MFL Position Updates

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: MFL Position Updates

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 am

But my whole point is that if these players didn't have positions and you needed to assign positions I would understand taking a guess and project that they will be DTs. Fair enough. But since they were already designated DEs I think it should take some level of evidence/certainty to move them to DT and the evidence for that is currently shaky at best. I understand that things are up in the air but in my opinion the response to lack of clarity should be inaction, not action, in these type of situations.

If people keep pushing you to change positions, which I'm sure they will, then the answer should be very easy, clear and understandable; there is not enough evidence yet to perform a position change and the positions will be reviewed in training camp or earlier if position roles become more clear through coach statements over the summer.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 am

When people ask me about players I take time to go look at the tape and address their questions with real answers backed up by hours of work. We don't have any film to watch how rookies have lined up in the past so we have to make some projections and assumptions. It's just the way it is. Shea McClellan was a DL for two years on ESPN when he was the starting MIKE for the Bears. Preston Smith has been a DL on CBS his entire career so far. How many players on MFL last year where designated wrong from what they actually played? It's obvious that you spend time studying schemes so continue to do so and project things as you see it playing out. If you end up being correct then you will realize the rewards. That's one of the best things about IDP. At the end of the day, all players will be designated week 1 what they are playing in base. That's all I can promise. If you don't like the way I do it then I apologize, but I do the best that I can do with the tools I have. This will be my final post on this forum. Good luck everyone.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 am

I've laid down these types of debates with Breeze. He's doing a dirty, thankless job. I don't envy him, and I've resigned to just rolling with the landscape. It is truly what makes IDP fun.

So far, I bought up all the Jerry Hughes shares before he became DE. I like him more than Ingram because, well, Buffalo.

I did not see the 275lb rookie DT switch happening and (along with others in the community) expect Solomon to be far more suited for LEO than 6'17" Armstead. There is a sentiment that he gets switched back and either of the SF bigs kick inside.

All of my Nate Gerry shares got the expected change to LB. All he has to do is win that job, and he could be a sneaky strong IDP ROY candidate.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 am

breeze wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 am When people ask me about players I take time to go look at the tape and address their questions with real answers backed up by hours of work. We don't have any film to watch how rookies have lined up in the past so we have to make some projections and assumptions. It's just the way it is. Shea McClellan was a DL for two years on ESPN when he was the starting MIKE for the Bears. Preston Smith has been a DL on CBS his entire career so far. How many players on MFL last year where designated wrong from what they actually played? It's obvious that you spend time studying schemes so continue to do so and project things as you see it playing out. If you end up being correct then you will realize the rewards. That's one of the best things about IDP. At the end of the day, all players will be designated week 1 what they are playing in base. That's all I can promise. If you don't like the way I do it then I apologize, but I do the best that I can do with the tools I have. This will be my final post on this forum. Good luck everyone.
I don't have a problem with how you designate positions during the season, I think you do a very good job there and I'm sure you put in a lot of hours in getting things right. What I was reacting to was that I didn't understand your process during the offseason as I've seen you mention before that you want to avoid moving players back and forth, that was why you waited until now to move Ingram to DE right(?), so when you take an action to actively change a player's position it is implied that there is some evidence and certainty driving that decision. Having to put someone at DT isn't a very good process, in my opinion, and in the case of the 49ers I think you're moving the wrong player to DT so I question both the process and the decision. But it's just meant as constructive criticism and while FF in the larger scheme of things means nothing, the MFL position updates spur action and changes market prices so it's an important role in this little world of ours.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 am

Well, we've seen the end of Breeze. Nice job everyone. Always complaining. Never satisfied. 'Constructive criticism'...I wouldn't bother responding either if I was him. Like he said, a thankless job that will never satisfy everyone and takes lots of time to do. If you see a gap, take advantage. Plan ahead. Send a job application. For all we know could be on the path to the correct answer anyway. But alas, everyone is always smarter and wiser.

Thanks for your time and efforts Breeze. Appreciate the insights and clarifications you've provided to date, despite having no obligation to do. Keep up the good work.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:28 am

Breeze doesn't hang out here anyways. Nothing wrong with a fantasy football debate. If you want to get more of his hot takes, check him out on twitter. That's where he hangs out.

Oslo, you can rip my opinions here any time. I can take the heat. Fwiw, you were correct to point out that Breeze expicitly said he'd rather be slow to act than constantly react to the 'news'. I hear you, and you were justified to ask him why he changed his mind.

FiremanEd, we all put on our pants just the same each day. Having the authority over Roto depth charts doesn't change that.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm

It's not about him being better, rather I don't Twitter and enjoyed his insights when he would comment in threads. I appreciated having the clarifications and insights. Unfortunately more often than not it seemed when he would make a post to voluntarily attempt to provide insights into the approach, someone upset with a designation change would without end challenge it. I can empathize with his comment that regardless of best efforts and intentions that people will always dispute it and be unhappy. I agree that at a point it doesn't even make sense to engage in the discussion and with that the others who enjoyed having that insight are the ones that lose out.

I'll add that this discussion isn't the only one either, so I don't think it should be limited to just those involved here. It is a broader comment. I'll also note thatI can appreciate many of the other contrarian tales presented in those discussions, but understand the uphill battle it would without a doubt be when being responsible for such changes and talking with those negatively impacted or disappointed with the results. It is a lose/lose. Comes with the job and territory for sure, but it didn't have to be to the point where the dialogues end and now no insights are provided.

I guess I'll just have to Twitter or search the other outlets he uses for them now, and that is what it is.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm It's not about him being better, rather I don't Twitter and enjoyed his insights when he would comment in threads. I appreciated having the clarifications and insights. Unfortunately more often than not it seemed when he would make a post to voluntarily attempt to provide insights into the approach, someone upset with a designation change would without end challenge it. I can empathize with his comment that regardless of best efforts and intentions that people will always dispute it and be unhappy. I agree that at a point it doesn't even make sense to engage in the discussion and with that the others who enjoyed having that insight are the ones that lose out.

I'll add that this discussion isn't the only one either, so I don't think it should be limited to just those involved here. It is a broader comment. I'll also note thatI can appreciate many of the other contrarian tales presented in those discussions, but understand the uphill battle it would without a doubt be when being responsible for such changes and talking with those negatively impacted or disappointed with the results. It is a lose/lose. Comes with the job and territory for sure, but it didn't have to be to the point where the dialogues end and now no insights are provided.

I guess I'll just have to Twitter or search the other outlets he uses for them now, and that is what it is.
X2

I also don't have Twitter, and I appreciated Breeze's clarifications
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Well, he's a FFB player. He's wrong as often as we are, because well..... it's fantasy football. His insights can be as wrong as often as ours are. He usually forces it upon his audience, so it's a part of the pushback that he gets.

As stated above, tho, I've been over the whole debating player positions with him. I only ask questions that might lead to conclusions. But let's keep into perspective: It's a job that he signed on for, and you make it sound as if he's been bullied. It's his choice to come here and answer questions or not.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Bruiser wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm Well, he's a FFB player. He's wrong as often as we are, because well..... it's fantasy football. His insights can be as wrong as often as ours are. He usually forces it upon his audience, so it's a part of the pushback that he gets.

As stated above, tho, I've been over the whole debating player positions with him. I only ask questions that might lead to conclusions. But let's keep into perspective: It's a job that he signed on for, and you make it sound as if he's been bullied. It's his choice to come here and answer questions or not.
Bruiser I'm not saying I relish his takes because he's so smart, I'm saying I appreciate seeing his thoughts on stuff because he's one of the people who is in charge of player designations, so it behooves me to know what he plans to do somewhat
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Bruiser wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:28 am Breeze doesn't hang out here anyways. Nothing wrong with a fantasy football debate. If you want to get more of his hot takes, check him out on twitter. That's where he hangs out.

Oslo, you can rip my opinions here any time. I can take the heat. Fwiw, you were correct to point out that Breeze expicitly said he'd rather be slow to act than constantly react to the 'news'. I hear you, and you were justified to ask him why he changed his mind.

FiremanEd, we all put on our pants just the same each day. Having the authority over Roto depth charts doesn't change that.
Hah, I appreciate that. Same to you. I'm not perfect, I'm not always right in reading a situation and I'll have the occasional brain fart. As does Breeze and pretty much everyone else. If I write something that you disagree with, call me out on it and we'll all be smarter for it.

I find it important that MFL position designations (through RW depth charts) are handled by a certain process that is consistent and understandable and I didn't find that to be the case here based on what Breeze himself has tweeted recently about his process. If I can't bring that up and debate that with him without him quitting the forum then I'm sorry, some people handle criticism that way. And his explanations didn't make much sense as Thomas didn't participate in minicamp and played base end in rookie minicamp. It's okay to be wrong from time to time. Just admit it and move on, we all understand that people make mistakes. To withdraw from the debate and the forum as a whole seems awfully dramatic.

Btw, Evan Silva retweeted a link yesterday to the Sacbee 49ers beat writer that read:

1. DL Solomon Thomas. He took part in a rookie minicamp on May 5 but missed every other spring practice because Stanford's classes were still in session. Thomas' learning curve is not expected to be steep. In the rookie minicamp, he played the so-called 'big end" spot that Tank Carradine manned this spring. That's similar to one of his main positions at Stanford. Thomas has been able to watch 49ers practices via his iPad and may be part of a group that trains in Hawaii that includes DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Ronald Blair, Eli Harold and Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett. That trip would be valuable to Thomas since Bennett plays 'big end,' too.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-fr ... 24159.html

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Oslo Oildrillers wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:47 pm If I can't bring that up and debate that with him without him quitting the forum then I'm sorry, some people handle criticism that way.... To withdraw from the debate and the forum as a whole seems awfully dramatic.
I think he just withdrew from the debate in general and not the forum as was suggested. Breeze is a tough nut and he'll be back here to check the pulse next time he updates positions. Trust me, Breeze is not scared off by a debate here on the DLF forum. He's simply moved on. He has a brand to promote to a larger audience, and for what its worth he seems to be doing just fine without 'us'. No biggie. I shoot the breeze with him on twitter. We're not enemies nor rivals. Just two Chicago guys that are willing to stick our neck out on player evals.

Lukky, I hear what you're saying about more insight here, but if you really dig in and look at a few trends in the league, you can predict 95% of what player designations are stable or changing. The insight you're looking for is on twitter, tho.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 am

UPDATE: Buckner now DT on Roto

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:57 am

dlf_bruiser wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 am UPDATE: Buckner now DT on Roto
Yeah, and Thomas at DE. He's got Tank as the 5th DT though, which doesn't make much sense since he is currently the starting strongside end, but oh well...nobody cares about Tank anyways.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 am

The following player position changes will be made on Wednesday, August 23rd, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

ATL: Damontae Kazee from CB to S
BAL: Maurice Canady from S to CB
BAL: Lardarius Webb from CB to S
BUF: Eddie Yarbrough from LB to DE
CIN: Josh Shaw from CB to S
IND: Darius Butler from CB to S
NE : Deatrich Wise from DT to DE
NO : Alex Okafor from LB to DE
NO : Jason Jones from DE to DT
NYG: Romeo Okwara from DT to DE
OAK: IK Enemkpali from DE to LB
SF : Solomon Thomas from DT to DE
SF : Cornellius Carradine from DT to DE
SF : DeForest Buckner from DE to DT
TB : Ryan Smith from S to CB