Beyond 2015: Some Thoughts on The Stud Devy Landscape

Interested in discussing devy leagues? This is the forum.
ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Beyond 2015: Some Thoughts on The Stud Devy Landscape

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I know guys always emerge, etc.

But is it just me, or does it seem like college football is kind of sucked dry of studly talent right now after this 2015 class? There are very few players I'd feel excited about owning in devy leagues who aren't coming out (probably) in 2015.

Literally, right now this is the list of guys across all classes (no particular order) that I'd feel really good about owning (and I know, it's a crap shoot, etc.):

Laquon Treadwell
Nick Chubb
Derrick Henry

Three players, that's it. And even in 1-round devy leagues, at least two of those guys are almost guaranteed to be owned already (Treadwell and Henry).

There are other guys well worth owning who are flashing real talent, and we all know most of the big names. Personally, I really like De'Runnya Wilson. I like Alex Collins. I like some of the freshman RB's and a couple more WR's. But I'm talking about guys I'm really excited to hold for 1-3 more years, guys that I'm confident in that I'd value over your average mid-late 1st round rookie pick because I believe they're a potential future top-3 rookie pick. Guys like, recently, Watkins/Cooper/Gurley/Gordon and even the "busts" of course like Marquise Lee once upon a time.

I know we all have our favorites, etc. I know, again, that guys always emerge.

But it feels like this year more than the past few years, fewer truly valuable devy prospects emerged. Fewer dominant freshman seasons, fewer 5* hype machines taking off.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I've been too focused on the 2014 and 2015 draft classes the last couple years in a 1-round devy league.

But there just aren't a ton of potential stud devy players out there that I'd be excited to draft right now. And that's added on top of the fact that it's already a crap shoot, all the time.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Beyond 2015: Some Thoughts on The Stud Devy Landscape

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Surprised you're not higher on Royce Freeman, he has looked like an absolute beast out there this year. I picked him up near the end of my devy draft back in September and have been getting dizzy watching how good he looks.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:15 pm

It's not that I dislike the freshman RB's, it was pointed out to me by someone that despite what I said above, there were actually 7 freshman RB's to surpass 1,000 yards rushing this year compared to pretty much only Alex Collins last year. But I found I didn't care, it didn't sway me from what I wrote here--I'm not really excited about touching any RB that far out from the NFL who doesn't seem like a physical specimen. And WR overall feels weaker than the last couple of years, but guys will emerge. No slam dunk QB talent really, and the only really hyped TE (Howard) did absolutely nothing this year and could be used as a blocker most of the time.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:It's not that I dislike the freshman RB's, it was pointed out to me by someone that despite what I said above, there were actually 7 freshman RB's to surpass 1,000 yards rushing this year compared to pretty much only Alex Collins last year. But I found I didn't care, it didn't sway me from what I wrote here--I'm not really excited about touching any RB that far out from the NFL who doesn't seem like a physical specimen. And WR overall feels weaker than the last couple of years, but guys will emerge. No slam dunk QB talent really, and the only really hyped TE (Howard) did absolutely nothing this year and could be used as a blocker most of the time.
Not to keep hyping my own players, but I think Deshaun Watson could end up being that slam dunk QB talent personally, if he can get (and stay) healthy. He looked great when he played.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:28 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:It's not that I dislike the freshman RB's, it was pointed out to me by someone that despite what I said above, there were actually 7 freshman RB's to surpass 1,000 yards rushing this year compared to pretty much only Alex Collins last year. But I found I didn't care, it didn't sway me from what I wrote here--I'm not really excited about touching any RB that far out from the NFL who doesn't seem like a physical specimen. And WR overall feels weaker than the last couple of years, but guys will emerge. No slam dunk QB talent really, and the only really hyped TE (Howard) did absolutely nothing this year and could be used as a blocker most of the time.
Not to keep hyping my own players, but I think Deshaun Watson could end up being that slam dunk QB talent personally, if he can get (and stay) healthy. He looked great when he played.
I like Watson, he needs to seriously bulk up though. He's listed at 188 right now and that's a worry. But he looked great this year.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 am

I agree with the overall premise. True top-shelf talent is hard to find. There's no Julio Jones that is going to combine physical freakiness with instant production and excellent character. I also think 2014 & 2015 will prove to be special rookie classes. I do not expect that for a few more years.

I'm big on De'Runnya Wilson/Tyler Boyd/Allen Lazard/Malachi Dupre/Mike Williams at receiver. I think we'll see a few of those guys become special.

I like the depth at RB, though not real enamored with anyone outside of Chubb at this point.

The position I think we'll see the real value emerge out of is TE. Maxx Williams/Bucky Hodges/Evan Engram/O.J. Howard/Hunter Henry/Jordan Leggett. That is a deep group that should replenish a thin TE crop in the NFL.