Fix IDP leagues

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Fix IDP leagues

Postby bruiser » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm always pretty stocked at 3D LBs. However, I have the luxury of starting a DT2 instead of an LB4 in a DT-weighted league, which is a significant advantage. My DTs are Buckner and Cox. It is sad to see that there are still too many leagues that value mediocre-to-bad linebackers over elite interior linemen.

What would you do to fix IDP values that are broken in your leagues? Disclose your number of teams and starters for context. I'm looking for some good examples to use in an upcoming article.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Fix IDP leagues

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:07 pm

10 team - 2 LB 2 DL 2 DB

I would change the amount of starters; unless you have a clear top tier guy, you can usually get good productive off the wire.

This league is in the 6th year and people are kind of set in their ways, but I wish there was more defensive starters.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 pm

I think to make defensive players of all positions more equally valuable you need to start an equal portion of the NFL starters as what you do with other positions to start. Theoretically if you start for instance 1 QB 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1TE, and 2 Flexes in a 16 team league to match similar starters it would be something like 3 DEs, 2 DTs, 4 LBs 3 CBs, 3 safeties, and 2 flexes. That would increase the value of all defensive starters to the point where there is scarcity among starters everywhere.

On top of that you need to balance scoring so the top players at each position score similarly. A good way to help with the specific of making dlinemen closer to equal to linebackers is to add things like QB hits and tackles for loss and also make a sack worth enough to be a game changing play. Yes, in this system bad LBs if they are seeing snaps will still have some value but if you adjust the big plays of to where rush LBs and DEs and even DTs make more impact you will see teams that do a good job of getting role players in those positions using them more and more.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 pm

I think a lot of it comes down to the size of the league itself and then the required starter depth. I'm in four IDP leagues currently, three are 16 player equivalent and one is a single copy 32 team league. One of them that I really like the scoring in, I end up defensive flexing a DT most weeks (have Suh and Atkins). Scoring is on par with offense (Atkins is currently the number 4 overall player).

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 pm

My latest league I've joined (GLSmk is the commish) we really gave elite DLs some massive value. You start 3-4 of them but you also get huge points for sacks, QB hits, TFLs, etc.

I'll be honest, I don't think guys like Snacks Harrison, Jonathan Hankins, and Will Gholston should be valued as elite DLs in the same breath as guys like Watt, Griffen, Jordan, or Bosa.

In real life space eaters are great and they serve a purpose, but unless they're generating heat on the QB they're not as priceless as elite edge guys. There's a reason Garrett and Barnett and Takk, etc got drafted ahead of Tomlinson and Ogunjobi.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 pm

These are great! Keep em coming.

Lukky, I would disagree with the sentiment that interior DL are inferior DL. Let's just say that Watt is only a DE by base scheme, but really he'd be interior lineman in most cases. I believe he does line up at DT often. As does Leo Williams... along with a host of 6'5 300lb DLs. Let's not assume that this year's draft is an indication of positional scarcity in the NFL when talking about the interior and edge players. I assume the difference in their draft pedigree is due to the difference in their overall talent level. Not that long ago - Gerald McCoy, Marcell Dareus, and Ndamukong Suh were all top three NFL draft selections. They have definitely lived up to that billing... and there's also Watt and Leo Williams in that group along with DeForest Buckner.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:48 pm

dlf_bruiser wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 pm These are great! Keep em coming.

Lukky, I would disagree with the sentiment that interior DL are inferior DL. Let's just say that Watt is only a DE by base scheme, but really he'd be interior lineman in most cases. I believe he does line up at DT often. As does Leo Williams... along with a host of 6'5 300lb DLs. Let's not assume that this year's draft is an indication of positional scarcity in the NFL when talking about the interior and edge players. I assume the difference in their draft pedigree is due to the difference in their overall talent level. Not that long ago - Gerald McCoy, Marcell Dareus, and Ndamukong Suh were all top three NFL draft selections. They have definitely lived up to that billing... and there's also Watt and Leo Williams in that group along with DeForest Buckner.
Right but those are all interior linemen who get after the QB. Every guy you mentioned can get 8 to 10 sacks in a given year.

I'm talking about guys who may rack up 60-70 combined tackles in a season and in some scoring settings those might be top five or six DLs. No thank you
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)