Kahlil Mack

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Kahlil Mack

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:21 am

Here is the thing - even if you LET him be a DE, how long do you let him be a DE for?
What if moving forward, Mack is an OLB for good? How many years do you let him stay as DE? Just this year? Forever?

It's tough - but I'm with the others who say you gotta follow MFL.

There has been plenty of conversation about Mack moving to LB - in fact, when the season ended I was cautioning anyone around here who was considering buying Mack because there were rumblings once again that he would get shifted to LB and play a Von Miller style ball.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:57 am

JJDubya wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 pm I have some sympathy, especially in a new format. The pick can't be undone, but if I was commish I would suggest letting the team website dictate. If they say he's a DE, then he's a DE. Kind of lame imo that MFL bases these things solely off of what one website says. The whole hand in the dirt or not thing is lame. No real fix, but path of least resistance is follow the MFL model. You're gonna have a bitter owner on your hands, that's for sure.
That would be really unfortunate considering it is his fault, not the leagues. Would be a classic example of someone avoiding taking ownership of their own mistake. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

One thing to note is that we don't know the scoring of the league though. In my league, Pass Rush LBs are balanced to tackle focused guys, with Houston and Miller being tops at their position in the past few seasons. Mack would have been the LB2 this year as well. It is very possible this isn't THAT big of a deal. Now, obviously if this is tackle focused then yes, the impacts are more significant, but again, hopefully the owner takes ownership of the situation and chalks it up to learning experience. More position changes will come and other teams/players will be similarly impacted. Valuable draft picks will bust, people will get suspended, so on and so forth...such is the dynasty game.

I hate the idea of manual position changes. Such a slippery slope. You would really need to iron out those details, and should also log which players have been adjusted and check them at ongoing intervals to understand if that adjustment should even continue. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work and a whole lot of grey.

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 am

He was a little "sour grapes" but I tried to explain as best as I could...

Also, this league is big play scoring so its not like he's going to lose a bunch a value, but it does hurt a little. He'll do fine.

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:02 am

Tough situation. Tends to reflect worse on the whole IDP world to be frank since something like this can kill value. If we were better at creating scoring settings then it would be less of an issue. Youd just have an extra good LB and one less good DE.

Obviously everyone has said that it's sour grapes on the original owner. And I agree. If you play IDP you should know things like this happen. Shows a clear lack of research.

But I like Coogans suggestion too of actually watching and making a case. Whenever this comes up for me it can usually be solved by the owner actually watching the players tape and charting it out. Most of the time the owner is just working off a depth chart on NFL.com or old information and that can be easily fixed. There are situations of course where a player plays in a different position for a game or so. Kemal Ishmael at Will last year. That can get in the way as MFL wont change positions mid season. if a bona fide switch has occurred and the owner can prove it Im open to that conversation. At the very least it gets people actually watching defensive alignments rather than assuming theyre all clear cut and obvious.
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate