Gap between D Hunter and JJ Watt?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Gap between D Hunter and JJ Watt?

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I have Hunter, would love to get Watt.

He sent me 2017 3.09 + 2018 rd 1 for Watt which I rejected.

This is for team 1 in sig. Whats the difference in rookie picks? His team has been horrible for about 3/4 years now.

Hunter was the 5th highest DE in this league with 105 points. Two years ago Watt was run away #1 DE scorer with 179 points.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Gap between D Hunter and JJ Watt?

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:00 pm

If the scoring is balanced to offense then I would say JJ = Hunter +(2) 1sts.

*I own both
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:00 pm If the scoring is balanced to offense then I would say JJ = Hunter +(2) 1sts.

*I own both
Oh wow, I would be really surprised if anyone paid that much for Watt at this stage of his career. Watt scares me. He's had a broken hand, one staph infection, two torn abs, three torn abductor muscles, and one herniated disc that he re-injured. Just last year he had one surgery to fix his abductors and abs, followed by two back surgeries on his herniated disc. After that injury he said:

"Some people started to wonder if I was done. There was a time when I genuinely wondered, "Am I done?" I didn't feel like myself. I had never had one major surgery before, much less three in one year. To have the game taken away from me three times - each time left to wonder if I would ever be the same again - that was hard. That was the first time the word retirement had ever crept into my head."

He's been off the field for a long time and while I still think that he can get back to his old form, I'm just not sure how long his career will be. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who is going to drag out his career if he's not the elite player he used to be. I'm afraid that he might take the Calvin Johnson route and retire early if his herniated disc slides out again or if he has some other type of major injury. He's turned 28, how many seasons do we expect that he has left?

On the other side we have Danielle Hunter who came into the league extremely young at 20 years old and was the DE #3 last year in his second season even though he only played a sub-package 60% role. His first year he only played 30% of snaps. As he matures will he climb to 80-85% of snaps and play more base, and what kind of numbers could he rise to then? Zimmer is notorious for not letting young guys play, especially at corner and DL, so I don't take Hunter's limited snap count as any negative on his ability or fit. He has been great in run defense so it's more just a typical evolution for players under Zimmer where we can expect Hunter to get more on his plate in year three and four.

I don't know, if I owned JJ Watt and someone offered me Hunter straight up for him I would have to think long and hard about what would be the right move for my roster.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 am

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 pmIf I owned JJ Watt and someone offered me Hunter straight up for him I would have to think long and hard about what would be the right move for my roster.
Yup.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 pmIf I owned JJ Watt and someone offered me Hunter straight up for him I would have to think long and hard about what would be the right move for my roster.
Yup.
Yeah, the neck/back injuries at this position are slow to heal. I'm not expecting Watt to come roaring back in 2017. I was selling hard last summer and was lucky to unload him for Ameer plus Brady.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dyno_7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 am

At this point, I'd almost take Hunter for Watt straight up. Hunter is STILL only 22yrs old and just scratching the surface of his potential. Watt is the Gronk of DE's. Elite, but can you trust his health? Are his best years behind him?
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 am

Huge Hunter fan here...and if I was offered anything but straight up Hunter for Watt, I'd stay with Hunter. But anyhow,
The gap difference in points you listed is about 40% so think about only giving 40% production more than Hunter. So I'd say Hunter and a Mid 2nd round pick at the most. or a play of equal value as a mid 2nd rookie pick.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 am

dawgs4life wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 am Huge Hunter fan here...and if I was offered anything but straight up Hunter for Watt, I'd stay with Hunter. But anyhow,
The gap difference in points you listed is about 40% so think about only giving 40% production more than Hunter. And JJ probably wont hit that 179 points again...those were 2 very special years. So I'd say Hunter and a Mid 2nd round pick at the most for JJ. or a player of equal value as a mid 2nd rookie pick.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm

"6. The Vikings have great expectations for Danielle Hunter. The freakishly-athletic defensive end, after racking up 12.5 sacks last season as a reserve, is a big breakout candidate this season. He will take over as the starting left defensive end, replacing classy veteran Brian Robison, who stood up in the defensive line meeting room this spring, congratulated Hunter for leaping him on the depth chart and encouraged him to maximize his vast potential. Zimmer figures to unleash Hunter on at least 80 percent of the snaps in 2017 and could have him switch sides with Pro Bowler Everson Griffen at times to toy with offensive tackles."

http://www.startribune.com/a-dozen-viki ... 429392273/

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:20 am

Nice find. I reckon this also helps Griffen's angles to the QB. He was my big acquisition(s) last offseason. All the hype kind left me a little flat, but he's still my DE1 on a couple rosters.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:38 am

Bruiser wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:20 am Nice find. I reckon this also helps Griffen's angles to the QB. He was my big acquisition(s) last offseason. All the hype kind left me a little flat, but he's still my DE1 on a couple rosters.
As a Hunter owner I was very happy to see that little nugget as Hunter's hurry to sack ratio was very high last season so I wasn't sure if he would be able to keep up his numbers at only a 60% snap count. But with the increased playing time I'm all systems go. :dance: 80-85% playing time is perfect. I really don't want them playing much more than that unless it's a 3-4 end who mainly scores his pts through tackles.

Speaking generally I'm not sure where I stand on hurry to sack ratios in general. I'm a little conflicted. Like, I get that someone with few hurries and many sacks might regress, and I would be interested in buying a player who had a lot hurries but underperformed in sacks, but on the other side I would think that closing the deal by converting hurries to sacks is also a part of a player's skill. Surely a player's closing speed and tackle technique plays into it. But I digress...

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:02 am

Deep thoughts...... lol. I tend to spend little time analyzing player performance and usually concern myself with curgent price vs replacement cost. I build my lineups through trading and roster management, as all my leagues are NFL salary cap and contract. Cost is my number one metric.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 pm

EL_Dyno7 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 am At this point, I'd almost take Hunter for Watt straight up. Hunter is STILL only 22yrs old and just scratching the surface of his potential. Watt is the Gronk of DE's. Elite, but can you trust his health? Are his best years behind him?

So would you give up as much to get Hunter as you would to get Watt?
The standard is the standard.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am

Gonna wait for the draft to roll around to see what's on board, but I think I might send Hunter + 2.10 for Watt.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:28 am

Personally I habe hunter edging out watt for the top spot right now. I think watt still has a couple elite seasons but I think hunter could be just as good, likely better this year with watt having spent so much time away, and then will have several season after jj is gobe
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan