Mock Draft 2.0 Sign-up and Discussion

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 pm

hosler427 wrote:
rkrazy wrote:Love the Benn pick Steve.

Tebow's pick is interesting at the top of the round. Normally I would say too high, but skip makes a very good argument for the Rams. Although we could say McCoy has those intagibles and similar success level at UT. Did you consider McCoy skip?
If he was there I would have taken Benn for the Chiefs.
I would have considered him at 40. Definitely would've selected him with the Panthers pick @ 48. Being realistic though I didn't think he had a chance to fall that far.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Shawn wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:
Shawn wrote:
In this mock as the Cards, we were very surprised Mays was still available and we took him as easily our best player available, plus Mays could end up as a linebacker anyway, point being that they'll have no problem finding a spot for him somewhere as an impact player on their defense. QB is also a need, but at this point we'd be reaching on a QB and other defensive positions are being addressed through Free Agency and later in this draft. The Cards will probably need to take a year to rebuild the team a bit before making it back to the playoffs, mainly due to losing Warner and not having an quality NFL Qb on the roster.
I suppose we should wait to see if there is a cba in a few weeks. If not then free agency is going to be awful. Basically no good players would be free because they could be tagged or a RFA. Maybe the cards take mays and let him get vitimized in coverage for a year or 2, but they need to upgrade their front 7 on D first IMO. Hell, they gave up 90 pts in their last 2 games. Like I mentioned before, Berry retired and dansby could be gone. You never know, but I venture to say they opt for olb or lb with their first pick.
The thinking here for the Cards is that Mays could end up as a linebacker anyway, so this could fill one of the needs listed. Its not uncommon for College safeties to make the transition to Linebacker, I think Mays definitely has the skills to do it. Some of the other Defensive prospects in the draft here would've been a bit of a reach for the Cards at the end of round 1 and more like round 2 material.
You are spot on. Mays' position could even be determined prior to the draft. Many of us Pac-10 fans here in the Pacific Northwest have seen enough of Mays to believe he will be a LB in the NFL. His size, stature, and hips are not that of a player who can succeed in coverage at the NFL level according to some. The Combine could tell us more about that. But, based on what I've learned so far, LB is where he'll end up and therefore could replace Dansby or another LB spot for the Cards.

Cody in the 2nd would be a steal for the Chiefs to land a true NT. I can't see the Jets passing on Williams or Cody since their normal NT is over 30 in Jenkins and was hurt much of last season.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Tebow's pick is interesting at the top of the round. Normally I would say too high, but skip makes a very good argument for the Rams. Although we could say McCoy has those intagibles and similar success level at UT. Did you consider McCoy skip?
Actually, I didn't consider McCoy. I don't have him rated that high. He showed flashes in college but pretty average at times. I think Tebow should legitimately be the 3rd QB drafted from this class and the Rams are a good fit based on their needs. There is also an aspect here that Shawn brought up in the first mock. As I said, Tebow is going to be one of the most critiqued QBs coming into the NFL. He will bring a ton of attention to a team set in a city where baseball is still king. What Michael Vick was for the Falcons franchise (minus the dog fighting), Tebow could be for the Rams.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Benn just has too much talent for Tampa to pass up if he's there at that point of the draft. They need some help at OL, WR and HB regardless...

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 pm

For the record I'm not a Mathews homer! Just felt the need was there for Seattle and didn't like McKnight for this high of a pick (even though Carroll recruited and coached him). Had Spiller been on the board @ 14 I would have gone that direction. I think McCoy, Bulaga and Mathews is a great start. Seattle needs to address their RB weakness in this draft.

Interesting side note - what if Carroll does pass over McKnight for another RB...will it hurt McKnight's draft value?

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 pm

rkrazy wrote:For the record I'm not a Mathews homer! Just felt the need was there for Seattle and didn't like McKnight for this high of a pick (even though Carroll recruited and coached him). Had Spiller been on the board @ 14 I would have gone that direction. I think McCoy, Bulaga and Mathews is a great start. Seattle needs to address their RB weakness in this draft.

Interesting side note - what if Carroll does pass over McKnight for another RB...will it hurt McKnight's draft value?

I really like the McCoy and Bulaga picks, as both are great values where they were drafted, the only thing I wonder about with the Matthews pick is if the Seahawks might wait until a later round in the draft to draft a RB, as Jeremy Bates raves about how quality RBs are found in later rounds in the draft as they used to do when Bates was with the Broncos, it'll be an interesting debate to see if they want to add a franchise RB like Matthews or add a complimentary back to Forsett, like perhaps a Lendale White type back. Really nice draft here for Seattle though!
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

I agree that these are really good picks. I have a gut feeling that they will address RB in free agency and maybe a 4th round pick. I think there are a couple RB's that are and will continue to get overlooked.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

skip wrote:

Actually, I didn't consider McCoy. I don't have him rated that high. He showed flashes in college but pretty average at times. I think Tebow should legitimately be the 3rd QB drafted from this class and the Rams are a good fit based on their needs. There is also an aspect here that Shawn brought up in the first mock. As I said, Tebow is going to be one of the most critiqued QBs coming into the NFL. He will bring a ton of attention to a team set in a city where baseball is still king. What Michael Vick was for the Falcons franchise (minus the dog fighting), Tebow could be for the Rams.
I don't know Skip. The Rams should be thinking defense at this point. Tebow may be available top of the 3rd unless Jax trades into the 2nd. What other teams have Tebow on radar this high? After the top 2 QBs there is a big drop off of "NFL ready" QBs. This year has more QB depth than the last 2 years but lacks a Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez or Stafford that can be a productive starter from day 1. I see more questions than answers today. Defensive talent is deep though. Take the talent while it's on the board and wait on QB is a better approach IMO. The Rams can't afford a potential QB bust.

I'm not bashing Tebow. Simply trying to debate the topic so we (or maybe just me) learn more about him. Tebow is the big wildcard in this draft.
Last edited by rkrazy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I'll say this much.. the more we do this the more I love the level of talent available.

I think the LenDale White scenario makes a lot of sense for Seattle. If they sign him they won't pick Mathews @ 40. Maybe someone like Griffin (if he falls), Hardy, Wooten, or Carrington to bolster the DL, Kerney isn't getting any younger. Or DB to eventually replace Trufant. After Clausen and Bradford none of the QBs are inspiring enough to mention.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:17 pm

rkrazy wrote:
skip wrote:

I don't know Skip. The Rams should be thinking defense at this point. Tebow may be available top of the 3rd unless Jax trades into the 2nd. What other teams have Tebow on radar this high? After the top 2 QBs there is a big drop off of "NFL ready" QBs. This year has more QB depth than the last 2 years but lacks a Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez or Stafford that can be a productive starter from day 1. I see more questions than answers today. Defensive talent is deep though. Take the talent while it's on the board and wait on QB is a better approach IMO. The Rams can't afford a potential QB bust.

I'm not bashing Tebow. Simply trying to debate the topic so we (or maybe just me) learn more about him. Tebow is the big wildcard in this draft.
I don't think Flacco and Sanchez were really thought of as being NFL ready prior to the combine. Flacco was a small school QB who impressed a lot of people at the combine. And a lot of people thought it was a mistake for Sanchez to declare for the draft. Adapting to the speed and complexity of the NFL is the hardest thing to predict.

I'm not counting out McCoy and Snead as viable prospects just because they didn't light it up in their final college season.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:I don't think Flacco and Sanchez were really thought of as being NFL ready prior to the combine. Flacco was a small school QB who impressed a lot of people at the combine. And a lot of people thought it was a mistake for Sanchez to declare for the draft. Adapting to the speed and complexity of the NFL is the hardest thing to predict.

I'm not counting out McCoy and Snead as viable prospects just because they didn't light it up in their final college season.
Phish I agree there were numerous concerns about Sanchez and Flacco, however, they both landed in the right place and did well as rookies. Aside from Bradford and Clausen is there any other QB that might fly up draft boards to 1st round status? Even though Flacco and Sanchez had concerns pre draft, they still were 1st round picks to teams that needed a QB, which helped catapult them into a starting job right away. I just don't see any of the other QBs in this class having that impact. This is a deep QB class for sure but not one of them is being labeled as franchise saviors. Who knows maybe 2 or 3 will become the next Manning, Brady and Brees though.

This is a good discussion. I'd like to hear some of the others chime in on the QB debate.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:06 pm

The thing with Tebow is, I believe he really has to land on a decent to good NFL team to excel.....if he goes to a bad team, he's screwed.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:04 pm

rkrazy wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:I don't think Flacco and Sanchez were really thought of as being NFL ready prior to the combine. Flacco was a small school QB who impressed a lot of people at the combine. And a lot of people thought it was a mistake for Sanchez to declare for the draft. Adapting to the speed and complexity of the NFL is the hardest thing to predict.

Phish I agree there were numerous concerns about Sanchez and Flacco, however, they both landed in the right place and did well as rookies. Aside from Bradford and Clausen is there any other QB that might fly up draft boards to 1st round status? Even though Flacco and Sanchez had concerns pre draft, they still were 1st round picks to teams that needed a QB, which helped catapult them into a starting job right away. I just don't see any of the other QBs in this class having that impact. This is a deep QB class for sure but not one of them is being labeled as franchise saviors. Who knows maybe 2 or 3 will become the next Manning, Brady and Brees though.

This is a good discussion. I'd like to hear some of the others chime in on the QB debate.
As always, the combine could change everyone's rankings. Do I think anyone is gonna fly from a late 2nd to 3rd round prospect all the way to round 1? Probably not. But I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. Snead and McCoy were thought to be right behind Bradford less than a year ago. With a good showing at the combine/pro day... anything can happen. We're talking about a position that is so important in the NFL, it doesn't hurt to have a young guy waiting in the wings if you're an NFL owner. So I'll never say never.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Mock Draft 2.0 Sign-up and Discussion

Postby jimmo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:17 pm

From the first page...
hosler427 wrote:12 hour time limit
No trades
Post your team, pick, picture and an explaination
After you pick please PM the next person in line….
Have fun

Wouldn't hurt also to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box if it isn't already... It'll lead to emails on every pick but it has the benefit of keeping everybody informed of the progress of the draft.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I think this draft is pretty solid considering trades aren't considered.

Steve, I have to ask... you'll appreciate this...

You have Cam Thomas going to the Bills in round 2, but you don't have him ranked in the top 8 in your rankings. In 74 words or less, why?
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak