16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -3 spots left

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
Miah35
Captain
Captain

16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -3 spots left

Postby Miah35 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:03 am

I need some guys to help me execute a mock draft for the league outlined below. If you are interested email me at jeremiah.stewart35@gmail.com and let me know what Owner type you want to be. I will post on here what types are remaining

Owner Types Remaining:

1 - Win now, 0 - Scouting Master, 1- Old School, 1- QB Guru

I would like to do a couple mocks before I start recruiting for this league. That way I can balance out the advantages.

This league will have 4 different Ownership Options that will give certain advantages and handicaps based on which type of Owner you are. There will be 4 teams for each type and when you join you get to decide which owner you get to be if it is available.

Owner Types:

Win Now - Age is nothing but a number. You want points and money.

Advantages:

-After the 4th rd of the startup draft. These 4 owners will take part in a single rd draft *(Owner Draft see below) that includes a pool of all available QB's 32 and older, RB's 28 and older, WR's 28 and Older and TE's 26 and Older.
-During the season, you start with .5 pts for every Old player you start. Old Players = QB's>30, RB's>28, WR's>30, TE's>29. (With 8 starters this could be up to 4 pts)
-1 Extra Active Roster Bench Spot

Disadvantage:

-No Taxi Squad
-At least 6 players on your roster have to be "Old".

Scout Master - You have an eye for talent and love to develop young guys.

Advantages:

-Each owner gets a pipeline. pipeline = guaranteed rookies drafted in rds 4-7 from one division. Example - Team A has the NFC North. Any QB,RB,WR,TE drafted by an NFC North team drafted in the 4th rd or after automatically goes to your taxi squad and is removed from the rookie draft.
-2 extra Taxi Squad spots during the season and 2 extra offseason taxi spots for rookies
-During the season you get .5 pts for every rookie started.

Disadvantages:

-Cannot have more than 6 players on your roster that are "Old"
-Taxi Squad players cannot be promoted to your active roster during the season.

Old School - You love RB's and think they are the most important part of a Fantasy team.

Advantages:

-After the 4th rd of the startup draft these 4 owners get to have a single rd*(Owner Draft see below) draft of all available RB's.
-1 extra taxi squad spot for RB's
-During the season RB's get bonus pts for 100 yd rushing games. (2pts for each RB that gets at least 100 yds rushing) So the most bonus they can get is up to 6 pts.

Disadvantages:

-One of your 1st two startup picks has to be an RB.
-during the season You get -1 pts if you start a non-RB in your flex

QB Guru - You love QB's and know how to use them.

Advantages:

-Prior to the start-up draft these 4 owners will do a single rd draft that includes all QB's age 24 and under
-1 extra taxi squad spot for QB
-During the season you get 5 pts per passing TD instead of 4.

Disadvantages:

-Each interception is -2.5 pts
-Must draft a QB in the first 4 rds of the start-up draft. (This doesn't include the QB you pick before the startup)

Mid startup Owner Draft-

This would be a single rd draft after the 4th rd that the Win-Now and Old-School Owners would take part in. This draft would include a pool of all available players and each owner has to draft based on their specifications. The order of this draft will be determined at random. Example: an Old school player gets the 4th pick in this draft. the 1st 3 picks were by Win-now teams and he has his pick of the best RB of any age available.

Scoring would be standard PPR

Rosters would be 7 starters - QB/2RB/2WR/TE/Flex
13 bench (unless you have an owner advantage)
2 Taxi Squad Spots (unless you have an advantage)(can only activate Taxi squad players if you have a player on IR)
1 Injured Reserve spot (Long Term Injury Only)
Last edited by Miah35 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 am, edited 8 times in total.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers (13 spots

Postby jeffster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:25 am

Love this idea. A few initial thoughts regarding balance:

QB Guru:
Having a prelim round and a requirement of drafting someone in the first four regular rounds means there will be minimum 8 QBs off the board by the end of round four. If we go by Dec ADP data, that would be Luck, Rodgers, Newton, Stafford, Wilson, Brees, Manning, Ryan. That's a very top-heavy QB draft, and I'm not sure what sort of implications that would have. Also in a start 1QB league, the QB Guru has to invest a ton early in a position that it's a common strategy not to pick anyone in until like, round 5+. I'm not sure the benefits offset this.

Win Now:
The problem I see here is that this is actually a great strategy for, you know, winning. Dynasty people tend to over-value youth, and this actually forces you to behave the way most of us probably should more often, and gives you a point advantage for it to boot.

Scout Master:
Nothing unbalancing jumps out at me, but it does limit your ability to let talent develop if you get a penalty for them the older they get.

Old School:
Nothing unbalancing jumps out at me.

So, one alternative way to do it comes to mind. It ended up a bit more of a comprehensive idea than I initially intended, but may as well throw it out there. This standardizes it a little, which maybe takes some of the flavor away but makes it about a million times easier to balance. So, make starting lineups one each of QB\WR\RB\TE with, say, four WR\RB\TE flex spots.

First: Everyone picks a "head coach" style. The four styles are:

Talent Developer: Your skill at developing youth pays off. You get +2 for each rookie started and +1 for each sophomore started.

Veteran Manager: You are skilled at managing experienced talent. You get +1 for QBs 30 or older, RBs 26 or older, WRs 28 or older and TEs 28 or older. You get +2 for QBs 32 or older, RBs 28 or older, WRs 30 or older and TEs 30 or older.

Lineup manager: You are a master at making substitutions on the fly. In each game your worst-performing skill position player (lowest scoring of QB, WR, RB, TE) is automatically pulled and replaced with the best performing guy of the same position from your bench. Their scores are then averaged. For example, if you have an RB in your flex who scores 2 points, and another RB on your bench who scores 20, you get (20+2)/2=11 points. So even though it's a flex you couldn't substitute in a WR from your bench.

One more?: Haven't thought of a fourth one.

Second: Have everyone pick an "offensive coordinator" style that emphasizes either QB, WR, RB or TE. Whatever your OC focuses in is what you have to draft in round 1 (no supplemental drafts required this way). My suggestion would be to make it more like 3 QB-focused OCs, 3 TE, 6 WR and 4 RB, because there really aren't as many QBs or TEs worth taking in round one, and this more accurately represents the league anyway. Each OC style gives you an in-season bonus, an in-season penalty, and a rookie draft bonus. For example:

QB-style: Bonus: 6 point instead of 4 point passing TDs and +3 bonus for 300 yards passing. Penalty: -2 instead of -1 penalty for interceptions.
WR-style: Bonus: +2 for each WR started in a flex spot and +3 bonus for 150 yards receiving. Penalty: -1 for each TE started (including the mandatory one).
TE-style: Bonus: +2 for each TE started in a flex spot, +3 bonus for 80 yards receiving, and 1.25 instead of 1 point PPR for TEs. Penalty: -1 for each RB started (including the mandatory one).
RB-style: Bonus: +2 for each RB started in a flex spot, +3 bonus for 100 yards rushing, and 1.25 instead of 1 point PPR for RBs. Penalty: -1 for each WR started (including the mandatory one).

Then for the rookie draft bonus, it could be as simple as everyone gets 1 extra taxi squad spot for their focused position.

And finally there could be a defensive coordinator too, though I personally am not a fan of IDP. Maybe it affects scoring of your team defense. I think it would be fine to leave out though. It could also be possible to trade HCs and OCs with each other. Also this would make for a lot of work for the commish (game master?!) each week to customize everyone's scoring, but I suppose this idea will generally do that. Some of it might be able to be offloaded to the teams each week... maybe each side needs to report the adjusted score for themselves and their opponent, and as long as the numbers agree the commish doesn't need to redo it.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:46 pm

@ jeffster: not sure I follow you wrt the QB Guru. the way I read it the prelim draft requires drafting a QB younger than 24, so none of those top 8 would go in the prelim.

@Miah35: email sent.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Miah35
Captain
Captain

Postby Miah35 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:56 am

Goirish374 wrote:@ jeffster: not sure I follow you wrt the QB Guru. the way I read it the prelim draft requires drafting a QB younger than 24, so none of those top 8 would go in the prelim.
Irish is correct. The 4 QB's that would be selected prior to the draft would be young QB's. So the best of the bunch would be Teddy Bridgewater or maybe RG3 if you still have faith. That would leave the top 10 ADP QB's on the board for the startup. The requirement for the QB guru to draft a QB means that only 4 of the top 10 QB's will be off the board by the 4th rd. It also makes how you draft very interesting.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -8 spots l

Postby jeffster » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am

Oh yeah, missed the age part. Hopefully we get a mock going on this soon, it will be interesting to see how it comes together.

Miah35
Captain
Captain

Postby Miah35 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 am

jeffster wrote:Oh yeah, missed the age part. Hopefully we get a mock going on this soon, it will be interesting to see how it comes together.
We are half full right now. Just need 8 more guys.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 am

I'm pretty excited to see the interplay between the Old School and Win Now types in the Owner Draft.
there could be real competition for he same RBs, while potentially sliding the value of the other 8 owners' 5th round picks down half a round.
should be interesting to see!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

ivenovember
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -7 spots l

Postby ivenovember » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Just sent an email.
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty:
QB: Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, Sam Bradford
RB: Jamaal Charles, Knile Davis, Ryan Mathews, Jeremy Hill, Christine Michael, Joseph Randle, Devonta Freeman
WR: AJ Green, TY Hilton, Josh Gordon, Odell Beckham, Justin Blackmon, Jordan Matthews, Cordarrelle Patterson, Brian Quick, Michael Floyd
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Ladarius Green, Richard Rodgers
K:
D/ST: Rams, Bengals

vbbish
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: 16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -7 spots l

Postby vbbish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 pm

email sent
12th Year Full Dynasty PPR (1 pt. per Rec.) 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1TE/RB/WR 12 team league **Champ 20, 21 & 22 **
QB: J. Burrow, M. Jones, B. Zappe
RB: Breece Hall, J. Gibbs, D. Cook, AJ Dillon, D. Pierce
WR: Godwin, Diggs, Jeudy, R. Moore, K. Shakir, T. Burks, Z. Flowers, S. Moore, J. Reed, J. Metchie, J. Downs
TE: Andrews, J. Johnson, T. Kraft

2024 1.01, 1.02, 1.11, 3.10

1st Year Superflex PPR (.5 per Rec) 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2WR/RB/TE, 1SF

QB: Herbie, T. Law, B. Young, J. Winston, K. Pickett, M. Willis
RB: D. Singletary, E. Gray, E. Wilson, M. Carter, I. Spiller, R. Blackshear, I. Abanikanda, T. Bigsby
WR: D. London, G. Wilson, KJ Osborn, M. Wilson, D. Davis, J. Watson, J. Williams, T, Scott, Q, Johnson, P. Washingon
TE: C. Otton, D. Kincaid, T. Conklin, N. Fant, J, Whyle, M. Mayer

2024 1.05, 2.02, 2.10, 3.02, 3.04

drive45
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 16 team Conceptual Mock. Need some volunteers -5 spots l

Postby drive45 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:24 am

Email sent.
Team 1
10 Team .5 PPR, 4 Point Passing TD (30 active, 3 IR) Year 5
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex (RB, WR, TE), 1 TE, D/ST, K
QB: Brees, Mariota, Newton
RB: Gurley, Bell, McCoy, Lamar Miller, Barber, Riddick, Yeldon, Jonathan Stewart, Jonathan Williams, De'Angelo Henderson
WR: Beckham, Evans, AJG, Diggs, JuJu, Corey Davis, Golden Tate, Agholor, Treadwell, Chester Rogers, Decker, Cordarrelle Patterson
TE: Kelce, Seferian-Jenkins, McDonald, Butt
D/ST: Jacksonville
K: None

Team 2
14 Team Superflex 1.0 PPR (1.5 for TE), 6 Point Passing TD, -4 Point INT (25 active)
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 SuperFlex (QB, RB, WR, TE), 1 Flex (RB, WR, TE), 1 TE

QB: Winston, Tannehill, Flacco, Fitzpatrick, Chad Kelly, Kyle Lauletta
RB: Mixon, Chubb, Barber, Giovani Bernard, Jordan Wilkins, Ivory, Bo Scarbrough, Jonathan Williams
WR: Keenan Allen, Diggs, Sterling Shepard, Doctson, Tyrell Williams, Paul Richardson, Moncrief, Noah Brown
TE: Hooper, McDonald, Vernon Davis