Camp Battles - Linebackers

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Camp Battles - Linebackers

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am

Definitely thought Perryman tore his Achilles, so this is a positive development. Will still be a hindrance though. Too bad, was very optimistic for him, but will continue to stand behind him as a truther. Just needs to stay healthy.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 am

Is perry or toomer next man up? Toomer looked great in flashes last year. And for what it's worth he has the Seahawks draft background.

charleschillffb
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby charleschillffb » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am

It's gotta be Perry. I would think they know what Toomer is...

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Yeah, I'm not buying the 'Seahawks late-round rookie' as some sort of pedigree. Malcolm Smith is backup material we found out.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:53 am

Based on the depth chart and their rotation in training camp Joshua Perry seems to be a bit behind, and even if he wins the base MIKE he would surely come off in nickel as Toomer has much more range and experience than him. So if we're looking for a potential three-down player I would think Toomer is the better play here, at least since we're looking at a short term injury. Envisioning Perry landing in a useful role for fantasy this season takes quite a bit of projection given his position on the depth chart, prior usage and limitations in nickel. If you're that confident in your view on him then great, go after him and hats off if you prove to be right - but there's currently not a lot to imply that Perry will have an opportunity for a FF viable role this season.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 am

You are right. Toomer will get first crack at it.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am

I've been seeing reports that since the preseason game the Saints have stopped rotating their first team LBs in practice and have settled down on Klein - Te'o - Robertson like they did in the first PS game. I still think there's a good chance that Anzalone could ascend in time (perhaps by mid-season?) as I don't get the feeling based on their offseason moves that they see Robertson as a lasting solution, but it sounds like they are getting ready to start the season off with those three.

Burning Fight
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Burning Fight » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Do they have Te'o playing 3 downs or just run downs?

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Burning Fight wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm Do they have Te'o playing 3 downs or just run downs?
Can't imagine he stays in with those cement feet.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Burning Fight wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm Do they have Te'o playing 3 downs or just run downs?
Te'o and Anzalone are back-up nickel players behind Klein and Robertson.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 am

Cory James is locking in on the WILB spot. It sounds like he'd really have to foul this up to lose it. Marquel Lee still getting rep'd as the MIKE despite not showing well in live action. Raiders must've really valued a specific role for ObiMel when they ignored ILB and drafted him in the 2nd.

Ramon Humber remains the WLB leader in the Buffalo clubhouse despite constant praise of Gerald Hodges' 2nd team work. I currently roster both with the expectation that one must get cut upon my league's roster cut-down Sep. 1st.

Nate Gerry is my sneaky rookie pick on all my teams. He's getting high praise in Philly, but not mentioned as a potential WLB starter yet. Kamu Grugier-Hill is a 2nd year player getting the same praise and competing with Gerry. Mychal Kendricks is the wild-card in that group. He has his perennial soft-tissue injury driving down his trade value (plus that contract), so he'll likely outlive the trade rumors - once again.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 pm

dlf_bruiser wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 am Cory James is locking in on the WILB spot. It sounds like he'd really have to foul this up to lose it. Marquel Lee still getting rep'd as the MIKE despite not showing well in live action. Raiders must've really valued a specific role for ObiMel when they ignored ILB and drafted him in the 2nd.

Ramon Humber remains the WLB leader in the Buffalo clubhouse despite constant praise of Gerald Hodges' 2nd team work. I currently roster both with the expectation that one must get cut upon my league's roster cut-down Sep. 1st.

Nate Gerry is my sneaky rookie pick on all my teams. He's getting high praise in Philly, but not mentioned as a potential WLB starter yet. Kamu Grugier-Hill is a 2nd year player getting the same praise and competing with Gerry. Mychal Kendricks is the wild-card in that group. He has his perennial soft-tissue injury driving down his trade value (plus that contract), so he'll likely outlive the trade rumors - once again.
I picked up Gerry almost two months ago based off your rec. Few weeks back I was watching some WR game tape vs Nebraska and Gerry was everywhere. Everywhere. Not sure how he'll translate to LB but he most certainly has a ton of talent.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:29 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm Redskins - Compton ILB, Foster ILB. Zach Brown and Spaight are running with the 2nd team, but I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. If you own Zach Brown you'd obviously like him to come right in and take charge, but it's quite natural that the returning starters are given some rope at the start of TC. Brown's talent should shine through before too long and the reports are that it would be on Foster's expense.
I've started seeing reports that Zach Brown is getting first team snaps playing with Compton the last couple days. Foster and Compton are still playing nickel but Brown has at least started to ascend and it is Foster who is starting to lose snaps.
In yesterday's game simulation practice Mason Foster was back in the starting base lineup with Compton, so reports of Zach Brown being a starter already might be a little ahead of where things currently stand. Zach Brown mixed in, but it seems the expectation should be that Foster will be starting in the first preseason game. Nothing big, I think most of us still expect Brown to ascend, but I found it an interesting little note about where the battle for ILB currently stand. Brown still has some steps to make.
ESPN is reporting that Zach Brown and Mason Foster will be starting at ILB this week for Washington. Interesting that he's starting over Compton instead of Foster.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:29 am

I've started seeing reports that Zach Brown is getting first team snaps playing with Compton the last couple days. Foster and Compton are still playing nickel but Brown has at least started to ascend and it is Foster who is starting to lose snaps.
In yesterday's game simulation practice Mason Foster was back in the starting base lineup with Compton, so reports of Zach Brown being a starter already might be a little ahead of where things currently stand. Zach Brown mixed in, but it seems the expectation should be that Foster will be starting in the first preseason game. Nothing big, I think most of us still expect Brown to ascend, but I found it an interesting little note about where the battle for ILB currently stand. Brown still has some steps to make.
ESPN is reporting that Zach Brown and Mason Foster will be starting at ILB this week for Washington. Interesting that he's starting over Compton instead of Foster.
Yeah, they're clearly not set yet. They're testing pretty much all combinations so we just have to wait and see how it shakes out. This paragraph in the WP story is quite telling:

At times we’ve seen Compton and Foster on the field in the base defense, and Brown relieving Foster in nickel packages. Other times, we’ve seen Foster and Brown in base packages, with Compton replacing Foster in the nickel. And there have been times where Compton and Foster play all three downs, or Compton and Brown, or Foster and Brown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... f44ca51d75

So basically...any combination. I do find it interesting that Compton's role is no longer secure. Earlier in the offseason he was the steady piece, likely because of his experience and play-calling role, but his role now seems much less safe. If I were to guess how it would end up I would say that Brown probably lands an every down role with Foster playing the majority of early downs and Compton taking snaps from Foster in nickel. If that's the result Brown should be a very serviceable IDP whereas Foster and Compton will be less reliable, but given the WAS stat crew I'm sure one or both will have some really nice weeks, it might just be difficult to predict them. But who knows...maybe Spaight is starting next week. :wtf:

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 am

12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker