give McKinney, get Bosa

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

give McKinney, get Bosa

Postby bruiser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm proposing this trade in a pair of leagues. Both leagues are 16-team, start 2DEs, 4LBs with same scoring. McKinney is LB5 in PPG and Bosa is DE4. In both cases Bosa has a higher rookie wage and an extra year on his rookie contract.

There are 64 starting LBs each week vs 32 starting DEs. This makes LBs the premium IDP sector (as a whole), but obviously DE1 is a bit more valuable than LB1 if history is any indication. The question is this:

Am I over-reaching for Bosa to become DE1? I've always had McKinney as the top of his class, and he showed up as a sophomore. He's about as reliable as any LB could be with his size... he is the least likely LB to get hurt and miss time. I feel that he is a slam dunk with a high floor while Bosa is kinda floating out there on hope. What say you forum?
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: give McKinney, get Bosa

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:30 pm

I would prefer Bosa, even in that format.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:50 pm

I like McKinney but it would surprise me if you'll get this offer accepted. Bosa-owners are typically VERY high on him and I think a lot of people in FF are still a bit lukewarm on McKinney, I'm sure in part due to how Breeze has always been bashing him on twitter.

I'm probably lower on Bosa than most. His rookie season would lead one to believe that he's the next superstar DE, but if you look behind the numbers there are reasons to question whether or not he will be a superstar or if he will simply just turn out to be very good. Comparing his rookie season to other historical rookie seasons can be a bit misleading since he came into the league incredibly polished from a technique standpoint, but physically he's not special. Danielle Hunter is way more exciting in terms of athletic ability. What makes Bosa good is his incredible technique and motor/effort. If you study Bosa last season you'll see that he dominated young and inexperienced OTs but got shut down when he faced good veteran OTs, and six of his sacks came through stunts and clean-up.

I think Bosa will be a solid player that will have a long and successful career, but to me he doesn't have the physical profile to be a dominant league-winning DE á la JJ Watt. Once he gets more attention and OCs are given the chance to study his 2016 tape more closely I don't see him beating double teams consistently and I think good OTs will be able to stop him 1-on-1. Pair that with an expected role at 5T in Bradley's scheme and Bosa seems to me more like a mid/end DE1, not a top three DE which he is currently viewed as. Given his age I would still take Bosa in the top 3 in a dyno startup, but it would surprise me if he produces like a top 3 DE on a year to year basis.

Brett Kollmann did a fantastic breakdown of Bosa which can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQEX7DGs8tE

That being said I own McKinney in plenty of leagues and Bosa nowhere and would take Bosa over McKinney in every one of them.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am

That breakdown is excellent. It reassures me that over-reaching for Bosa is a low percentage play. I'm done over-reaching for players (gave Julio for Dez plus Ebron last year).
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:14 pm

I traded McKinney, Sheard, and Ertz for Bosa earlier this offeason. Don't regret it.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.