DLF Members Mock Draft - PICKS ONLY (no discussion)

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:46 pm

With the 30th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select...

Jimmy Clausen,QB,Notre Dame

While there are certainly other needs that need to be adressed somehow, this opportunity is too good to pass on.
With the future of Brett Favre and the Vikings being very limited, this position somehow needs to be adressed. Now there are several options MIN has: trade for a veteran QB(possibly McNabb.. but I dont see him leaving Philly for now),hope no #4 returns for another year or just trust Sage and TJ to get things done.Well... No trade has happened so far, Favre hasn´t decided if he will return(and even if he returns, it would still be a great selection for the Vikings because it would give Clausen time to learn from one of the all time greats) and Sage Rosenfells and Tavaris Jackson just aren´t the answers here.

Coming from a pro style offense, Clausen has good size(6-3, 223), has a strong and accurate arm, shows leadeship and takes care of the football(28 TD´s with just 4 picks in his junior year).

In the real draft, I think there is no chance him being available at this pick. From some being considered as the no 1 QB in this class, it is more than likely Clausen going off the board way earlyier than pick #30(even 1st overall to the Rams seems possible).

While the Vikings clearly have some other areas that need to be adressed(DT with Pat Williams reaching the end of his career, CB with some of them hitting free agency, being hurt severly and getting old, OG and Safety and possibly MLB with EJ.Henderson being hurt and Brandon Spikes still being available), this chance to get settled at QB for the future is just too good to pass up on!

Other players considered: Terrence Cody,DT,Alabama - Dan Williams,DT,Tennessee - Brandon Ghee,CB,Wake Forrest - Brandon Spikes,LB,Florida
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 am

With the 31st pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas

The Saints have their pick of Kindle, Ricky Sapp and Navorro Bowman in this slot, and the playmaker Kindle is their selection. The Saints need some extra speed on the outside from their blitzing OLB and DE, and this pick is gravy. The entire NFL East also covets Kindle, so it may be wishful thinking that he drops this far.

Sergio Kindle's elite athleticism and ability to make any play in space makes him a valuable commodity. Once he can shed blocks a little better, he'll be deadly.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 am

The Colts were keeping an eye on getting a steal at LB if Kindle fell, but a shrewd GM for the Saints snagged him just before our pick. :shock: So the Colts turn to fortifying protection for their pampered QB...

With the 32nd pick (which should actually be the 31st pick, since the Saints are going to win the Super Bowl), the Indianapolis Colts select:

Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida.

The best Center prospect in the draft might be a reach to some here, but Jeff Saturday's days are numbered and the Manning needs to take snaps from a quality player and not get blasted with pressure up the middle. A 4-star recruit out of High School, Pouncey also garnered recognition as a first-team All-American this season. He can also slide over to Right Tackle to upgrade the spot tenuously held by Ryan Diem.

Others considered: Everson Griffin, Jared Odrick, Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Ricky Sapp, Charles Brown, Jermaine Gresham, Jahvid Best.
Last edited by Misfit74 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Pick 33 St. Louis Rams

Postby BubbaBurst » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 pm

If the draft plays out like this, then the Rams would be in quite the prediciment. No QB is worth selecting here, so the QB of the future will have to wait. Without a QB its tough to spend this pick on a WR like LaFell or Tate, but I think its something they will consider. But in the end I think they stick defense. Which is why with the 33rd pick, the Rams of Saint Louis select:

Brandon Ghee, CB Wake Forest

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 pm

With the 34th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions Select

Jahvid Best RB Cal

With Kevin Jones moving to the Pup list and watching Percy Harvin play against them twice, they fill two spots at Running back, and Playmaker. Most obvious need here would be a tackle, but none are high enough on the Lions draft board. With Best they have a RB who can take some heat of Jones if he's able come back, and also could become a good compliment to any Vet they may bring in for the time being. He's not a true between the tackles/3 down back, but he's a play maker that can fill in at Running back, in the passing game and return game.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

With the 35th pick in the NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Dan Williams DT Tennessee

Tampa would have loved to get one of the two big DT's in the first round but that didn't happen. Defensive end and wide receiver are two huge needs as well but I think Dan Williams is a great value at this point and should go by pick 20...

Other options: Jared Ordrick, Everson Griffin, Golden Tate, Brandon LaFell, Demaryius Thomas

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

With the 36th pick of the NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Charles Brown, OT, USC.

The Chiefs need a tackle and Brown will surprise at the next level.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Gambling that one of the top 3 QB's would still be available with their 2nd round pick, Washington addressed their first glaring need in round one and drafted Offensive line....and their gamble paid off.

Mike Shanahan is a guru at the QB position and has built some great offensive teams around his QB play. His 2nd round pick will be no different and leaves the General Manager of the Browns (Skip) reeling after his QB of the future is snatched from under his nose.

Colt McCoy - QB - UT Longhorns.

----------------
Now playing: Blue October - Drilled A Wire Through My Cheek

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 pm

With the 38th pick, the Cleveland Browns select:

LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri

As much as the Browns were interested in a DB in the first round and should consider one here, they simply can't pass on a top 20 talent like Weatherspoon to shore up what would be a fantastic pairing for the forseeable future in that defense.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 am

With the 39th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select:

Brandon Spikes,LB,Florida

With Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison being free agents, the Raiders will look to get a LB in the draft. Having missed Rolando McClain in the first round, Al Davis probably would´ve even liked Spikes back then.

Others considered: Eversen Griffin,DE,USC,Dexter McCluster,(speed... Al Davis...enough said...)
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:07 am

With the 40th pick in the NFL Draft the Seattle Seahawks select:

Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame

Continuing in an effort to help an offense the fell off the face of the map the past several seasons, the Seattle brass adds another dynamic offensive playmaker - this time at wide receiver. Since it is likely that Deion Branch isn't back and possible that both Branch and Burleson aren't back, the Seahawks are thrilled that who many consider the 2nd best WR on the board is available at #40. Since T.J. Houshmandzadeh handles the big possession receiver duties and possession receiver types can be found later in the draft, the 'Hawks elected for the faster playmaker in Tate. Tate should be to the Seahawks what Deion Branch should have been and he makes a fine compliment to burner Deion Butler, Housh, and TE John Carlson in addition to it's young QB (Bradford) and the dynamite C.J. Spiller.

Others considered: Brandon LaFell.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

With the 41st pick of the 2010 draft...

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 pm

With the 41st pick, the Bills select: Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

This might seem like a strange pick but as of today, I think this is a VERY realistic possibility. I say that because:

1 - I'd say the chances of Buffalo converting to a 3-4 defense are in the 65-75% range

2 - After he tipped the scales at 370 lbs, his draft stock has taken a hit. But the price is right for Buffalo in the 2nd round.

The Bills ran a 4-3 defense last year, I realize that. But since then, they've cleaned house. Buddy Nix comes over from the Chargers and they run a 3-4. That in itself shouldn't mean very much. Then they hired an OLB coach from Georgia Tech to be an assistant on defense before hiring a DC. They still don't have a DC yet, and I understand why. How does it make sense to hire position coaches before hiring a DC? All I know is, the entire AFC East runs a 3-4 and Buffalo has struggled against everyone in their division. They've only won 2 divisional games in the past 2 years! Terrible! They were 0-6 two years ago, they squeaked out a win vs the Jets last year and they beat the Fins after injuries killed their team. It's time to give the Pats, Jets and Dolphins a taste of what it's like.

This is going to get long... it already is. I apologize. But all I keep hearing is that Buffalo would be crazy to convert to a 3-4 because they don't have the personnel to make the switch. My argument is: You gotta start somewhere. If they can whip Terrence Cody into shape, they will have landed a prototypical NT in the second round. This draft is pretty deep for DT/NT players, Suh and McCoy could go 1-2 in the draft. Technically, they could find someone in the 3rd or 4th round. But if Cody is on the board and if I'm right that a switch to the 3-4 is happening... Cody will be our pick.

To the people who don't think that Buffalo can make this switch easily, I'll disagree. The secondary is in place. And that isn't the reason why a switch doesn't make sense. Here is what I ( and other Bills fans ) envision the front seven could look like after the draft.

DE - Kyle Williams - He had a great year last year. I've seen a few respected bloggers refer to him as one of the 10 best draft picks that the Bills have made in the past decade.
NT - Terrence Cody - Big man to plug up the middle. You don't have to have a big guy at NT to run it, Jay Ratliff does a great job with gap responsibilities that fit his abilities. But if you have a big man, it doesn't hurt.
DE - Marcus Stroud - He's getting up there in age, but he could fill this roll for a year.
OLB - Aaron Schobel - That assumes he comes back. Hard to say, but I'm penciling him in if all this comes to pass.
ILB - Kavika Mitchell - Everything I've seen indicates he should be ready for training camp. He's got the size and experience to play in the middle.
ILB - Poz - He's a better fit in a 4-3, but I have no doubt he could make the switch. He's a gamer, and with those 3 big men in front of him... he'd be able to make some plays at the line.
OLB - Aaron Maybin - He looks like a bust so far, but we haven't seen much from him. The problem is, he doesn't have the size to play DE in a 4-3. He tried to beef up, but he didn't show the game changing speed that we expected. It's a work in progress, progress that has yet to be started... but if that front seven stayed healthy, I think it could work. Instead of drafting 4 DBs in the last 5 rounds, Buffalo will have to add some depth to the LB corps. But on paper, I think it can work. I didn't even mention FA additions. Anything is possible. There... have at it.
Last edited by Phish Brigade on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

New England's pick is in....

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 pm

With the 42nd pick the New England Patriots select Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State University

With the best LBs off the board early, Bill Belicheck decides to take the best available player at a need position. Harkening back to his last championship when Corey Dillon was the primary ball carrier. New England is in need of a power running game upgrade to add balance to their offensive game plan. Fred Taylor, 34, Sammy Morris, 33, and Kevin Faulk, 33, are on their last legs. Maroney and Green-Ellis aren't the long term answer. Matthews is a strong finisher that can wear defenses down. His speed/strength combination is rare. Strong work ethic and character. Needs to work on pass protection and receiving skills.

Other players considered: Sapp, Spievey, Wilson, LaFell and Norwood
Last edited by rkrazy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

with the 43rd pick the Dolphins select...

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Daryl Washington: ILB, TCU

The Phins took Dez Bryant with their 1st round pick and get a steal in Daryl Washington. Channing Crowder has seen his best days and the Phins upgrade this position with a tackling machine.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm

With the 44th pick in the NFL draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech

Wide Receiver is a huge need for the Bucs. They are very happy to get Dan Williams and Eric Berry with their first two picks. Now offense has to be addressed. Thomas was extremely underutilized and I think has the most upside of any WR in this draft. Freeman has a big arm and Thomas should introduce a big play element into the passing game.

Other options: Brandon LaFell, Everson Griffin, Vladimir Ducasse