Top Pick

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.

Who's your top pick

Gurley
38%
Gordon
40%
Parker
6%
Cooper
16%

Total votes: 105

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Top Pick

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:51 am

Doggie wrote:The big question for me on Gordon is can he catch and pass protect? He just may not have been given many chances at Wisconsin. From what I recall he didn't run 25 times a game or more. If he can catch and learn to pass protect well, he (Gordon) could easily be the next Jamaal Charles-like RB in the league.

If he doesn't then he could end up the 1st/2nd down back in a tandem.

Gurley on the other hand has the frame, size and skill set to be a 3 down back, but does he have the durability? If this is the only serious injury he's had other than a high-anke sprain then I am not all that concerned. There are a number of backs in the league who had ACL injuries before the NFL. Some have done well, some have not.

I think it's a mistake to draw comparisons between Gurley and Lattimore, because Latty's injury was so much more severe (3 out of 4 ligaments torn -vs- ACL only).

In all honesty, their landing spot will have a lot to do with which of the two I rank #1 and #2 as it's very close for me. As potentially, one could end up on the Jags and the other on the Cowboys/Lions (for example).
Actually, Gordon ran the ball 25 times or more 9 times in 14 games. Gurley has only carried the ball more than 125 times in a season once in 3 years, so durability is a concern for sure. As for Gurley's 3 down ability? There is no doubt there. He is a 3 down back.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 am

So in your assessment of Gordon, do you feel he can pass-protect (on an NFL level) ? Catching the ball isn't as much a concern as pass-protection for me when trying to determine whether or not Gordon will (or could) be used as a 3 down back.

You also mention Gurley not carrying the ball more than 125 times a year... do you view that as bad or good? I think that screams low milage (which is good) but that's me. Also, can you (FF) or anyone else confirm whether Gurley had more than the high-ankle (2013) and ACL injuries (2014)?

Look forward to hearing more on these questions.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Doggie wrote:So in your assessment of Gordon, do you feel he can pass-protect (on an NFL level) ? Catching the ball isn't as much a concern as pass-protection for me when trying to determine whether or not Gordon will (or could) be used as a 3 down back.

You also mention Gurley not carrying the ball more than 125 times a year... do you view that as bad or good? I think that screams low milage (which is good) but that's me. Also, can you (FF) or anyone else confirm whether Gurley had more than the high-ankle (2013) and ACL injuries (2014)?

Look forward to hearing more on these questions.
It think Gordon can pass protect at the NFL level, eventually. He got better at it from year 2 to year 3 in college, and all of his coaches I've heard speak about him say he is dedicated to making himself better. Gordon himself knows he has to work on these things, and with time, I believe I see enough to say, yes he will, but maybe not right away. He engages in contact, which is most important. He is a "willing" blocker, and that can be coached. Sometimes he drops his head a little early when trying to engage, which keeps allows the player to slip past him.

As for Gurley no, I don't thin it's a good thing that he hasn't carried the ball more than 125 times in a year only once. He has shown little ability to carry the load because of this. With his running style, is he going to last with NFL players hitting him constantly? That is my concern. If he gets hurt every year in the NFL, by year 5, compared to someone who hasn't missed a game, his mileage will be lower, right? Is that a good thing? The fact that he has missed significant time in 2 straight years with such "low milage" doesn't fill me with confidence over his durability either.

Both guys are phenomenal, I have to say, I am less concerned about Gordon's ability to pass protect than I am about Gurley's durability concerns. I love to watch both of them play, such different styles. Hopefully they both can shore up these issues, and each have great careers. I wish I had the 1.01 and 1.02 so I could draft them both.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick