 tackles but only gets 18 points. I suppose it isn't all that different than if a WR goes off for 12 catches, 145 yards, and a TD. Anyway, those are some of the thoughts that I think.

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: IDP League Scoring

Postby sportstalkryan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 am

Tackles may, or may not, be from a defender making a good play. If you're a LB, then the tackle was probably good. A CB? Probably because you let the receiver catch the pass first, and now we're rewarding teams for starting the crappy CB.

And tackles aren't even an official statistic, meaning that the assignment of tackles can vary wildly from team to team depending on their stat crew. There have been times when a team's stat crew used this stat for PR purposes, hyping up star players. I remember reading about longtime SI scribe Paul Zimmerman sitting next to the Ravens stat crew and berating them when they assigned a tackle to Ray Lewis, who wasn't even on the field at the time. There was another instance when the Falcons (back in the Jesse Tuggle days) assigned more tackles than there were plays in the game.

So I prefer Big Play scoring systems as they reward players for doing things that we know are good for their team.

I have even accepted, and even commish, leagues with Balanced scoring systems, just because tackles are the most frequent defensive stat, and thus help create points for teams. So I understand that side of the argument.

But please, just say no to Tackle Heavy.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.