Help for first time IDPer (11 defensive starters, high scoring, DT/CB positions, etc)

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
AlcoholEnthusiast
Role Player
Role Player

Help for first time IDPer (11 defensive starters, high scoring, DT/CB positions, etc)

Postby AlcoholEnthusiast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:35 am

Hey guys - I need some help/advice from some of you seasoned IDP guys. I have been playing dynasty for a few years now and have a pretty solid handle on dynasty as a whole and the offensive side of things. However, I have never played IDP before and could really use some sage wisdom and advice. I decided to jump in on the deep end with this league (I'm an all or nothing kind of guy).

It is 50 man rosters, 11 starters on both sides of the ball. And the scoring is such that it makes defensive players actually important and relevant (top DE/LB score in the low 300's to high 200's). So it's not something that I can not pay attention to. I place a large value on age, and am always a 'build for the future' kind of guy, as opposed to a 'Win Now' kind of guy. So below I will post the defensive starters (2 DE, 1 DT, 3 LB, 1 CB, 2 S, 1 Flex, 1 Non LB Flex - I *think* was what we landed on), the scoring, and a link to the league in case anyone wants to follow -or take a look at who is on the board, etc.

We are also Superflex, 2 TE, KR/PR, PPC and Devy. The devys are capped at 28 and the PPC is at .25. We just started round 23. I have done a pretty good job of securing a young offense with potential, as well as a few young defensive studs (I hope..). My QBs are a little shaky -Only 1 established QB in Cam to go along with 2 devys (Rosen and Darnold) and a rookie (Trubs). I am also curling it a little close by only having 2 TEs so far.

So even though it's round 23, there is still tons of value on the board. Devy and IDP pushed a lot of players down. I guess some of my questions are:

A) Should I continue to try and lock down more offensive players since there is still a lot of value out there? I usually read that people say focus on IDP last and handle your offense first which is basically what I did to start. But IDK if that advice holds true in a league with so many starters and with scoring higher than it is in most leagues. What route would you take?

B) Youth is very important to me, as it wouldn't make sense to add a 29-30 year old guy who is almost out of his prime since my team won't be ready to compete for at least 2 years. What youngish players would you recommend taking a look at? I

C) IDP Players in general to keep an eye on?

D) What positions should I prioritize? I think I messed up a little bit by not going after LBs a little harder in the beginning since they are the highest scoring defensive position. As it stands I only have Reddick. Should I basically not pay attention to CB until the very end? I have heard a good trick with CBs is to take a rookie, because they are often tested and get the ball thrown to the receiver they are guarding a lot which helps get tackles. Any other tips like that for other positions?

And finally - basically any advice/input/etc/whatever that you may have for a brand new IDP player in the middle of his first startup. I

Current Roster (Missing 2018 2nd and 4th round picks)

Starting lineup Requirements

LB/CB/S Scoring

DT/DE Scoring

Here is a link to the league if any one is interested
https://www56.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/47632#0

Guys I am considering in the next few rounds:

QB: Kessler, Webb
RB: Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Devys
WR: Lee, Golladay, Kupp, Mitchell, Chad Williams, Taywan Taylor, Devys
TE: Shaheen, Butt, Hodges, Derby
DT: Solomon Thomas, Irving, ???
DE: Ogbah, Nkemdiche, Jonathan Allen, Armstead, Yannick Ngakoue, Taco
LB: Cunningham, McMillan, Campbell, Ragland, Preston Brown, Perryman, Barr, Jenkins, Clowney
CB: Kevin King (Packers Homer!), Ramsey, Hargreaves,
S: Geathers, Baker, Bell, Sean Davis, Hooker (?), Byard, Obi, Josh Jones

DT - There aren't many at all. Should I go ahead and grab one of the few that are young and have promise now because they are going to dry up very quickly? Or since they don't score a lot should I just wait and take whatever falls later on in the draft?

DE - Probably the least prioritized for me right now, since I already have two and only 0 or 1 of every other position. Unfortunately they score the most outside of LBs and there is the best supply in them. I will end up needing some more for bye weeks and flex. Since they score a lot and there are still some really solid ones out there would it make sense to keep pounding the table for DEs?

LB - The selection isn't fantastic - but I really need some. Would you wait and pick up the scraps later - or would you take the plunge on a guy you liked? Am I missing any that you think would be a good fit?

CB - I have no idea what to look for in an IDP CB. They score significantly less than the rest of the defensive positions so I am inclined to wait unless there is something I am missing.

S - I was able to get Karl Joseph, so hopefully he progresses and continues to grow. Outside of that, I don't know if/when I should look at grabbing some more. I imagine SSs are generally better than centerfielding FS. Even knowing that it is tempting to take a flyer on Hooker just bed

Anyway - Thanks for the read guys, appreciate you reading the whole thing I know this was long winded. Can't wait to hear y'alls responses and get to dig in to this a bit deeper!
12 Team 1QB 2RB 3WE 1TE 2Flex

QB: Mariota, Siemian, Fitzpatrick
RB: Zeke, Freeman, CJA, Morris, Ty, Jamaal Williams
WR: Arob, Diggs, Parker, Hurns, Tate, Stills, Conley, Enunwa,
TE: Ertz, Gates, Kroft, Paul

12 Team Superflex

QB: Mariota, Winston, Dak, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, CMC, Gio, Ty, Jamaal Williams, Zenner
WR: Coleman, M Williams, Landry, Lockett, Zay, Shepard, JuJu, Woods, Mitchell, Lee, Taywan Taylor
TE: Njoku, Hooper, Higbee

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Help for first time IDPer (11 defensive starters, high scoring, DT/CB positions, etc)

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 am

You write 3LB but the setup says 1-4 LBs. This actually makes quite a big difference. If you have to start 3LBs you will need to have good LBs to win a league like this, but if you only have to start 1 you can take value elsewhere and start more players in cheaper IDP positions like CB, S and DE. You ideally want to start a lot of LBs to form the engine that consistently puts up production for you, but if you're choosing between Preston Brown or Marqise Lee + a free CB post-draft there is no doubt where the value is.

That being said your scoring format puts a premium on DEs and LBs, so long term that's what you want to focus on, but with the loose starting position requirements you don't have to take the same care in filling all positions like one would in a setup with more rigid starting position reqs. It's going to be more important to make sure that you have 2QBs, 2RBs and 5WR to start every week.

I wouldn't take a CB until late August right before the season starts. You can find startable CBs off waivers at any time.

DEs have a premium in this league so I would keep pounding DEs. Since DT and DE scoring is the same you only want to start 1 DT (or two if you have like Suh and Atkins) and rather start more DEs in the flex spots. In this league I wouldn't bother with the top DTs. Take 2-3 promising young guys or consistent DT2-3s in the late rounds when the other teams have their starters and you can take whoever falls. Or you can just stream the position and grab a low end starter off waivers.

Another thing to consider is that even in balanced leagues the top IDPs typically don't start going off the board until the 2nd and 3rd round of rookie drafts...so the best value is often to focus on offense and take the value there in the startup, and rather backfill your defense through waivers and rookie drafts - especially if you're punting the first year anyways.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Re: Help for first time IDPer (11 defensive starters, high scoring, DT/CB positions, etc)

Postby dawgs4life » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 am

Man I could talk about a league like this all day. I currently own 8 teams in similar formats as this.

I agree with Oslo entirely above. LB are King in these start 11 formats. But like he said you can supliment DE as you only have to start 1 LB. just look at most projected points scored when making a decision,

The only statement I don't agree with from Oslo is the back filling part. In a league like this depth is you most important part. What I do is look at projected points. I try to accumulate as many overall points as possible.
When trading most people look at the name of the player. It's only a part of the equation imo. I look at total projected points scored. Example, u have a 250 point LB. and get an offer of a 200 point DE and a 200 point S ......400 is better than 250. So remember total projected points are another piece of the puzzle.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

AlcoholEnthusiast
Role Player
Role Player

Postby AlcoholEnthusiast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 am

Please talk away, I am mid draft and need help figuring all this out! And it is start 3 LB - so they are very important. I took Zsch Cunningham with my last pick. So now defensively I am looking like:

DE:
Buckner
Ingram

LB:
Reddick
Cunningham

S:
Karl Joseph

This is the starting lineup:

1 DT
1 DE
1 DL Flex
3 LB
1 CB
1 S
1 DB Flex
1 Flex
1 Non LB Flex

So what direction would you go in defensively? I have offense pretty locked down outside some depth so I can focus of defense pretty heavily now. What are your thoughts on some of the players I posted in my first post? Should I grab a DT since there aren't many other should I wait and focus on LB? How do you feel about Sheldon Rankins? Remember youth is very Important to my team makeup.

Let me know where your head would be at in my situation, and what players you would be targeting and where.

Thanks!!

12 Team Superflex

WR: Coleman, M Williams, Landry, Lockett, Zay, Shepard, JuJu, Woods, Mitchell, Lee, Taywan Taylor

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm with TomK on Melvin Ingram: replacement-level DE. You'll want to address your DE2 immediately. Not many owners are looking at Jerry Hughes, but he's capable of DE15 numbers.

You'll definitely want to trot out four starting LBs with one of your flex. There is a plethora of zero-LB options available in even the deepest formats. Not sure why, but Gerald Hodges is being over-looked everywhere. Put him on your draft list, too. Lots of other free options at LB that you'll want rostered, too. See David Harris, Sean Spence, Jonathan Casillas as depth starters.

Sorry to say, but Karl Joseph doesn't move the needle for me. I'd trade him immediately for anything because he's practically worth zilch. If you had Obi-Wan then I'd be smiling for you. There are so many affordable (startable) options out there right now at strong safety. Calvin Pryor is young, and he's practically free. Drafting Joseph so early was a big waste. Again, apologies for the harsh criticism, but something to learn from.

Defensive Tackle is a very polarizing subject in the IDP community. Either your league has them valued appropriately (elite options) or the league settings ignore their value (no elite options). Without knowing your league's settings, I'll provide you with my rankings at DT. This position group is able to play well into their 30's, so I rank them accordingly:

1. Ndamukong Suh has a few elite years left
2. Geno Atkins is just a bit younger
3. Fletcher Cox has the most time left among these

X. Rankins is tough to put into the elite category yet. He could become the top DT asset, who knows. Risk should be reflected in his price. His price is much higher than other young DTs with his profile. I like Larry Ogunjobi for his price (free). If I'm spending capital in this sector, Fletcher Cox is the most viable asset for the price.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

AlcoholEnthusiast
Role Player
Role Player

Postby AlcoholEnthusiast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Bruiser wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:52 pm I'm with TomK on Melvin Ingram: replacement-level DE. You'll want to address your DE2 immediately. Not many owners are looking at Jerry Hughes, but he's capable of DE15 numbers.

You'll definitely want to trot out four starting LBs with one of your flex. There is a plethora of zero-LB options available in even the deepest formats. Not sure why, but Gerald Hodges is being over-looked everywhere. Put him on your draft list, too. Lots of other free options at LB that you'll want rostered, too. See David Harris, Sean Spence, Jonathan Casillas as depth starters.

Sorry to say, but Karl Joseph doesn't move the needle for me. I'd trade him immediately for anything because he's practically worth zilch. If you had Obi-Wan then I'd be smiling for you. There are so many affordable (startable) options out there right now at strong safety. Calvin Pryor is young, and he's practically free. Drafting Joseph so early was a big waste. Again, apologies for the harsh criticism, but something to learn from.

Defensive Tackle is a very polarizing subject in the IDP community. Either your league has them valued appropriately (elite options) or the league settings ignore their value (no elite options). Without knowing your league's settings, I'll provide you with my rankings at DT. This position group is able to play well into their 30's, so I rank them accordingly:

1. Ndamukong Suh has a few elite years left
2. Geno Atkins is just a bit younger
3. Fletcher Cox has the most time left among these

X. Rankins is tough to put into the elite category yet. He could become the top DT asset, who knows. Risk should be reflected in his price. His price is much higher than other young DTs with his profile. I like Larry Ogunjobi for his price (free). If I'm spending capital in this sector, Fletcher Cox is the most viable asset for the price.

Melvin Ingram was the #1 scoring DE in this format last year, that is hardly replacement level, no? Unless you just think he won't repeat it. You mentioned not being able to know without knowing the league settings - I posted the pictures of the scoring on the first post - is it not showing for you? Also, I already have my DE2 - DeForest Buckner. Although I will probably go back to the well for the 3rd and 4th soon - leaning Ogbah Or Takkarist Mckinley at the moment.

I will definitely take a look at those LBs though, it seems like I will need them. Since the last post I made I drafted Perryman and Campbell (So those two + Reddick and Cunningham for my LBs currently). For DT I ended up going with Rankins as the few stud ones were already taken.

In regards to Joseph - I agree last year wasn't exactly awe inspiring. However, he was a rookie really good pedigree so I'm hoping he improves. Basically, I just looked a few different sites Saftey rankings and he was ranking pretty high on all of them so I figured I'd take shot on the young safety with good pedigree. I am considering Obi or Josh Jones for my second safety, still deciding between the two.

Appreciate the feedback though. We're getting into the meat of the draft now, just hit round 30 of 50. Got most of my starters - now I'm starting to fill everything out.

Here is an updated current roster - let me know if it is showing up for you guys, if it isn't I'll just post a direct link.

12 Team Superflex

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 am

There are always outliers in IDP, but I've always taken the higher upside shots. Karl Joseph is a FS with zero chance of moving to SS. I never take a chance at FS, let alone pay up for one. Just my 2 cents.

Melvin Ingram logged almost 1000 snaps last year as an LB. That's more than every player on his defense that's not in the secondary. I realllllllly expect his share of snaps to be reduced IF he moves up on the line... ESPECIALLY for a player his size. He should not repeat that marketshare of snaps, but just maybe he can get to 10 sacks again, so who knows. Again, I don't pay up for a limited ceiling. I'd be trading him on name cache, but I see that there's only crafty veterans still available.

Perryman and Campbell have teetered into SELL territory in the IDP marketplace. You're taking appropriate shots with Reddick and Cunningham considering the role they are being ticketed for. I'd also consider AJ Klein as a zero-LB candidate. He should have lots of tread left at his age.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.