IDP Trading

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

IDP Trading

Postby pierson242 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Okay IDP experts, i know how to pick out the good and bad IDP players but i never know how to trade for them, as in trading an offensive player for a defensive. For team 1 in my sig i desperately need a DT. Owner has both Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox. What player on my team could i use to aquire him. He also has Kwon Alexander. Would Drew Brees and Marcus Golden for Donald and Alexander be even close to right value? Thanks for the help guys!
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: IDP Trading

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Just for reference...

Starting requirements- "Start 1 DT 2 DE 3 LB 1 CB 2 S 2 DP"
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm Just for reference...

Starting requirements- "Start 1 DT 2 DE 3 LB 1 CB 2 S 2 DP"
Thank you Gridiron Guerilla

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:16 pm

No worries. Your IDP scoring would be helpful too brother.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Top 5 IDP Scorers
Landon Collins 220
Kwon Alexander 214
Zach Brown 200
Wagner 198.5
Ogletree 189

Top 5 Offense
Rodger 374
Johnson 371
Ryan 344
Brees 333
Luck 307

1/2 Sack (HALFSK) 2 Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3
Each Interception (INT) 4 Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2
Each Fumble Forced (FF) 2 Each Safety (SF) 2
Assisted Tackles (TKA) 0.5 Solo Tackles (TKS) 1.5
Passes Defensed (PD) 1

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm

You need a value chart. That is the only way to know exactly how to value players within your league's framework. See the link in my sig. for a side-by-side comparison of the two most popular league formats (non-IDP). You'll notice massive differences in value based on start requirements.

The number one advantage you can gain over your leaguemates is a chart like this that is custom tailored for your settings, so that come trading season you win more than you lose. You'll never look at fantasy football the same.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

ChicagoArch
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ChicagoArch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am

Bruiser wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm You need a value chart. That is the only way to know exactly how to value players within your league's framework. See the link in my sig. for a side-by-side comparison of the two most popular league formats (non-IDP). You'll notice massive differences in value based on start requirements.

The number one advantage you can gain over your leaguemates is a chart like this that is custom tailored for your settings, so that come trading season you win more than you lose. You'll never look at fantasy football the same.
I'm fascinated by this. What variables do you use and what's the formula to set value?
I'm toying with several variables including production, positional rank, Age, number of starters, average career length and NFL draft round.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Value is measured by performance above replacement value. In baseball, their formula gives them a WAR number for players that indicates their "wins above replacement value". What my algorithm does is very similar. If you play in auction or salary capped leagues, you can assign this metric a dollar value as a percentage of the total league funds available. If not playing in auction or salary capped leagues, the chart looks the same just using a player's index value to compare across positions. This chart is equally useful in non-auction leagues for the purpose of team construction. Think of it as a colored dart board, where you throw your darts at the more valuable (colored) areas.

If Aaron Rodgers is your projected QB1 for the next 5 years and he scores 12.1PPG more than than replacement-level QBs in your format, would you trade him for Antonio Brown? A chart like this will illustrate the inherent scarcity across your league's starting position groups and tells you whether QB1 and WR1 are equal or not equal. It also suggests where to throw your rookie draft darts.

Now... you can run this exercise and crunch these numbers for every trade you are offered or are offering. OR you can populate a chart like this before your offseason begins, so that it is at your fingertips when you need to pull a trigger on what looks like a good offer. The above example uses some easy numbers (QB1 and WR1), but you'll find better use out of a value chart when you're projecting WR24 vs LB10 plus DE14. Know what I mean?

Think of the Jimmy Johnson-led 90's Cowboys. They developed a value chart for draft picks that allowed them to amass more trades than the other NFL franchises combined. Each trade, they tried to "shave" points for themselves. Sometimes they lost, but more often they gained value. I suppose they probably would not have been able to move so quickly without their chart. Imagine having multiple owners and offers on the phone at once while trying to manually crunch each move and counter. I'm sure that having a well-designed chart gave them confidence to act swiftly in their volume approach, as it does me.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Bruiser wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm You need a value chart. That is the only way to know exactly how to value players within your league's framework. See the link in my sig. for a side-by-side comparison of the two most popular league formats (non-IDP). You'll notice massive differences in value based on start requirements.

So what is the best way to fill this out? For example could you share your own filled out? Sorry just want to make sure im using it correctly!

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:50 pm

It's not a difficult task for me to pull the data from any given league and setup a basic chart like the ones in my signature. I've done upwards of 100 of them over the last 5 or 6 years. I've really sharpened my method and can get one done in one hour. I am honest about my shortcomings, and teaching others is one of them. I wish I could point you to the video tutorial that I saw in 2011, but it has since been removed.

Half of the process is understanding the process. The other half is understanding how to effectively setup and use a spreadsheet full of formulas. Most people are ok at that, it's the process they struggle with. I don't struggle with the math and predictability of injuries. I accept the math and ignore injuries. The best team doesn't always win, and if you can accept that... you're having fun.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Bruiser wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:50 pm It's not a difficult task for me to pull the data from any given league and setup a basic chart like the ones in my signature. I've done upwards of 100 of them over the last 5 or 6 years. I've really sharpened my method and can get one done in one hour. I am honest about my shortcomings, and teaching others is one of them. I wish I could point you to the video tutorial that I saw in 2011, but it has since been removed.

Half of the process is understanding the process. The other half is understanding how to effectively setup and use a spreadsheet full of formulas. Most people are ok at that, it's the process they struggle with. I don't struggle with the math and predictability of injuries. I accept the math and ignore injuries. The best team doesn't always win, and if you can accept that... you're having fun.
Okay thanks, Ill see if i can figure it out

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:39 pm

You're already on the right course.

ChicagoArch
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ChicagoArch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Would it be weird to start a thread just on spreadsheets? It really is amazing what you can do with a good spreadsheet. I put 10 years of rookie drafts into a spreadsheet and ranked each pick's usefulness. It's been really telling as I analyze everything.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Yeah, I use them for almost everything, as they allow you to sort and filter everything.