Mr. Martinez

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Mr. Martinez

Postby The Red Rooster » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Did any one get to see the Packers preseason game tonight? I'm really interested to know how Blake Martinez faired and was he a 3 down backer? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Mr. Martinez

Postby Pix » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:52 pm

I was a bit concerned that Martinez didn't appear on the box score, so I checked the gamebook. He started at ILB and played just 11 defensive snaps and 8 special teams snaps.

And there was this from ESPN:
"On a blitz up the middle, Martinez pressured Griffin into throwing the ball to the ground to avoid a sack."

So, to answer your question: No, I didn't see the game.

Yung Don
Starter
Starter

Postby Yung Don » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:42 am

Pix wrote:I was a bit concerned that Martinez didn't appear on the box score, so I checked the gamebook. He started at ILB and played just 11 defensive snaps and 8 special teams snaps.

"On a blitz up the middle, Martinez pressured Griffin into throwing the ball to the ground to avoid a sack."

Interesting.... Are you speculating that he has already won duties for full-time ILB and will be a nice IDP producer this year?? And I should most definitely not drop him in favor of Jaylon Smith, Deion Jones or Sua Cravens?
The Yung Don Soda Boy's 2014 Champions, 2015 Champions, 2016 3rd Place, 2020 3rd Place, 2021 2nd Place
12 Team, .5 PPR, 35 man roster, IDP: 2DL, 3LB, 2DB
QB: Trevor Lawrence, Baker Mayfield, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, Rhamondre Stevenson, Brian Robinson Jr., Jerome Ford, Zach Charbonnet, Pierre Strong, Israel Abanikanda, Damien Harris, Deuce Vaughn
WR: Rashee Rice, Jayden Reed, Calvin Ridley,, Jerry Jeudy, Juju Smith-Schuster, Skyy Moore, Kyle Phillips, A.T. Perry, Dyami Brown, Xavier Hutchinson, Charlie Jones, Kayshon Boutte
TE: TJ Hockenson, Mike Gesicki, Hunter Henry, Harrison Bryant
DL: Deforest Buckner, Cameron Jordan
LB: Devin White, Fred Warner, Robert Spillane
DB: Jeremy Chinn, Tyrann Mathieu, Jamal Adams

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks! Playing special teams is a bit suprising to me.

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:22 am

Yung Don wrote:
Pix wrote:I was a bit concerned that Martinez didn't appear on the box score, so I checked the gamebook. He started at ILB and played just 11 defensive snaps and 8 special teams snaps.

Interesting.... Are you speculating that he has already won duties for full-time ILB and will be a nice IDP producer this year?? And I should most definitely not drop him in favor of Jaylon Smith, Deion Jones or Sua Cravens?
You should absolutely leave those three 2nd rounders on the waiver wire.
The Packers told Jake Ryan and Sam Barrington to take the night off, and that's all you need to know.
No need to thank me.

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 pm

OK, I've watched some of the game, so here's the analysis of a complete IDP ignoramus.

Martinez played on the first 11 defensive plays, that is the first 2 Browns drives. He mostly played in the middle, but also once on the strong side and once at RDE in blitz formation.

I couldn't judge his coverage abilities as he wasn't tested on the 3 occasions he was covering 1-on-1.

He proved less than effective in run coverage, as he missed his only tackle opportunity. He got both hands on Duke Johnson but barely slowed him. (2:31 left in Q1 if you can check it out.)

His moment of glory came on a blitz down the middle, where he beat the center easily to hurry RGIII. Gotta say though, Cleveland's center was not very good, and Perry had done the exact same thing earlier.

The only other point of interest was that on the first play Martinez appeared to be directing the linebackers.

Overall, good to see him playing with the "firsts" (no Peppers, Matthews or Ryan) but he's got to show me some run stopping ability if he wants to stick on my roster.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Pix wrote:OK, I've watched some of the game, so here's the analysis of a complete IDP ignoramus.

Martinez played on the first 11 defensive plays, that is the first 2 Browns drives. He mostly played in the middle, but also once on the strong side and once at RDE in blitz formation.

I couldn't judge his coverage abilities as he wasn't tested on the 3 occasions he was covering 1-on-1.

He proved less than effective in run coverage, as he missed his only tackle opportunity. He got both hands on Duke Johnson but barely slowed him. (2:31 left in Q1 if you can check it out.)

His moment of glory came on a blitz down the middle, where he beat the center easily to hurry RGIII. Gotta say though, Cleveland's center was not very good, and Perry had done the exact same thing earlier.

The only other point of interest was that on the first play Martinez appeared to be directing the linebackers.

Overall, good to see him playing with the "firsts" (no Peppers, Matthews or Ryan) but he's got to show me some run stopping ability if he wants to stick on my roster.
You are the man!! Much appreciated!

Yung Don
Starter
Starter

Postby Yung Don » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Pix wrote:
Yung Don wrote:

You should absolutely leave those three 2nd rounders on the waiver wire.
The Packers told Jake Ryan and Sam Barrington to take the night off, and that's all you need to know.
No need to thank me.
Oh dear... Cravens, Smith and Jones were taken in the 2nd round and Martinez was a 4th rounder, but I'm hearing that Jones is all but guarenteed to start, Smith is apparently the best LB worth the wait, and Sua is generating buzz in training camp and showed well in his first game action..... What makes Blake better than any of those guys? Besides, in a tackle heavy scoring league like I play in, GB linebackers have never really historically produced big point scorers at the position. Don't get me wrong though, I drafted him and am a fan but I feel like the players I mentioned above have more invested in them from their respective teams and will be given more opportunities to score fantasy points.
The Yung Don Soda Boy's 2014 Champions, 2015 Champions, 2016 3rd Place, 2020 3rd Place, 2021 2nd Place
12 Team, .5 PPR, 35 man roster, IDP: 2DL, 3LB, 2DB
QB: Trevor Lawrence, Baker Mayfield, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, Rhamondre Stevenson, Brian Robinson Jr., Jerome Ford, Zach Charbonnet, Pierre Strong, Israel Abanikanda, Damien Harris, Deuce Vaughn
WR: Rashee Rice, Jayden Reed, Calvin Ridley,, Jerry Jeudy, Juju Smith-Schuster, Skyy Moore, Kyle Phillips, A.T. Perry, Dyami Brown, Xavier Hutchinson, Charlie Jones, Kayshon Boutte
TE: TJ Hockenson, Mike Gesicki, Hunter Henry, Harrison Bryant
DL: Deforest Buckner, Cameron Jordan
LB: Devin White, Fred Warner, Robert Spillane
DB: Jeremy Chinn, Tyrann Mathieu, Jamal Adams

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:12 am

Pix wrote:OK, I've watched some of the game, so here's the analysis of a complete IDP ignoramus.......
This is brilliant. More of this stuff please!
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

buckysGT
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby buckysGT » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:31 am

You guys have any more thoughts on Martinez? After last nights game I have started getting several offers for him. I didn't see the game, so I'm not sure how he played.
12 Team Full Dynasty with IDP - 53 man in season rosters, 75 man off season rosters
Start qb, 2 rbs, 2 wrs, te, flex, dl, 2 lbs, 2 dbs, 2 def flex
Off. scoring - ppr, 6 pts all tds, .1pt/1 yard rushing and passing, 1pt/20 yards passing
IDP scoring - 2pts/tackle and sack, 1pt/asst tackle, 3 pts/ff and fr, 4pts/INT

Qb-
Rb-
Wr-
Te-
Lb-
Db-
Dl-

Picks

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:41 am

I'm beginning to think I know as much about football as you guys do about cricket.

Against the 49ers Martinez played all of the first half, wore the headset, and the Packers commentators were full of praise for him.

What I saw was a guy who couldn't get to the ball carrier. He may have leadership skills, intelligence and vision, but he doesn't seem to have enough speed. His one solo tackle, Gabbert was already sliding. (If that's Brady, it's a flag.) His future on my roster is looking bleak.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:47 am

I tend to agree...his spot on my roster is looking more and more like I am going to give it to Deion Jones.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:36 pm

With the Packers releasing Barrington, Martinez is someone you should let sit on your bench for the first few weeks. He has a great opportunity in front of him and is worth the risk to see if he can seize it.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 am

I got offered Shaq Thompson for him in a fairly tackle-heavy league. It sounds from this thread I should take that?

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:20 pm

I wouldn't. Give me the guy wearing the green dot playing every down.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry