Camp Battles - Linebackers

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Camp Battles - Linebackers

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 am

dlf_bruiser wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:30 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:33 am Barron returned to training about a week ago so they're just taking it slow with him. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure he'll play next week. They signed him to a $45 million contract this offseason so he's not going anywhere soon.
Out of curiousity, I checked on that contract. It was signed last offseason. He's basically on the hook for $14M this year (if you count his dead cap) with pricey team options for 2018,19,20. Barron would have to play a full allotment of snaps at a very high level this year to remain with the team @ $10M per season going forward, imo.

Barron has provided me a solid LB2 for the last few years, but I'm of the mindset that LB production should come at a cheaper cost. I would expect the Rams to have more pressing needs for their cap commitments than an LB2 in the coming years.
Yeah, you're right. I was wrong about when he re-signed.

But I think what often gets overlooked in cap numbers is that we tend to look at them as cut or pay, but more commonly if a team is satisfied with a player's role on the team, but ultimately feel the contract is too expensive and they're getting close to their cap ceiling, they'll restructure to bring the cap hit down and/or re-neg for additional years to bring the dollar per year down. So even if $9-10 mill per year sounds high they'll have options to bring it down.

Many assume that with the Rams moving to a 3-4 Barron doesn't really fit as a 3-4 inside linebacker, but it's a Wade Phillips 3-4 which means they're going to be one-gapping and if there is one thing that Phillips is known for it is to use players in roles that allows them to best utilize their skillset. If Barron was moving to a rigid 3-4, like playing for Rex Ryan who is very firm in his way of doing things, I wouldn't be so optimistic, but Phillips is all about versatility and tailor-making the system to his players. They're going to be attacking and I'm sure Phillips will find a way to best use the speed they have on defense with a lot of disguised blitz packages with Barron and Ogletree who both are converted safeties. I think that will suit Barron perfectly. Besides, in sub-packages Barron is going to be asked a lot of the same tasks he's had in the last few years so I think this new defense can be a positive for Barron.

But of course...my take on this is colored by how I view Barron's talent and I love his talent and playing style so I don't necessarily think $8-9 mill per year is too high for him. He was horrendously miscast in the Tampa 2 as he can either be a hard-hitting in-the-box safety or a weakside LB with plus coverage skills, but you shouldn't ask him to drop deep and play conservatively. While he's a physical safety he's light for an LB so he can get washed out on some running plays, just like Bucannon does, but he brings coverage and movement skills that are important for the Rams. I'll start to worry about his 2019 role if they re-sign Ogletree and bring in a Reeves-Maybin or Jayon Brown developmental weakside type or a highly drafted MIKE in next year's draft.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 am Marquel Lee played every down yesterday while Cory James would come off against 4WR and some 3WR sets. I think it was most 3WR sets but I would have to watch again to be sure. Interestingly enough they would bring on Sean Smith and use him as a dime linebacker on most plays they took out James. I would think that this role is intended for Obi when he is healthy and ready to go with the starters.
Yiikes, Marquel Lee hardly played yesterday. They played a lot of sub-packages where they would line up Morrow as a nickel LB, and Lee only came on in short yardage situations and versus some heavy sets. This is the second game they utilize a nickel/dime LB so it's pretty clear why they drafted Obi. Given these packages they can get Nelson, Joseph and Obi on the field together on 60-85% of snaps depending on opponent and gameflow. Plus for Cory James but big downer for Lee, hopefully they are only testing some different fits. On top of this Lee had a horrible missed tackle on Gerald Everett in coverage on the first drive.

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 am

First...im new to Dynasty IDP this year and this subforum (and this thread especially) has been invaluable to me. Thanks!

Second....any reaction to the Browns/Giants game last night, especially BJ Goodson? Unfortunately a storm came thru last night and disrupted my DirecTV and so i missed most of the first quarter.

animalkev
Rookie
Rookie

Postby animalkev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:26 am

BJ Goodson was a monster last night.. was looking pretty good. Confirms my thoughts for a great year

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 am

animalkev wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:26 am BJ Goodson was a monster last night.. was looking pretty good. Confirms my thoughts for a great year
Goodson looked good and Casillas showed well, too. Casillas looks jacked for a guy listed at 6'1 226. The two of them laid a hit on Kizer that will take a week to heal.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 am

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:53 am Based on the depth chart and their rotation in training camp Joshua Perry seems to be a bit behind, and even if he wins the base MIKE he would surely come off in nickel as Toomer has much more range and experience than him. So if we're looking for a potential three-down player I would think Toomer is the better play here, at least since we're looking at a short term injury. Envisioning Perry landing in a useful role for fantasy this season takes quite a bit of projection given his position on the depth chart, prior usage and limitations in nickel. If you're that confident in your view on him then great, go after him and hats off if you prove to be right - but there's currently not a lot to imply that Perry will have an opportunity for a FF viable role this season.
Sooooo, okay... Curveball. This week they played Dzubnar at base MIKE in the 1st quarter and Korey Toomer at base MIKE in the second quarter...but in both rotations they played rookie UDFA Nigel Harris (!?) in nickel. If this sticks it is Jatavis Brown and forget everyone else.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am I've been seeing reports that since the preseason game the Saints have stopped rotating their first team LBs in practice and have settled down on Klein - Te'o - Robertson like they did in the first PS game. I still think there's a good chance that Anzalone could ascend in time (perhaps by mid-season?) as I don't get the feeling based on their offseason moves that they see Robertson as a lasting solution, but it sounds like they are getting ready to start the season off with those three.
So it would seem the reports of the Saints settling down on their LBs was a bit premature. This week they inserted Anzalone in the starting lineup and had Klein and Anzalone as the only LBs in the 1st quarter as they never got out of nickel. When they pinned down LAC in the early second Te'o came on as base MIKE, and a few plays later they rotated and had Te'o and Robertson playing nickel.

I see a lot of news outlets running with this and some even claiming Anzalone as a locked in starter, but I still think that's a bit premature. It could also be them just wanting to get a long look at Anzalone with Klein, and reverting back to Robertson next week. That being said it's certainly a positive development for Anzalone and it could turn out as a very productive role for him.

And lastly, just as a mini rant...I see several IDP writers on twitter referring to the NOS linebackers as a situation to avoid. To me that's just lazy analysis. Someone is going to be productive there and these players aren't expensive, so I would recommend taking some shots and see how it turns out.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am And lastly, just as a mini rant...I see several IDP writers on twitter referring to the NOS linebackers as a situation to avoid. To me that's just lazy analysis. Someone is going to be productive there and these players aren't expensive, so I would recommend taking some shots and see how it turns out.
Very good point. I make that mistake sometimes for sure, and that's very valid.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Chiefs

There is no shortage of players competing with Wilson for the starting job. While Johnson is a lock to make the roster, Wilson is competing with four other inside linebackers who have earned meaningful NFL snaps in Terrance Smith, Josh Mauga, Justin March-Lillard and Kevin Pierre-Louis. There’s also a fifth-round rookie (Ukeme Eligwe) in the mix who the coaches have raved about.

“That’s what you want, you want to keep upgrading at each position — that’s only gonna make everybody better,” Wilson said, when explaining why the offseason additions of Mauga, Pierre-Louis and Eligwe did not effect him.

All of the inside linebackers, of course, cannot make the team, though it’s telling that defensive coordinator Bob Sutton seemed to hint Tuesday that the decision for the job next to job is between Wilson and Mauga, a starter in 2014.

“(Ramik) is in the hunt — I think that’s been a great competition between him and Josh, and we’re fortunate to have two guys who have played and started,” Sutton said. “I know both of them have worked hard and are certainly worthy of the position. The next two weeks is going to determine what happens there.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 23677.html

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:53 am Based on the depth chart and their rotation in training camp Joshua Perry seems to be a bit behind, and even if he wins the base MIKE he would surely come off in nickel as Toomer has much more range and experience than him. So if we're looking for a potential three-down player I would think Toomer is the better play here, at least since we're looking at a short term injury. Envisioning Perry landing in a useful role for fantasy this season takes quite a bit of projection given his position on the depth chart, prior usage and limitations in nickel. If you're that confident in your view on him then great, go after him and hats off if you prove to be right - but there's currently not a lot to imply that Perry will have an opportunity for a FF viable role this season.
Sooooo, okay... Curveball. This week they played Dzubnar at base MIKE in the 1st quarter and Korey Toomer at base MIKE in the second quarter...but in both rotations they played rookie UDFA Nigel Harris (!?) in nickel. If this sticks it is Jatavis Brown and forget everyone else.
Toomer registered five tackles (four solo) in Sunday's preseason loss to the Saints.
Perhaps more importantly, Nick Dzubnar, Toomer's main competition for the other inside linebacker job alongside Jatavis Brown, failed to make a tackle on Saints' running back Alvin Kamara that led to a 50-yard touchdown run to begin the first quarter. That misplay drew the ire of head coach Anthony Lynn after the game, which gives further credence to the notion that Toomer is the frontrunner for a starting role. In 13 games last season, Toomer tallied 75 tackles and became a surprisingly reliable IDP option after the Chargers were besieged by injuries.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ting-role/

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 am
Toomer registered five tackles (four solo) in Sunday's preseason loss to the Saints.
Perhaps more importantly, Nick Dzubnar, Toomer's main competition for the other inside linebacker job alongside Jatavis Brown, failed to make a tackle on Saints' running back Alvin Kamara that led to a 50-yard touchdown run to begin the first quarter. That misplay drew the ire of head coach Anthony Lynn after the game, which gives further credence to the notion that Toomer is the frontrunner for a starting role. In 13 games last season, Toomer tallied 75 tackles and became a surprisingly reliable IDP option after the Chargers were besieged by injuries.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ting-role/
I picked up a dollar share of Toomer in the hopes that he gives me a couple startable weeks
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am And lastly, just as a mini rant...I see several IDP writers on twitter referring to the NOS linebackers as a situation to avoid. To me that's just lazy analysis. Someone is going to be productive there and these players aren't expensive, so I would recommend taking some shots and see how it turns out.
Very good point. I make that mistake sometimes for sure, and that's very valid.
Piling on here... lazy is the right word. If the Saints run with two 3D LBs that are cheap, you'd be ahead of the curve to roster them. Any 3D LB has potential for LB1 production, and sometimes two can come from the same team. I'd caution falling into a pied pipers tale of avoiding that kind of profit.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Mascott93
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mascott93 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm

It looks like joe schobert will take the MLB position in Cleveland after a great performance against the giants across 25 odd snaps (5 tackles, sack and pass defense). But also tank carder sadly tore his acl in the same game.
Team 1
10 Man - PPR
QB: Stafford, Goff, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Drake, Miller, Crowell, Jones, Clement, Gallman
WR: AJG, Samuels, Parker, Kirk, Hamilton, Harmon, Hurst, Cole, Taylor,
TE: Engram, Brate, Gathers
DL: Lawrence, Ngakoue, Jarrett, Poe, Barnett, Davenport
LB: T Smith, Alexander, Edmunds, Wright, Barron, Schobert, McKinney, Hitchens, Vander Esch
DB: Amos , Byard, Evans, Reid

Team 2 - 2 QB Superflex
16 Man - PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE, 6 pts TD pass
QB: Luck, Dalton
RB: Miller, McFadden, Abdullah, Prosise, Cmike
WR: Williams, Marshall, Lockett, T Benjamin, Kupp, Austin, Lafell
TE: Ebron, Gresham, Sims
DST: Broncos

Team 3
10 Man - PPR
QB: Dalton , Eli, lock
RB: Fournette, Howard, Rojo, Miller, Collins, AP, Gio, Breida
WR: OBJ, Cooks, JBrown, Lockett, Godwin, M Brown, Hamilton, Miller, Pettis, MVS, Harmon
TE: Kittle, Engram, Goedart, Eifert, Thomas
DEF: Chiefs

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Mascott93 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm It looks like joe schobert will take the MLB position in Cleveland after a great performance against the giants across 25 odd snaps (5 tackles, sack and pass defense). But also tank carder sadly tore his acl in the same game.
He absolutely crushed it. He's a natural pass rusher, takes all the right angles, plays low, explodes up into his tackles and provides the versatility that Gregg Williams loves which will give him a ton of snaps.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm
Mascott93 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm It looks like joe schobert will take the MLB position in Cleveland after a great performance against the giants across 25 odd snaps (5 tackles, sack and pass defense). But also tank carder sadly tore his acl in the same game.
He absolutely crushed it. He's a natural pass rusher, takes all the right angles, plays low, explodes up into his tackles and provides the versatility that Gregg Williams loves which will give him a ton of snaps.
How excited are we for him even if he's the unquestioned starter at MLB? Obviously not gonna be a 3-down guy, maybe 40 snaps per game? Sandwiched between 2 of the best LBs in the game, idk what will be there for him.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/