How to score IDP?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

How to score IDP?

Postby Cojo 2020 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I have never played in an IDP league, and I am trying really hard to get one of my leagues to adopt IDP. There is some interest on the other owner's parts, but I have been tasked with the job of figuring out, and presenting an IDP scoring system. I figured I should go to the experts on this site to find out how you guys score IDP in your current leagues. Also of note, do you also do DST's with IDP's or just IDP'S?

As far as adding players goes, I am pushing for an independent one-time only, IDP entry draft based on random draft order. I was thinking the fairest way to handle this would be to allow owners to keep some (no more than 2 or 3) of the IDP's from both of their current DST's on their roster. This would allow somebody who really likes their DST to keep the best part of it, thus making it easier for me to sell the idea of IDP's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cory
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: How to score IDP?

Postby lemmi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:03 pm

I think once you go IDP, you gotta remove the D/ST team aspect of it. I've never played in a league that scored both at the same time.
I'm not sure how you could work that in.
As for scoring, you can make it pretty much however you want.

One IDP league I'm in now scores D like this:
Tackle: 1.5pts
Assist: .75 pts
Sack: 3 pts.
Safety: 2 pts.
Pass Defensed: 2 pts
Forced Fumble: 1 pt.
Fumble Recovery: 4 pts.
Int: 4pts.
All TD's: 6pts

Me, I'd like to see DL's get a higher point total for tackles to make everyone more relevant. Maybe make LB tackles 1 pt or 1.25 pts and DL tackles 1.5 or 1.75 pts.
Kind of level the playing field like PPR did for WR's and RB's.
LB's are very overvalued here in this league I think. Willis was 26th highest scorer in that league in '09.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Here's a link to the scoring in one of my leagues: http://football19.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... 29328&O=09

I would make a full transition to IDP and NOT use DST.

I would suggest starting 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, and a flex or two -- immerse yourself in IDP, do not take it slow by only starting with a couple of slots.

I would not have your teams keep IDPs from the team Defense you currently have, but I can see the merits of that if it helps the transition.

Good luck! -oo-

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 pm

lemmi wrote:

Me, I'd like to see DL's get a higher point total for tackles to make everyone more relevant. Maybe make LB tackles 1 pt or 1.25 pts and DL tackles 1.5 or 1.75 pts.
LB's are very overvalued here in this league I think. Willis was 26th highest scorer in that league in '09.
I actually wouldn't do this - all it does is makes the top few DLs into supermen and benefit the few teams who own those players. Kind of like how any special scoring rule, like PPR, benefits the top players more.

Also, I wouldn't worry about where the top LBs end up ranked. top 20 overall, top 50, or even out of the top 200 - it's all relative.

-oo-

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:13 pm

meineymoe wrote:
lemmi wrote:

I actually wouldn't do this - all it does is makes the top few DLs into supermen and benefit the few teams who own those players. Kind of like how any special scoring rule, like PPR, benefits the top players more.

Also, I wouldn't worry about where the top LBs end up ranked. top 20 overall, top 50, or even out of the top 200 - it's all relative.

-oo-
If tackles are equal to each position, you're taking DL based on their sack potential and nothing more.
Jared Allen was DL1 last year and had 42 tackles.
Juqua Parker at DL24 had 30 tackles. A difference of only 18 pts at 1.5 pts per tackle.
One scored 150 pts (Allen) and one scored 88 pts.
Difference was in the sack's and big plays.
I'm not suggesting making all stats different, but tackles, why not.
Kinda the same principal as leagues where ppr counts different for RB (.5), WR (1 pt) and TE (1.5).

It might help sell his league-mates into the idea.

bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bdynomite » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:57 pm

My league has very custom IDP scoring, we tried to balance it out so all three (DE/LB/DB) positions are liable contenders. Hope this helps!

Tackle: 2 pts (DL) 1 pt (LB) 1 pt (DB)
Assist: 1 pt
Sack: 1.5 pts per 0.5 (DL) 1 pt per 0.5 (LB) 2 pts per 0.5 (DB)
Safety: 4 pts
Pass Defensed: 1 pt (DL/LB) 2 pts (DB)
Forced Fumble: 3 pts
Fumble Recovery: 3 pts
Interception: 3 pts
Touchdown: 6 pts

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:05 pm

I´d just forget about DST´s. Dont mix them with the IDP´s.

I´d choose the following starting lineup requirements:

2 DL
2 LB
2 DB
2 Flex(DL,LB,DB)

Scoring:

Solo tackle: 2 pts
Ast: 1 pt.
Sacks/Int: 4 pts
FF/Fumblerec: 3 pts
PassDef: 2 pts
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:11 pm

My favorite IDP league is high scoring:
all defensive TD's 6pts no matter how scored
blocked kick 3pts
fumble recovery 1 pt
forced fumble 2pt
safety 2pt
solo tackle 2pt
pass defended 2pt
interception 8pts
sack 6pts
assit tackle 1pt
stuffs or tackle for loss .5pt

One of my others is 6 pts for every 3 tackles and 3 pts per sack/interception, which I think sucks as a scoring system for tackles because the guy with 3 tackles and the guy with 5 tackles both get 3pts.
Another league is 1pt per tackle, 4 sack or interception and the usual stuff.

2 leagues are 2DL, 2LB, 2DB
1 league 3DL, 3LB, 2CB, 2S
1 league is 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, with a flex that is determined by one of the teams for a certain position that has to be played by both teams... sort of a home field advantage thing.

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 pm

What about kick returners...do you guys have a separate position for that when using IDP's?
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:18 am

Cojo 2020 wrote:What about kick returners...do you guys have a separate position for that when using IDP's?
Atleast never seen it like that with seperate position. If you want return yardage scoring, I would just install it for every position. So when you´re starting Jim Leonhard for example, he brings you some points for tackles(or whatever defensive stats he gets) and possibly some points from the return game.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11