Mock Draft 3.0 - Discussion

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:18 am

hosler427 wrote:bigcsr67 - I don't think it is a big no brainer that the Chargers will take a 1st round RB. I actually think a nose tackle like Mount Cody will slide into the end of the first round and the Chargers have a huge need there. It is harder to find a nose tackle than an RB. Mathews is a solid pick though...just wouldn't call it a no brainer
I agree. If they do take an RB here, I wouldn't be too confident that its Mathews either.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:45 am

hosler427 wrote:bigcsr67 - I don't think it is a big no brainer that the Chargers will take a 1st round RB. I actually think a nose tackle like Mount Cody will slide into the end of the first round and the Chargers have a huge need there. It is harder to find a nose tackle than an RB. Mathews is a solid pick though...just wouldn't call it a no brainer
For me it was a no brainer, and with the addition of Seattles early second round pick I figured I would have a better chance of aquiring a quality defensive player there seeing how the depth at almost all defensive possitions is there in this years draft class. If Lynch does indeed go to the Chargers that would change my approach, but I am high on Mathews, and think he is an ideal fit for the Bolts at this point in time.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Jahvid Best at #33 to the Rams.... comments?!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Just stopping by to thank Dan for covering for me. I've been out of town for almost a week but I'll be able to keep an eye on the draft... once I get caught up. :lol:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:35 pm

BradyT wrote:Jahvid Best at #33 to the Rams.... comments?!
If you want my honest opinion Brady, I think it would be awful pick for the Rams. Their defense needs some serious work and if any offensive position should be addressed now that they have Bradford, it would be WR. There is still a need at DT and Lamarr Houston and Tyson Alualu are climbing up draft boards and would be great picks for a Spanuolo defense. Also Kareem Jackson and Perrish Cox are there at CB...and maybe someone like Nate Allen at S. I just think there are too many good options available to address a position that isn't even close to a need. Now if they traded SJax it would be a different story.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm

hosler427 wrote:
If you want my honest opinion Brady, I think it would be awful pick for the Rams. Their defense needs some serious work and if any offensive position should be addressed now that they have Bradford, it would be WR. There is still a need at DT and Lamarr Houston and Tyson Alualu are climbing up draft boards and would be great picks for a Spanuolo defense. Also Kareem Jackson and Perrish Cox are there at CB...and maybe someone like Nate Allen at S. I just think there are too many good options available to address a position that isn't even close to a need. Now if they traded SJax it would be a different story.
Agreed, plus Best already has his own injury history and concussions are scary, I don't have a problem with STL adding a RB at some point in this draft, just not this high.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Shawn wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
Agreed, plus Best already has his own injury history and concussions are scary, I don't have a problem with STL adding a RB at some point in this draft, just not this high.
I love Brady's pick at 33, because it removes the temptation for the Lions at 34! Great pick there Bubba, I'd be ecstatic if McCourty was still on the board. sure as hell beats having Pacman at CB/KR next year!

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Shawn wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
X3 on the Best pick. It would shock me if the Rams went offense in rd 2 should they take Bradford @ 1, which I believe will happen. WR/TE needs to be addressed before the RB position. Weapons for a new QB is a good thing but I doubt the Rams make the same mistake that Detroit did last year @ 1.20 by adding another weapon before filling the bigger holes.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Cody comes off the board @ 39 right before the Bolts who then pick Kareem Jackson (a righteous choice given SD's needs). Had this been a 3 round mock who would you target in the 3rd? They badly need a NT after parting company with Jamal Williams.

This is why I think Mount Cody will be the Bolts pick @ 28 (unless Dan Williams falls). A solid RB can be nabbed in Rds 2 or 3. Mathews is the near perfect fit to replace LT but Cody gives them something they desperately need to measure up defensively. Winning the division won't be too hard, winning the conference not quite as easy if they don't fix the DL.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm

rkrazy wrote:Cody comes off the board @ 39 right before the Bolts who then pick Kareem Jackson (a righteous choice given SD's needs). Had this been a 3 round mock who would you target in the 3rd? They badly need a NT after parting company with Jamal Williams.

This is why I think Mount Cody will be the Bolts pick @ 28 (unless Dan Williams falls). A solid RB can be nabbed in Rds 2 or 3. Mathews is the near perfect fit to replace LT but Cody gives them something they desperately need to measure up defensively. Winning the division won't be too hard, winning the conference not quite as easy if they don't fix the DL.
I dont think the Chargers need to move up in the draft to acquire a quality NT like fat man Cody, or even an outstanding RB like R.Mathews. They did move up in the draft for some reason but who are they targetting? I think they are hoping to package the picks in a deal to move up in round 1, but it's not likely to happen. If they pass on Cody in round 1, and miss him in round 2 they might look at Cam Thomas from NC. Round 1 is sure to be Mathews imo, and if they miss on Mathews, it's probably trade out for whatever they can get.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:27 pm

rkrazy wrote:Cody comes off the board @ 39 right before the Bolts who then pick Kareem Jackson (a righteous choice given SD's needs). Had this been a 3 round mock who would you target in the 3rd? They badly need a NT after parting company with Jamal Williams.

There are still some servicable DTs in the draft, and even if Cody was still available, I would pass on the human bag of GOO. I dont think he has what it takes to get down to 330 lbs, where he needs to be if he realy was dedicated to the game. Cody has heart attack written all over his fat bleep, therefore I pass. Kareem Jackson is very talented, and filled an equaly important void for the team.

I think a Lynch trade will eventualy change the whole landscape of the Chargers draft anyways, so if they do make that trade they can go DT, then CB in rnd 2, but RB is a big need as well. It will be realy interesting to see what pans out for SD.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Hughes

Postby Scorp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:34 pm

With the 41st pick, the Buffalo Bills select: Jerry Hughes, TCU, OLB

With the Bills' second pick, they decide to grab Jerry Hughes. The Bills are aware that a dominant NT is a huge need to make the conversion to the 3-4 defense work, but they also know that perhaps the second most important thing that a good 3-4 defense needs is quality LB's. And LB depth has been an issue. Schobel might return ( I think he will ) and Maybin is probably better suited for a 3-4, but Hughes gives them another option if Schobel retires this year or next. I don't know if it makes sense to have two pass rushers playing OLB in a 3-4, but I like it. Hughes is nasty behind the line of scrimmage. And he's athletic enough to cover RBs in the flats. Perhaps this is my own dream of the Bills putting together one of the most feared defenses in football... but can you blame me?

Other considerations: Cam Thomas, or a different LB or WR
I like the thinking, and most NFL scouts would do well to track such considerations down.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Hughes

Postby Phish Brigade » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Vintage wrote:
With the 41st pick, the Buffalo Bills select: Jerry Hughes, TCU, OLB

With the Bills' second pick, they decide to grab Jerry Hughes. The Bills are aware that a dominant NT is a huge need to make the conversion to the 3-4 defense work, but they also know that perhaps the second most important thing that a good 3-4 defense needs is quality LB's. And LB depth has been an issue. Schobel might return ( I think he will ) and Maybin is probably better suited for a 3-4, but Hughes gives them another option if Schobel retires this year or next. I don't know if it makes sense to have two pass rushers playing OLB in a 3-4, but I like it. Hughes is nasty behind the line of scrimmage. And he's athletic enough to cover RBs in the flats. Perhaps this is my own dream of the Bills putting together one of the most feared defenses in football... but can you blame me?

Other considerations: Cam Thomas, or a different LB or WR
I like the thinking, and most NFL scouts would do well to track such considerations down.
Part of me really felt that Cam Thomas would make more sense at this pick, but I went in this direction for two reasons:

1 - Cam Thomas was the Bills 2nd round pick in the last mock draft. Steve did a great job last time for the Bills.

2 - Jerry Hughes is a fringe 1st round prospect. The value was there. He filled a need. And he's a good character guy with a strong work ethic. A prototypical blue collar worker, and if you're gonna be successful in Buffalo for a long period of time... that's a very important.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:There are still some servicable DTs in the draft, and even if Cody was still available, I would pass on the human bag of GOO. I dont think he has what it takes to get down to 330 lbs, where he needs to be if he realy was dedicated to the game. Cody has heart attack written all over his fat bleep, therefore I pass. Kareem Jackson is very talented, and filled an equaly important void for the team.

I think a Lynch trade will eventualy change the whole landscape of the Chargers draft anyways, so if they do make that trade they can go DT, then CB in rnd 2, but RB is a big need as well. It will be realy interesting to see what pans out for SD.
Feeling the love for Fat Man! Your post made me LOL

I wasn't criticizing the pick. Just curious as to who you would target for NT in round 3 if we went that far. Knowing the Bolts need a NT in this draft. Cam Thomas and Linval Joseph stand out as the most likely NT that the Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, or Dolphins could take in rd 2-3.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 am

rkrazy wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote:There are still some servicable DTs in the draft, and even if Cody was still available, I would pass on the human bag of GOO. I dont think he has what it takes to get down to 330 lbs, where he needs to be if he realy was dedicated to the game. Cody has heart attack written all over his fat bleep, therefore I pass. Kareem Jackson is very talented, and filled an equaly important void for the team.

Feeling the love for Fat Man! Your post made me LOL

I wasn't criticizing the pick. Just curious as to who you would target for NT in round 3 if we went that far. Knowing the Bolts need a NT in this draft. Cam Thomas and Linval Joseph stand out as the most likely NT that the Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, or Dolphins could take in rd 2-3.
That is exactly the direction I was heading, good call. I don't know how he will last in our mock now that we mention him, but there are still, and there will still be servicable 3-4 NTs in the 3-5 range IMO.