Anyone Ever Successfully Rebuilt Primarily Through Devy's?

Interested in discussing devy leagues? This is the forum.
ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Anyone Ever Successfully Rebuilt Primarily Through Devy's?

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 am

TLDR version: I have a roster with 11 devy's rostered and I'm wondering if anyone has ever eventually competed with a roster like this.

Longer version:I recently took over an orphan rebuild with lots of draft picks in a league that started last year--there are a couple stacked teams so I decided to keep the picks and use them after trading for a couple building blocks first--I saw an opportunity to hoard talented RB's and corner the market for years to come (hopefully) on young stud RB's coming into the NFL.

The format quirks: Start 2-4 RB, which has influenced my strategy tremendously. Also return TD's. 14-teamer, start 1/2-4/3-5/1-3.

My roster:

QB: Luck
WR: Lockett, Tavon, Desean, Harvin.
TE: Ebron
RB: Hill, Duke
Picks: 1.04
Devys:
*Nick Chubb
*Leonard Fournette
*Dalvin Cook
*Christian McCaffrey
*Saquon Barkley
*Derrius Guice
*Ronald Jones II
*Jalen Hurd
*Samaje Perine
*Elijah Hood
*Bo Scarbrough

So...anyone ever done anything like this? I like my chances at 3-4 stud RB's coming from this group, which in a league that starts 2-4 RB's could give me a big advantage. Along with Luck and some high ceiling WR/TE I think I could be competing sooner rather than later and have a very high floor when these guys hit the NFL.

TheGunSlinger
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Anyone Ever Successfully Rebuilt Primarily Through Devy'

Postby TheGunSlinger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 am

Depending on your league set up, I think it is a good strategy for a rebuild. Since your league is RB dependent, you have made a great choice, in my leagues WRs rule the points, so everyone jumps all over them in the DEVY rounds. Your stockpile is impressive.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:05 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:TLDR version: I have a roster with 11 devy's rostered and I'm wondering if anyone has ever eventually competed with a roster like this.

Longer version:I recently took over an orphan rebuild with lots of draft picks in a league that started last year--there are a couple stacked teams so I decided to keep the picks and use them after trading for a couple building blocks first--I saw an opportunity to hoard talented RB's and corner the market for years to come (hopefully) on young stud RB's coming into the NFL.

The format quirks: Start 2-4 RB, which has influenced my strategy tremendously. Also return TD's. 14-teamer, start 1/2-4/3-5/1-3.

My roster:

QB: Luck
WR: Lockett, Tavon, Desean, Harvin.
TE: Ebron
RB: Hill, Duke
Picks: 1.04
Devys:
*Nick Chubb
*Leonard Fournette
*Dalvin Cook
*Christian McCaffrey
*Saquon Barkley
*Derrius Guice
*Ronald Jones II
*Jalen Hurd
*Samaje Perine
*Elijah Hood
*Bo Scarbrough

So...anyone ever done anything like this? I like my chances at 3-4 stud RB's coming from this group, which in a league that starts 2-4 RB's could give me a big advantage. Along with Luck and some high ceiling WR/TE I think I could be competing sooner rather than later and have a very high floor when these guys hit the NFL.
It will never work!! You should definitely trade one of your top RB devy studs for a top WR devy stud. Maybe someone in your league has cornered the market on devy WRs and you two can swing a deal!! Maybe another owner has your choice of a guy like Corey Davis or Mike Williams.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Depending on the financial ramifications I think I would let this strategy play out a bit. I wouldn't bail yet.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:40 pm

flyersfan1981 wrote:It will never work!! You should definitely trade one of your top RB devy studs for a top WR devy stud. Maybe someone in your league has cornered the market on devy WRs and you two can swing a deal!! Maybe another owner has your choice of a guy like Corey Davis or Mike Williams.
Good advice, I'll have to look into that. :)

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:43 pm

DynoScout wrote:Depending on the financial ramifications I think I would let this strategy play out a bit. I wouldn't bail yet.
Not a contract league so as long as I can roster all these guys (I can) I don't see anything stopping me from seeing it through unless I see a great opportunity to avoid the risk by consolidating...but all the top stud WR's in this league are owned by win-now owners that aren't valuing devy players highly. This is a large part of my strategy, to zig while everyone else zags and take advantage of a "loophole" I see in the league format to compete more quickly than I would have been able to otherwise--by cornering the market on potential stud RB's in a league that can start 2-4 I think I'll have trade leverage and a pretty high-floor line-up once these guys hit the NFL and I see who hits and who busts.

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
DynoScout wrote:Depending on the financial ramifications I think I would let this strategy play out a bit. I wouldn't bail yet.
Not a contract league so as long as I can roster all these guys (I can) I don't see anything stopping me from seeing it through unless I see a great opportunity to avoid the risk by consolidating...but all the top stud WR's in this league are owned by win-now owners that aren't valuing devy players highly. This is a large part of my strategy, to zig while everyone else zags and take advantage of a "loophole" I see in the league format to compete more quickly than I would have been able to otherwise--by cornering the market on potential stud RB's in a league that can start 2-4 I think I'll have trade leverage and a pretty high-floor line-up once these guys hit the NFL and I see who hits and who busts.

I think by financial ramifications he means the yearly buy-in. If it's a $100 or $200 league are you willing to wait 3-5 years to really compete. Are you ready to lose a $1000 before finally having a chance to compete? Imagine you have this incredible team ready to compete soon but then the league folds. You just wasted hundreds of dollars and hours of your time with nothing to show for it. Are you ok with that?

wildabeast49
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wildabeast49 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Im joining you in a similar venture. Super flex where my only real assets are Cousins, Watkins, J Gordon and agholor. we have a setup where you can only draft one dev per team and only starting in the second round. I loaded up on guys like Karlos, rawls etc this last draft and sold them all mid year. I now have Clemson M Williams, Corey Davis, Fournette and 6 teams' dev rights and 7 second round picks ( including the 2.1, 2.2 where guys like cook, juju, duper, mccafrey, watson, sutton are all unowned). I will say this though, it does make trading more difficult as you really don't have a lot to capitalize on with any teams trying to win it now.
10 team, .5 ppr dynasty
QB: Brady, Wilson
RB: Fournette, cook, mixon, Ajayi, Gordon, Ware, Joe Williams, Hunt, Martin
WR: Evans, TY, Dez, Sammy, Coleman, Diggs, Ross, White, Fitz
TE: Watson, Eifert, Bennet

PPR 12 team superflex, limited devy (1 per year) heavy return yardage
Cousins, Rivers, Kizer
Fournette, Zeke, Mixon, mcCaffrey, Joe Williams, Mcnichols, Mack, Martin
Cooper, Evans, Watkins, Coleman, Diggs, Martavis, Chad Williams, Parker
Henry, Rudolph, Hodges

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 pm

It will be interesting to watch it play out as long as you stick with it. You definitely have the who's who of running back prospects that will enter the draft in the next year or two.

The major flaw as I see it, though, is that the starting requirements for the league aren't quirky and don't call for a hoard of RB's. It's a PPR with 3-5 WR's set to be started as I understand it. I guess I don't understand why this influenced you to go RB over WR, but anyway.. I have a feeling that the lack of WR's is going to play a large role down the road, but because you have so many high-level prospects, I don't see why you couldn't fix that when the time comes.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 pm

TomBobAnderson wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:

I think by financial ramifications he means the yearly buy-in. If it's a $100 or $200 league are you willing to wait 3-5 years to really compete. Are you ready to lose a $1000 before finally having a chance to compete? Imagine you have this incredible team ready to compete soon but then the league folds. You just wasted hundreds of dollars and hours of your time with nothing to show for it. Are you ok with that?
Yeah I see what you're saying now. Its only a $40 buy-in, and half was paid by the previous owner as a deposit before I took over the orphan. So I'm more interested in how it plays out than anything else, its a worthwhile experiment for a low-stakes league imo. If we played this hobby to make money we'd all be extremely broke for the most part.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:12 pm

akbfrosty wrote:It will be interesting to watch it play out as long as you stick with it. You definitely have the who's who of running back prospects that will enter the draft in the next year or two.

The major flaw as I see it, though, is that the starting requirements for the league aren't quirky and don't call for a hoard of RB's. It's a PPR with 3-5 WR's set to be started as I understand it. I guess I don't understand why this influenced you to go RB over WR, but anyway.. I have a feeling that the lack of WR's is going to play a large role down the road, but because you have so many high-level prospects, I don't see why you couldn't fix that when the time comes.
Well, the start 2-4 RB's is the thing that made me want to hoard all these RB's. Maybe its more common than I've seen but all my other leagues, you can only start a max of 3 RB's. So yes I'll still need to start 3 WR's along with those 4 RB's but if I can manage to have 4 or more young RB1's starting every week that gives me a very high floor (along with Luck) and I can buy less sexy vet WR's later.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:22 am

To clarify I was talking about the buy-in, and at the stakes mentioned I would let this play out a while.
I would try to trade DeSean, Hill and/or Duke for WR talent for my roster to grow with, but that's about it.

Who's in the pool for your 1.04 pick?

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 am

DynoScout wrote:To clarify I was talking about the buy-in, and at the stakes mentioned I would let this play out a while.
I would try to trade DeSean, Hill and/or Duke for WR talent for my roster to grow with, but that's about it.

Who's in the pool for your 1.04 pick?
Top 4 BPAs are pretty good since there is only 1 devy round and it can be for any draft year:

Doctson, Coleman, Mike Thomas, Shepard, Carroo, Fuller, Dixon are all available so he could get a good WR. I still think his best play is to swap a top devy RB to the owner who has several top devy WRs, haha.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

wildabeast49
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wildabeast49 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:52 pm

an update in my limited devy superflex, as we near draft time the market for devy rights has picked up in a big way. i moved next years likely 1.1 agholor and this years 2.1 with devy rights (almost assuredly Juju) for Cooper. I also used a swap in second rounders (moving down 2 devy picks basically) Gordon and Cousins for Luck. I still own 6 devy rights to add to the team (2 in sig).

The top estimate devy players available in my estimation: Juju, Cook, Dupre, Sutton, Guice, Barkley, Mccaffrey, Watson, Kayya ,Rosen (super flex) etc
10 team, .5 ppr dynasty

Cousins, Rivers, Kizer
Henry, Rudolph, Hodges

wildabeast49
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wildabeast49 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am

Update, We drafted and Ive made some moves.
Devy went off the board in this order: Juju, Watson (super flex), Barkley, Cook (me), Dupre, Sutton (me), Rosen (me), Guice (me), Mccaffrey (me), Ridley (me), Kaaya, Roc Thomas

So my devy focused rebuild now looks like
Luck, Teddy, Rosen*, Hundley
Buck, Zenner, ERvin, Ridley, Fournette*, Cook*, Mccaffrey*, Guice*, Barkley*
Cooper, Perriman, C COleman, DGB, Coates, Janis, Mitchell, B Coleman, T Hill, M WIlliams*, Ridley
Heuerman, Higbee, Mcdonald, Pruitt
10 team, .5 ppr dynasty

Cousins, Rivers, Kizer
Henry, Rudolph, Hodges