NEW IDP Player

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:This should also help you guys.
I believe these are the defesive scheme's currently being played as far as I know:

3-4: KC, DEN, BUF, GB, SF, WAS, DAL, PIT, MIA, NE, SD, CLE
4-3: HOU, NYG, TEN, OAK, PHI, ATL, SEA, DET, CIN, TB, JAX
TAMPA2/4-3: CHI, CAR, IND, MIN
Varying 3-4 + 4-3: BAL, NO, NYJ, ARI (I know ARI is a 3-4 team, but I believe they emply some 4-3)
Yes they do

This is a great list. It pains me to see so many teams moving to 3-4...just kills the DE value.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:47 am

rkrazy wrote:
I believe these are the defesive scheme's currently being played as far as I know:

Varying 3-4 + 4-3: BAL, NO, NYJ, ARI (I know ARI is a 3-4 team, but I believe they emply some 4-3)
Yes they do

This is a great list. It pains me to see so many teams moving to 3-4...just kills the DE value.
And it limits the value of a lot of the inside LB's....sad sad sad

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 am

hosler427 wrote:
rkrazy wrote:

Yes they do

That's quite the generalization there Dan. It depends on the scheme. The Ravens/Jets scheme has allowed for big fantasy stats from Ray Lewis and David Harris respectively. DJ Williams in Denver was fine last year, Willis in SF. There are plenty of 3-4 ILBs that put up points.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 am

BubbaBurst wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
rkrazy wrote: Yes they do

That's quite the generalization there Dan. It depends on the scheme. The Ravens/Jets scheme has allowed for big fantasy stats from Ray Lewis and David Harris respectively. DJ Williams in Denver was fine last year, Willis in SF. There are plenty of 3-4 ILBs that put up points.
That's true. The deployment of the 3-4 scheme can still make a tackle machine LB. Although the 3-4 can let a blocker into the LB's, some 3-4's are still set up for one of the ILB to be the guy who typically gets the block which sets the other one up for the tackle. Note that SF is a 3-4 and they have the best LB in the game. The 3-4 kills the DE value and that's why it's important to secure a good 4-3 DE early. A LB you can still pick up.... he won't be P.Willis, but the drop off in quality LB is much slower then the drop off in DE. Harris and Lewis are bad examples since they play a varied front depending on down/distance, so they are far from a true 3-4.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:00 pm

BubbaBurst wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
rkrazy wrote: Yes they do

Totally agree JB. But let's not forget, the best part about more teams going to the 3-4 defense is less Cover 2 and more overload blitzes and man coverage. It makes for better watchin. ;)
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:35 am

3-4: KC, DEN, BUF, GB, SF, WAS, DAL, PIT, MIA, NE, SD, NE, CLE

Excellent job and great information Mr Rourke!! Thankyou!

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:50 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:I'll give you a crash course of what pops into my head for full IDP as we don't know if you just have a simple 2 defensive flex spots or a full defensive starts.....

The best advice I'd give is lock down a top DL guy, but there aren't a lot of them. A couple DL guys are difference makers.
So would you ever recommend taking a top flight DE over Willis?

I'm in a first year dyno, and we're doing a separate IDP draft. I have the first pick (12-team, serpentine draft). I'd be tempted to take a guy like J. Allen over Willis because, like you said, MLBs are deep and stud DEs are not. His age is definitely scaring me off though. Also, how long is the shelf life for a stud DE? Lastly, who knows how much longer the Williams wall will be in effect? Those add up to too many questions for a first overall pick, imo.

Our scoring is funky. It is designed to make the players that are actually good in real life, good in fantasy too (such as D. Revis). The top 3 IDPs in this format last year were C. Woodson, Allen, and Willis, in that order. Revis was 7th. Scoring below:

3 points for every 10 Assisted Tackles (0.3 per) ALL
7 points for every 10 Solo Tackles (0.7 per) ALL
4 points for every Interception DB, DL, LB
2 points for every Sack DL
3 points for every Sack DB, DL, LB
3 points for every Fumble Forced ALL
2 points for every Fumble Recovered DB, DL, LB
6 points for every Safety ALL
7 points for every Defensive TD DB, DL, LB
2 extra points for every Defensive TD of 80 or more yards ALL
2 extra points for every Defensive TD between 40 and 79 yards (inclusive) ALL
1 point for every Pass Defended DL
2 points for every Pass Defended

Didn't mean to hi-jack, but figured this would probably help out the OP too.

Thoughts?

brice587
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby brice587 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:56 pm

justinwp wrote:
MR ROURKE wrote:I'll give you a crash course of what pops into my head for full IDP as we don't know if you just have a simple 2 defensive flex spots or a full defensive starts.....

The best advice I'd give is lock down a top DL guy, but there aren't a lot of them. A couple DL guys are difference makers.

I'm in a first year dyno, and we're doing a separate IDP draft. I have the first pick (12-team, serpentine draft). I'd be tempted to take a guy like J. Allen over Willis because, like you said, MLBs are deep and stud DEs are not. His age is definitely scaring me off though. Also, how long is the shelf life for a stud DE? Lastly, who knows how much longer the Williams wall will be in effect? Those add up to too many questions for a first overall pick, imo.

Our scoring is funky. It is designed to make the players that are actually good in real life, good in fantasy too (such as D. Revis). The top 3 IDPs in this format last year were C. Woodson, Allen, and Willis, in that order. Revis was 7th. Scoring below:

Thoughts?
I think you'd definitely have to consier it in a league like that, which emphasizes big play scoring, unlike leagues where one tackle is worth 2 or 3 points, which generally makes LBs worth a whole lot more than even the best DL.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:50 pm

justinwp wrote:

Thoughts?
You have to do what you feel is best for your team. If you have questions about Allen, then take Willis. Willis isn't a bad choice. You never know what the other people in your draft are going to do and one of the few top DL guys might get back to you anyway... who knows.
I think it's important to get some rankings you trust and are appropriate for your scoring.... then divide the players into tiers. This will help you greatly as the rounds get deeper to see where the "value" picks are. You also want to make note next to the young upside guys at LB and DE, so you keep track of where they are also.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm

justinwp wrote:

Thoughts?
Willis is the ultimate IDP stud. Willis and Jared Allen are in a tier by themselves @ their respective positions. Although I would rather have Willis (#1 LB) and Mario Williams (my #5 DE) than D'Qwell Jackson (my #5 LB) and Jared Allen (#1 DE). Defensive linemen are far more susceptible to up and down seasons than linebackers. Last season Jared Allen's totals were aided by some big plays. He had huge weeks but also had 7 weeks where he scored less than 7 points (in my scoring format). In my format Allen scored 326.90 while Willis scored 354.80 and never less than 12 points in any one week. No matter what scoring you play there were 7 weeks where Allen just didn't put up great numbers. Consistency in the position is where Willis wins IMO.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 pm

brice587 wrote:
justinwp wrote:

Thoughts?
I think you'd definitely have to consier it in a league like that, which emphasizes big play scoring, unlike leagues where one tackle is worth 2 or 3 points, which generally makes LBs worth a whole lot more than even the best DL.
I don't know if I'd say that it emphasizes big play scoring as much as it de-values the consistency from the LB and SS positions. If it was 4pts/sack with bonus points for distance scoring, then I might think otherwise. But 2pts/sack for DL isn't much. If anything, the bonus points gives DBs a bump IMO.

To answer the question of Allen vs Willis, I think you still have to take Willis with the #1 pick because you have to assume that several LBs will be taken before it gets back to you. And like ROURKE said, I'd rather have the #1 LB and a top 5-10 DL then the other way around.

The scoring system is kinda funky though. I'd definitely try to get some depth at DB before too much depth at DL in that league. Even Allen gets shut out sometimes. :wink:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:I think you'd definitely have to consier it in a league like that, which emphasizes big play scoring, unlike leagues where one tackle is worth 2 or 3 points, which generally makes LBs worth a whole lot more than even the best DL.

I don't know if I'd say that it emphasizes big play scoring as much as it de-values the consistency from the LB and SS positions. If it was 4pts/sack with bonus points for distance scoring, then I might think otherwise. But 2pts/sack for DL isn't much. If anything, the bonus points gives DBs a bump IMO.

To answer the question of Allen vs Willis, I think you still have to take Willis with the #1 pick because you have to assume that several LBs will be taken before it gets back to you. And like ROURKE said, I'd rather have the #1 LB and a top 5-10 DL then the other way around.

The scoring system is kinda funky though. I'd definitely try to get some depth at DB before too much depth at DL in that league. Even Allen gets shut out sometimes. :wink:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good breakdown of how the scoring system affects the valuations of the different positions.

I'm still a little overwhelmed by the whole IDP thing, but once my main draft is over I'll be able to focus on that and get it figured out. Thanks, guys.