DLF IDP CHAMPIONSHIP

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: DLF IDP CHAMPIONSHIP

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:16 pm

saw061600 wrote:Learned a lot already: auctions are better than snake but you got to have your bleep together, stick to your plan cause this ain't just about BPA, never...ever, panic, and Bruiser is a shark, a frugal shark but still a shark (LMAO).
I'm blushing :oops:

I'm thinking my strategy just might pay off. I've done well in auctions where I stay patient. This best ball format has me thinking about a 15 round fight. I've prepared to last thru the early rounds. Stickin' and movin' :wave:

Follow along here
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:20 am

I think it's an even better strategy when half of the league has never auction drafted before! Smart move.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:28 pm

To be honest, I don't think this was lopsided by experience. The values that players were won at were good in many cases if this were not best-ball. Aaron Rodgers at $51 is a steal if you are setting a lineup and needing consistency. This would not be my normal approach in an auction, but here I wanted to get multiple cheap QBs hoping for some big weeks between them.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

DLF IDP CHAMPIONSHIP

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm

I agree. The BestBall variable changed things a lot from standard. In lineup setting, top dogs still own the cheddar.

Frankly, it's still very TBD on how things play out. Some spent larger but have sweet rosters. Some went cheaper and have more depth. Very much still up in the air on which will come out on top. It just seems rough for people with little funds to play with now, but early it sucked not getting in on the 'studs'!

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:15 pm

I have yet to spend $1. I have no players rostered yet, but I'm about to fill out as fast as some started. That should (fingers crossed) get me to the playoffs in this format.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 pm

I was just giving you bleep. These are tough lessons and I'm glad to have the experience before it counts next year.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:30 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote:I think it's an even better strategy when half of the league has never auction drafted before! Smart move.
Hahahaha you're kind of right.

Go figure that I've had the busiest week of my life (or at least the last year) and we also just happened to start this auction and I didn't really have a clue what I was doing. Lol
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Eagles4life » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:43 pm

As the auction comes to a close, I'm sure we all have some regrets.... what 3 contracts are your biggest regrets?

1) Ogletree $40 (I was so focused on it being best ball... wanted to ensure I landed a stud early, should've waited and trusted my cut, but I didn't)
2) Gabbert $22 (this was a panic bid on my part... I fully admit I should've looked harder at the options still available, this is probably my biggest regret) :doh:
3) Griffen $25 (my man crush, drove this one)

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:20 pm

My only two players north of $25 are Rawls ($26) and Cobb ($25). I have nooooooooo regrets. :nono:

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:23 pm

1.) Clayton Gaethers $22 (I'm about a year too early and $18 over value on that one)
2.) Moritz Bohringer $1 (I'll never get that dollar back... ever.)
3.) Every pick over $30 besides Russell Wilson (See Fireman Ed and Bruiser)

-Booger McFarlland

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Tough to say to be honest, but in the moment I was regretting Matt Ryan. The guy just seems off and I originally said I wouldn't bid on him. Then I did and wanted the money back. The kicker was when he had the same bye week as Fitz, forcing me to go hard for Oz (who I'm not high on either). As it is, I spent a lot on QBs and I'm not sold on any. Have to hope the committee approach aligns. In reality, could have probably got two guys for the same price and been better off.

Outside that, I'm just glad my frugal approach rewarded me in the end with some deals. Not going to lie, it is tough watching loads of big names go off the board. Some are easy because the cost is outrageous, but you never know how things will play out later on. It was a risk either way. Too much one way can hurt and so can too much the other. Depends on how it goes all the way through. Dynasty will also be very different than Redraft, as some play for now and some for later. It will again be very different.

I enjoyed the ride though. $25 Redraft I think was the right approach to allow people the experience. Going straight dynasty would have been a league fail IMO. With a Redraft, learn and wipe the slate clean.

Good job by all (well...most).

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Well said, FiremanEd. Nice summary about how going dynasty would have been a league fail. On another note: I've been a big Matt Ryan buyer in the last three years (redraft auctions) and have to completely agree with you. He did not like the Shanahan offense last year, and I was stuck holding the bag on him in multiple leagues. I took losses on all of the trades I made for him (and subsequently to get rid of him).

I'm currently sitting with 7 players left to fill my squad. I have a bit of cushion in the funds department, so I anticipate winning all of my seven remaining players. Also, I will need to follow up about how Victory Points are awarded.

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:27 am

The issue for me has been volume at positions. I'm likely to end up with a STACK of players at DB and Dline just because of trying to play the system. My own fault I guess...

And of course paying a fortune for Antonio Brown. Probably a bad idea but its my only share anywhere so why not?

Should be fun watching how it all pans out. Certainly a very unique league!
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 am

I've got my last dollar bid and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

-Booger McFarlland

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 am

Bruiser - as expected you and I have been bidding against each other the last couple of days.

Just how badly do you want Kevin White, Paul Dawson and Darren Sproles?
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate