2016 Rookie IDPs

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: 2016 Rookie IDPs

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Scooby had impressive stats, though I wonder if he will be exposed in the NFL and blend as Just A Guy. I'll need to watch more on him, and get a better understanding of the injury. An impressive college career though to be sure.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 am

Darron Lee (Ohio State) has declared for the draft. I think he's a pretty intriguing player for IDP'ers, definitely interested to see who drafts him and how they plan to deploy him.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:50 am

Haven't watched a lot of him, but being an undersized athletic guy, I worry he will be a less productive Shazier, who seems to battle injuries regularly...

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 am

FiremanEd wrote:Haven't watched a lot of him, but being an undersized athletic guy, I worry he will be a less productive Shazier, who seems to battle injuries regularly...
Shazier is a fair comparison for Lee. He definitely comes with those size-related question marks.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:41 am

Hey guys, love the input so far on this thread. Will definitely be a prime resource leading up to the draft. Shame that none of the DLF writers have opined on the most active thread in the 7 weeks it's been out, but that's another story.

In terms of drafting IDP, my IDP leagues all have scoring that puts the top guys on par with (or ahead of) the top non-QBs. Reshad Jones scored 410 points in one league, and Antonio Brown only scored 388. Jones did have a monster year though, much as Watt did last year. We also start 11 IDP (same as O players) and in two leagues we have 1 flex spot that can be used on O or D.

However, I'm not spending anything more than a second on an IDP, and I'm in 15/16 team leagues. If I think there are some quality WRs or RBs that have been overlooked, that's who I'm picking. Defensive players are much more prone to injury due to the constant physical impact, which leads to a lot of volatility. For the most part, I'd rather spend my early picks (rounds 1-3) on offensive guys because you can turn a second round pick into multiple firsts if he blows up, but with the exception of Watt, no IDP will be able to provide that kind of return.

Granted, it's practically a lottery past 1.05 most years and you have to be flexible with your approach based on your own league settings and roster make-up/requirements. In one league I'm in a rebuild and have 2 firsts and 5 seconds in the upcoming draft. With that kind of draft capital I can afford to pull the trigger on some high end IDPs in the second round if I think the value is there in a weaker offensive class, but that's provided I haven't been able to acquire 2017 firsts or players I target in the offseason with my glut of seconds.

teprovich88
Captain
Captain

Postby teprovich88 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Where do we think (talent wise, situation will probably determine a lot of their value) the top 2016 rookie LBs rank into today's crop of LBs?

Jaylon Smith, ILB/OLB, Notre Dame - probably redshirting 2016 following his injury
Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
Scooby Wright III, ILB/OLB, Arizona
Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

Where does this class rank against the past 2 years? 2014: CJ Mosley/Ryan Shazier/Telvin Smith; 2015: Eric Kendricks, Stephone Anothony, Denzel Perryman, Kwon Alexander
Pittsburgh Predators: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Champion
NDFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/14733#0

Pittsburgh Tyrants: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 Champion
ADFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/12028#0

DLF HoF: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/23015#0

DLF Premium: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/15795#0

sms
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sms » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Recently in a full roster IDP league (12 team) I drafted CJ Mosley with the 11th pick in the second round. In the third I debated between Derek Carr and Aaron Donald with that 11th pick. I went with Carr, but the point is that Donald was there. Consequently Donald went with the next pick.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 am

Is anyone else's eyes bulging out of their head watching Kevin Dodd?

Before I get too carried away: There are concerns. I'm not pushing him way up the board because of his breakout season. Still, he dominated most of his matchups this year which is all you can ask of a DL prospect. That Clemson DL was filthy and fun to watch. Difficult to isolate and evaluate individual prospects.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm uneasy on Dodd despite his strong showing against Bama. Not sure what it is, but that's my initial feeling.

I am very intrigued to see Jack and Jaylon in the NFL. Ragland seems like a Rolando McClain guy in my initial viewing. That is meant as a compliment, but that he's mostly a run stuffer who can make some big hits. Not sure he's ever a big play guy, though he could be schemed to make some plays perhaps.

Jack is a unique guy that I see getting more coverage time, but very well could be a David type producer (nice tackles and pass play, but low sacks), while I see Jaylon more Jamie Collins given he seems like he has more length and I can see him being used on more blitzes. I will be trying to get whichever is available at my nearest pick after the other goes come draft time.

ThatDude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ThatDude » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:39 am

I'm stuck trying to figure out what my opinion on Bosa is in terms of dynasty asset. I go back-and-forth between writing off getting him at a sensible spot or going after a LB and just making the move pay up and get him. I can't tell if he's a good player, decent dynasty asset or top 5 DE elite IDP blue-chip.

I really can't figure out any other IDP rookie draft strategy until I sort out how I'm going to use (or not use) assets on Joey Bosa. Part of me thinks he's about to be a superstar and part wonders if he's actually even the best DE for IDP in this draft.

td

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:01 am

I'm looking forward to seeing where Sua Cravens and Jeremy Cash land. Could well end up being designated as safeties but effectively playing LB similar to Barron or Bucannon last year. Depending on the draft well worth a late round pick for me.
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:52 am

Killbrew fits this mold as well.
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 am

yooperbacker wrote:Killbrew fits this mold as well.
Just watched his games vs Sam Houston St on draftbreakdown. *shudder*. Will be steering well clear regardless of where he ends up as an UDFA.
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 am

Wow. That's what I get for taking "experts" like Mcshays word for it. He was awful in that game. He got run over in the open field and showed indecisiveness against the option. Certainly doesn't look like Deone Buchannon to me.
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

Kossack
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kossack » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 am

Manoflaw wrote:In my opinion, if you spend a first it had better be for the next JJ Watt or Keuchely. Usually we will have one guy reach in the late first for a LB. Our scoring is very even, and we start 2 des, DT, 4 LBs, 2 S, and 2 CBs. I don't go in rd 1, but I will spend a decent second on a LB, because those have 10 ppg potential in our scoring. The 2 times someone reached and took a LB ahead of me in the first, it's was Arthur Brown and Ryan Shazier. I took Alec Ogletree and CJ Mosely in the second both years. It's all about value. It would have been tough for me to spend a mid second last year, because of the depth with guys like Johnson, Strong, Duke, Funchess, Jameis etc going in that range. But if there aren't any skill players I think have a realistic shot, then I will go LB, because those guys are typically a lock to give you production.
I too would never spend a first on an IDP. I generally start considering elite DES and DT (In DT required league) in the late second. I had to trade up to grab A. Donald at 3.06 a cpl years back. I think between combine/draft and FA departure that perceived value of offensive players always reach into at least the mid second and if you don't like who's there trade back a few spots to get your guy. This year if I don't like who's there at 2.03 I'll try to send the pick and a productive vet for next year's first to a contender. Barring that maybe next year's second and a undervalued prospect coming my way.
16 team, PPR, 45 man rosters, all TDs 6 pts
start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 dt, 2 de, 3 lb, 2 cb, 2 s, 1 non qb flex

QB - Winston, Sieman, Joshua Dobbs
RB - Martin, M. Gordon, Howard, R. Burkhead, Langford, C. Sims, Kapri Bibbs, W. Gallman
WR - ARob, Jordy, A. Jeffery, E. Sanders, Agholor, B. Ellington, C. Peake, Krishawn Hogan, Ryan Grant
TE - Ebron, Tye, G. Everett
DT - A. Donald, C. Baker
DE - Z. Ansah, D. Buckner, C. Wake, T. Flowers, V. Curry
LB - D. Johnson, K. Mack, C. Kirskey, Kwaitkowski, G. Hodges, Jaylon Smith,
CB - J. Bradbury, A. Bouye, D. Butler,
S - J. Addae, K. Neal, Geathers, Sua Cravens