New to IDP - Orphan Roster Help

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

New to IDP - Orphan Roster Help

Postby Ruggenater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

I've just taken over an orphan team (second team in signature) in a 10-team IDP league with no prior dynasty or redraft experience with IDP, so I'm looking for some guidance on some roster moves to make right now. My team is clearly not a contender for the title, so I'm currently looking to fix the defensive side as much as possible through add/drops for now. I've taken a look at where last season's top scorers at each position ended up just to get a rough idea of relative positional values, and it seems like my LB group may be the weakest. It also seems that even with 30 required starting LBs, most teams will likely stick to LBs in the defensive flex spots as well.

Starting Lineup: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex, DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, CB, 2 S, 2 Def Player, K

Scoring:
Return TDs of any kind = 6
1/2 Sack = 2
Blocked punt/PAT/FG = 3
Interception = 4
Fumble Recovery = 2
Forced Fumble = 2
Safety = 2
Assisted Tackle = 0.5
Solo Tackle = 1.5
Pass Defensed = 1

Currently on my roster:
CB: Marcus Peters
S: Tony Jefferson, Shawn Williams, Rodney McLeod, Malik Hooker, Marcus Maye
DT: Ndamukong Suh
DE: Trey Flowers, Melvin Ingram, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Taco Charlton
LB: Edwin Jackson, Blake Martinez, Kevin Minter, Jadeveon Clowney, Mychal Kendricks, Gerald Hodges, Ben Heeney

Potentially notable FA LBs: John Simon, Jake Ryan, James Harrison, BJ Goodson, AJ Klein, Sean Spence, Cory James, Jelani Jenkins
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: New to IDP - Orphan Roster Help

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 am

Your roster doesn't have a whole lot of cornerstone pieces for IDP, Tony Jefferson and Suh are the only players that I consider true top tier guys, so you have a little bit of work ahead of you - but if you're active and reactive on waivers and prioritize IDPs in your upcoming drafts you can turn that around quickly.

Suh is starting to get up there in age so if you see a chance of trading him away you'd might want to consider that, but it would probably demand a bit of activity from your end as DT offers don't tend to come flying in on a daily basis...

Marcus Peters is a great NFL CB, but for IDP he's kind of meh. If I were you I'd drop him and take a chance on one of those FA LBs, and rather just snatch a CB off waivers right before the season starts. Jefferson is a great talent and should get a decent role in BAL, McLeod is okay, Williams, Hooker and Maye are all guys I would typically leave on waivers unless the league is deep. Williams has some potential but it's been a long time since we saw a truly productive safety out of CIN.

I like all your DEs but to me none of them are top 12 guys for me in dynasty. Ingram is a bit like Jerry Hughes, he's a DE now but he might be an LB again in a season or two which would make him lose a lot of value, Richardson and Wilkerson are fantastic talents but have questions in terms of their work ethic, contract situations and/or risk of doing stupid things. Flowers is an exciting player who is trending up but we still need to see him establish himself. I'd consider trading Ingram, Richardson and Wilkerson if they start the season strong.

As for your LBs both Jackson, Martinez, Minter and Hodges have opportunities, but time will tell if they can grab on and turn into productive IDPs. I like stashing Clowney and Kendricks to see if they can find a better position designation or team situation, respectively, whereas Ben Heeney has a low chance of getting significant playing time this season, imo, but the Raiders LB situation is quite a mess so who knows.

Jake Ryan, BJ Goodson, AJ Klein and Sean Spence are all interesting guys with similar situations and in the same tier as your better LBs so I'd try to get as many of them on your roster as you can fit and see how training camp shakes out. There's a good chance that at least half of them will come out with roles that will increase their value, at least short term. Simon and Harrison have very little value in your format and Cory James and Jelani Jenkins are long shots at this point.

I'd consider dropping Peters, Maye, Hooker, Williams and Heeney. There are very few safeties that have significant value in leagues with your format, and if they do they are typically in-the-box strong safeties on teams with schemes that have traditional free/strong safety roles - so the upside of carrying Maye, Williams and Hooker to see how they turn out is a low upside play and the defensive side of your roster is going to sink or swim based on the quality of your LBs. "Startable" safeties can be found on waivers at pretty much any time so I wouldn't worry about only carrying Jefferson and McLeod, particularly not at this time of the year when you're not submitting lineups.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 pm

If you are rebuilding, Suh is someone with enough value to sell for some prospects. I'd target a couple contenders that need a DT and see what you can get. I'd also look to sell the CBs for anything you can get. You really could afford to stab at AJ Klein, Spence, Goodson, or Jelani... maybe even Cory James end of the bench.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Wow, thank you for the very detailed response! We have 45 man rosters until the end of August, when we need to cut down to 40 for the season. I stashed some more LBs on your recommendations, and will target other teams' drops after cut down day.
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:56 am

Roster cuts just happened--thoughts on my next moves?

This is for team 2 in my signature, which is up to date as of now.

Notable FAs:
QB: Tyrod, Bradford, Alex Smith, Cutler, Hoyer, Goff, Trubisky, Lynch
RB: Chris Thompson, Jamaal Charles, Turbin, Smallwood, Charcandrick, Jonathan Williams, Cohen, J Richard, Drake
WR: Beasley, Goodwin, Terrance Williams, Amendola, Woods, Kendall Wright, Peake, Tavon, Seth Roberts
TE: Jared Cook, Z Miller, Swoope, Kittle, Everett, Dwayne Allen, Jonnu
DT: Heyward, Mario Edwards
DE: Jerry Hughes, Kerrigan, Derrick Morgan, Ayers, Hayes
LB: Lawrence Timmons, Jake Ryan, John Simon, Cushing, Casillas, Ramik Wilson, Nick Perry, Bruce Irvin, Orakpo, Demario Davis, Anzalone, Woodyard, David Harris, Sheard, Toomer, Sean Spence, Marquel Lee, Dee Ford, Suggs, Humber, Lorenzo Alexander
CB: Who cares
S: Eric Reid, Su'a Cravens, Poyer, Demps, Heath, Swearinger, Ricardo Allen, Jimmie Ward, Sendejo, Mike Mitchell, Chung, Mike Adams, Byard, Iloka, Shawn Williams

Initial Thoughts:
-Target Timmons, Eric Reid, and Su'a, in that order - recommendations on who to drop?
-Consider Jonathan Williams over Joe Williams?
-Grab Tyrod and/or Goff and drop Flacco and/or Bortles

I'll need a kicker at some point, but my initial thought there is to use Cam Meredith's spot once he goes to IR. Am I on the right track with the targeted moves above? Anybody I shouldn't bother carrying given the depth on waivers you see?

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am

Wow, that's a lot of interesting guys on waivers, which I guess is not that strange given that it's a 10 team league.

I'd go pretty hard after Jonathan Williams, Everett, Jerry Hughes, Anzalone and Timmons. I would grab any of these guys easily over Jackson and Taco, and I would probably move on from Braxton and Gabriel. In a 10 team league they don't have the profile of someone I would want as a starter - but that might just be me.

I would also drop Bortles and for sure Flacco, and pick up Trubisky or Goff in the hopes that they might be good within a year or two, freeing up one roster spot. I would think that you can easily pick up a bye week QB off waivers at any time so you might as well shoot for a higher ceiling by using your QB2 spot to grab an "unknown". There is enough evidence to show that Bortles is not going to be a high end QB.

Reid and Byard are interesting but I'd be okay with only rostering two safeties in a league like this. I would probably go Reid over McLeod. I think Reid can take a nice step up this season in the top 10 dyno DB territory if he can stay healthy for once.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 am

Thanks again Oslo!