2017 Draft... IDP picks so far

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2017 Draft... IDP picks so far

Postby bruiser » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 am

I never did circle back to this after my rookie drafts, so here's my late assessment.

TIER 1 Rookies (3-down LBs)
Reuben Foster is my top IDP hopeful. He slid to me at pick #26 in a couple leagues. I loved the price point considering Reddick, Peppers, and Davis (1.10) were all taken in the 1st round. Again, this was more about value, not player assessment.

Jarad Davis is in this top tier, albeit at a significantly higher price.

Hassan Reddick slid to pick #36 in one of my drafts, which would be a huge price break. He otherwise is drafted at #18 & #21. He's in the IDP ROY conversation with the above two.

Zach Cunningham could easily be in this group if he seizes a 3-down role early on via another Cushing injury. I like Cunningham's future prospects, but I don't like his price as a backup/sub-package rookie. I need immediate production from my draft picks because of the 4yr rookie contracts in my leagues.

TIER 2 Rookies (DT-premium)
Larry Ogunjobi fits the mold as a 3-tech in an ideal situation. His price is free (undrafted). In DT-premium leagues, the 3T is the 2nd-most valuable sector in the IDP market (3D LBs are #1). I'll bet everyone that just read that is about to click out of this review.

Caleb Brantley could easily be interchanged with Ogunjobi here. I'm aware that Gregg Williams likes to rotate his DL often, but I'm strictly looking at the cost vs potential with these taxi squad stashes.

TIER 3 Rookies (DE, S)
Myles Garrett is the consensus top DE prospect in an ideal situation. He would have to outproduce Joey Bosa's phenomenal season to get moved into one of the above tiers. To be clear, I love Garrett's potential. It's just that I don't draft rookie DEs nearly as early as he's being selected (#14, 24, and 25). I'd have to be salivating over a prospect that appears to be the heir to JJ Watt in order to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick. Garrett is far from that, but could be very useful nonetheless.

Derek Barnett is a beast in a decent situation. He sits at a large table with many mouths to feed, but he may just prove to be the best in the rotation. I don't know, but his price at pick #30-50 is where I typically buy my shares of Jarvis Landry, Stefon Diggs, Ty Lockett, Jamison Crowder, Chris Godwin, and Taywan Taylor.... In my leagues (and assuming yours, too) these assets are easily traded for any player on this entire page. If we are gambling on a player being productive, I'm swinging for the fences instead of a slap-single.

Taco Charlton is in the mix with the above. His situation is better than Barnett's, he has ideal size for an attacking DE. He might just be the better value (although not great) going in the 45-60 range of my drafts.

Chris Wormley gets a mention here because he is free (undrafted). His physical/athletic profile is very similar to JJ Watt, and that gets my attention. He's also in a 3-4 front, so there's that. As a zero-risk investment I prefer him vs overspending on rookie DEs.

Trey Hendrickson solidifies my point on the subject. I have him on every team as an undrafted sleeper. He's prototypical size/athleticism/college production for a 4-3 attacking DE on a defense that needs him to start immediately. I am hopeful for this investment and emphasize "investment" - as in ZERO.

[Intentionally ignoring Safeties being drafted before pick #75 here]
Obi Melifonwu really jumps off the board. His physical profile is higher than any prospect in this year's IDP discussion (perhaps highest since JJ Watt). He will jump right into the mix and push 34yr old Reggie Nelson to start alongside FS Karl Joseph. This is a really good situation on a team with a very unsettled mix at ILB. ObiWan is my only investment recommendation at Safety for the price of a late pick.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2017 Draft... IDP picks so far

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Obi Mel saw the field for the first time this weekend. Time to fire up this hype train.

ALL ABOARD!
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.