ESPN edge rusher designation

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
FeartheRavens06
Role Player
Role Player

ESPN edge rusher designation

Postby FeartheRavens06 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 pm

What do you all who use ESPN think of the new EDR designation? I think it could be a little known change that could have a huge effect on our teams.
In previous years we had DT, DE (or combined as DL) and LB spots. Now they have added EDR to that meaning any outside linebacker or DE can be entered into the EDR slot.
I was inches away from dropping Robert Quinn (and still might) as he is now an OLB in real life which would no longer have helped me as a DL. But now that he and others like him who play off the edge can be play in the DL slot I think has to change how we evaluate these players

Who are some players ESPN has listed as EDR that could be sneaky pickups? Guys like Bruce Irvin & Whitney Mercilus were basically useless listed as LBs but if we can get that kind of production and list him as a DL, I think that could be a big advantage

Did a little digging and Von Miller last year was the 21st best LB in my league least year...Now that he is eligible to play EDR/DL he would have been the 2nd best behind only Khalil Mack

This gives a huge bump to the formerly worthless OLBs in my opinion. Plan accordingly if you use ESPN IDPs
11th year ESPN, 0.5 PPR, 12 team
Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, FLEX, 1TE, 2LB, 2DL, 2DB, 1 IDP FLEX

QB: Luck, Stafford
RB: Henry, Michel, Penny, Coleman, AP, Ekeler
WR: OBJ, Adams, Diggs, Cooks, Jeffery, Allison, Moncrief
TE: Herndon, Doyle, Seals-Jones
LB: Kuechly, Wagner, Williamson, Kendricks, Hitchens, McMillan, J Brown (TEN)
DL: Clark, Dunlap, Hughes, Weatherly, Vernon
DB: Collins, Adams, Tartt, Bates, Peppers

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: ESPN edge rusher designation

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Since I'm not playing on ESPN perhaps you could help me understand how they are implementing it. It sounds like it is an extra possible starting position that you can use for your league, and that you can use either a DE or OLB in that starting position? Or have they basically removed the DE designation and replaced it with EDR which also includes rush-OLBs? Is it up to each individual league if they want to use the new position and is it in addition to DE and LB? Or is it a site-wide change that affects all leagues?

I only play on MFL and I haven't played on any other sites for like 5 years or something, so to me FF is MFL.

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dyno_7 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 pm

My league uses ESPN and the EDR designation was added to DE's and 3-4 OLB's. 4-3 OLB's are not eligible for the dual designation.

I kind of like the idea. As long as ESPN is correct on who qualifies for the EDR position, it could be a welcome change. D-lineman are similar to TE's and that the talent pool is fairly shallow. 3-4 OLB's are essentially useless in balanced scoring formats, so by giving them DL eligibility it adds to the options a manager can choose. While it may devalue guys like Joey Bosa, it now makes others like Nick Perry, Markus Golden, Bud Dupree & Von Miller fantasy relevant. Now, a manager can have multiple ways to structure their IDP squads. Plus, several 3-4 teams play very similar to a 4-3. An OLB will be at the LOS, (he's just standing up instead of having a hand in the dirt.)

Another benefit is most, if not all DE's will keep their position eligibility in the event of scheme changes. The value of DL change significantly anytime a new scheme is implemented by a new coach. It drives fantasy owners nuts. This would help solve that issue and allow the Kahlil Macks to retain more value. (Which he deserves).
I'm intrigued to see how it works this year. I'm all for changes like this. Curveballs keep things interesting, even if they turn out to have negative reviews. New ideas keep the game evolving.
Last edited by Dyno_7 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 am

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm It sounds like it is an extra possible starting position that you can use for your league, and that you can use either a DE or OLB in that starting position?
Correct. OLBs and DEs appear habe dual eligibility (i.e., DE/EDGR or LB/EDGR).

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue May 30, 2017 5:55 pm

The Red Rooster wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 am
Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm It sounds like it is an extra possible starting position that you can use for your league, and that you can use either a DE or OLB in that starting position?
Correct. OLBs and DEs appear habe dual eligibility (i.e., DE/EDGR or LB/EDGR).
I would think they would almost all be used in the DE/EDGR....as using them in the other spot would make their value the same as before. Why can't these leagues go thru and see which players are ROLBs and redesignate them to DE and be done with it.
On the other hand this does sound interesting and makes for more position/versatility....and more scoring. We all love more scoring, right?