Need League Settings Advice

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Need League Settings Advice

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 am

All,

So this is for team in sig. The scoring is balanced for IDP. However, ESPN recently added a bunch of EDR designations. For some reason, ESPN allows players that are designated as LB/EDR to be played in the DL spot. I have no idea why this would be allowed, but it is. As the commish, I stated this will really devalue our DE's quite a bit. Some get that and some really dont seem to understand it.

I proposed that we remove the 2 DL starting requirements, and replace it with 2 DT's, 2 DE's and 2 EDR's. It should be noted that just about all DE's are listed as DE/EDR and all OLB's are listed at LB/EDR. This would allow the DE's to keep their value, while providing more value to the DT's and giving edge rushers like Von Miller, Justin Houstin, Nick Perry, etc more value in our league (where, they currently have none).

I have gotten a ton of complaints saying it would make things "too complex" and they want it to stay fun. Which, I basically responded saying I get that and it the league is ever too much for anyone, to just let me know and we can try to find a replacement. But anyways, back to the counters to my proposal. Some want to leave it alone...which, i think is a terrible idea for what i think many on here will see as obvious reasons. Another, wants to start 1 DE, 1 DT and 1 EDR...which, again, i think basically devalues all of those positions as everyone will be able to start a stud.

SOOO, any advice for me? :confused:

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Need League Settings Advice

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 am

I can add info as needed....its a great league...thanks guys! And gals!

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 am

I think you know the answer to this already. You're doing the right thing by trying to restrict access as much as possible. If some owners don't like that [maybe they only know a handful of IDPs] then it's not going to work. Let them go their own way.

If its too much effort then just leave the league as it is - and join a new one with people who are as into IDP as you are!
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 am

This probably doesn't help, but as a fantasy football enthusiast (okay, junkie might be a better word) I don't understand how anyone is content to remain stagnant in offense only or over simplified IDP leagues. I have found renewed vigor as i delve deeper and deeper into IDP. Everyone knows who the industry favorites are to be breakouts and sleepers so everyone is all over them. IDP is a whole new area to explore and there is so much more to learn about not only what makes a player valuable be it scheme, snap count, or positional designation, but about the sport of football as well. It adds a depth of strategy you just can't find in offense only leagues. That IS fun. Maybe if you can convince them of that, they may be a bit more receptive.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Thank you both! And I definitely agree Gridiron.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:18 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 am All,

So this is for team in sig. The scoring is balanced for IDP. However, ESPN recently added a bunch of EDR designations. For some reason, ESPN allows players that are designated as LB/EDR to be played in the DL spot. I have no idea why this would be allowed, but it is. As the commish, I stated this will really devalue our DE's quite a bit. Some get that and some really dont seem to understand it.

I proposed that we remove the 2 DL starting requirements, and replace it with 2 DT's, 2 DE's and 2 EDR's. It should be noted that just about all DE's are listed as DE/EDR and all OLB's are listed at LB/EDR. This would allow the DE's to keep their value, while providing more value to the DT's and giving edge rushers like Von Miller, Justin Houstin, Nick Perry, etc more value in our league (where, they currently have none).

I have gotten a ton of complaints saying it would make things "too complex" and they want it to stay fun. Which, I basically responded saying I get that and it the league is ever too much for anyone, to just let me know and we can try to find a replacement. But anyways, back to the counters to my proposal. Some want to leave it alone...which, i think is a terrible idea for what i think many on here will see as obvious reasons. Another, wants to start 1 DE, 1 DT and 1 EDR...which, again, i think basically devalues all of those positions as everyone will be able to start a stud.

SOOO, any advice for me? :confused:
Lol, jesus. Complex IS fun. Who are these meatheads in your league? :crazy:

But implementing 2DT, 2DE, 2EDR will place too much focus on DL, in my opinion. You should balance it by adding 1-2 more o-flex and another LB. I think 1DT will be more than enough for your leaguemates to swallow. Judging by their reaction they're not going to enjoy starting two DTs every week as they will have to roster and start a lot of players they've barely heard of. 1DT, 2DE, 2EDR, 3LB and 3DB should be a better balance.