-----===== New to dynasty? What to look for in a league. =====-----

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.
Mighty4tress
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: New to dynasty? What to look for in a league.

Postby Mighty4tress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:17 am

New to this forum, but am a seasoned dynasty and modified dynasty commissioner. I have been running multiple leagues for better than twenty years. You all have shared a lot of great thoughts. The two I currently run are on RSO (Reality Sports Online). The league message board there is rarely used. The exception to the rule is when a new owner may come on board and introduce himself, or if potential league charter changes are being discussed. The majority of our activity - and there is a ton of it - is handled on Group Me in one of my leagues, in a private Facebook group in another. A prospective owner could also request and receive a compilation of league transactions.

My own biggest issue with turnover over the last two decades have been owners that don't pay or engage. League Safe has made most of the no-pays go away. I had to let one go this year for non-payment after hounding him from the League Safe deadline forward via auto-nag and personal messages. I also have an expectation that every owner will set their line-up on a weekly basis. In one league, I set aside a portion of prize money as an incentive for the highest average power ranking from week 5 forward. This incentive is only available to teams that miss the playoffs. An owner with more than one occurrence of missing a bye week fill in or playing a guy on IR is ineligible for the award. The owners in this league are outstanding at setting their line-ups. Over twenty years, I have averaged about one team turning over per league per year.

It's true that not every owner and commissioner are a good match. I have also played in leagues under awful, low engagement commissioners. Low-engagement commissioners tend to lead low-engagement leagues with high turnover - at best. After about fifteen years of commissioning, I needed a bit of a sabbatical to finish my grad studies. I still wanted to play, so I jumped into two dynasty start-ups that didn't get past the first year - both due to disengaged commissioners and other owners that didn't set line-ups. Frustrated, and with my son old enough to appreciate and enjoy the hobby - I dove back into commissioning.

So with my own experience on the other side, the owner definitely should check the track record of the commissioner - and the commissioner should have nothing to hide. If it is a start up league, a commissioner with a track record is important. I wouldn't join a start up league with a first time commissioner - unless I was convinced that commissioner would be engaged and very selective of owners. As at least one other mentioned, the prospective owner should also understand the league expectations and necessary commitment before jumping in. If a commissioner doesn't elaborate on commitment expectations for the owner - that's a red flag for me. The commissioner is simply trying to fill a league with bodies - and not necessarily the right bodies. Ask to read the league charter. Question anything that may be confusing - or maybe even contradictory. If it is a salary cap league, a big question to raise is how player retirements are handled if it isn't specifically addressed in the charter.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Make sure your league funds are all handled through League Safe with MAJORITY RULE on payouts. PayPal will not do very much if the commissioner steals from you. They only give you 90 days to request a refund, after that you can only file a complaint. League Safe is comparable to an "Online Escrow for Fantasy/Dynasty leagues". It holds your money and disperses funds at the end of the season, pending either commissioner or majority rule. I recommend Majority Rule, unless you know the commissioner well enough to trust them.
Just want to stress this point to everyone. Leaguesafe won't provide any protection unless you use it correctly. Majority Rule needs to be enabled.

Also, make sure that refunds get blocked as soon as everyone has paid. Basically, anyone who has paid into Leaguesafe can withdraw their money until the Payment Deadline. So if the Payment Deadline is months after the draft or Week 1, then owners can actually withdraw their funds at any point. So make sure your commissioner shifts the Payment Deadline to the date when the last owner has paid, to lock funds into the league.

This will protect your funds. Unfortunately, it won't protect you from a bad commish.

porrasr
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby porrasr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm

This is a really good thread. In my situation, I started my league with a bunch of redraft junkies and have evolved the league over time to become more stable. I have lost owners to championships because I don't ask for an advanced year in dues making it easy for a one and done scenario. That being said, owners have been very active and I monitor all trades. I wish I could control the turnover ratio but without future commitments from owners, that is hard to do.

If anyone has suggestions, these are my league rules:

http://www67.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 20432&O=26

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 pm

porrasr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm This is a really good thread. In my situation, I started my league with a bunch of redraft junkies and have evolved the league over time to become more stable. I have lost owners to championships because I don't ask for an advanced year in dues making it easy for a one and done scenario. That being said, owners have been very active and I monitor all trades. I wish I could control the turnover ratio but without future commitments from owners, that is hard to do.

If anyone has suggestions, these are my league rules:

http://www67.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 20432&O=26
Make people pay in advance!
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

SACK99
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SACK99 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 pm

As for leaguesafe.
I am new to using it and I had a commish of a prospective league say he couldn't do "majority vote" until year 2 when the owners were more solid because if a few owners leave after the first season we couldn't get to a majority and the funds would be stuck.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Lions_Pride09
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lions_Pride09 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 pm

About to be a first time dynasty player. I expressed my concern to have the payouts majority vote, but the commissioner said he couldn't change it now since money has been paid by multiple members. We had to pay $120 to join, $60 for Football and $60 for Basketball. Those were the terms to be let in the league. Should I have cause for concern? The deadline to pay is not until September so I could withdraw my money/ask for a refund. All the other owners said they trusted the commissioner and that having commissioner control the payouts was fine.
12 Team Superflex PPR (Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, RWT, RWT, SUPERFLEX)

QB - Dwayne Haskins Jr., Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Tua Tagovailoa, Mason Rudolph, Jameis Winston, Cole McDonald

RB - Devonta Freeman, Phillip Lindsay, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, Chase Edmonds, Trayveon Williams

WR - Jarvis Landry, DJ Moore, James Washington, Diontae Johnson, N'Keal Harry, KeeSean Johnson, Josh Reynolds, Justin Watson, Bryan Edwards, Tee Higgins, Van Jefferson Jr., Joe Reed, Quintez Cephus

TE - Noah Fant, Blake Jarwin, David Njoku, Colby Parkinson

SACK99
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SACK99 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Ya, I had some of the other owners say they got paid out on time and also looked at the history of the league and there was 3-4 years and it all looked legit. I took the chance but for me, the entry fee was less than $50 so, less of a loss if something goes south. GL

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 am

Leaguesafe.com is pretty good with its customer support. If you have an issue as described above, then I'm sure they would deal with it.

BTW, it's not just about the $($$) that you might lose, it's also the time and energy that you might put into a league, doing research for the start-up, trade negotiations, etc. If a league dies in its first year or two, you lose ALL of that.

Heavykevy
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Heavykevy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm

diehard4life
Rookie
Rookie

Postby diehard4life » Sun May 19, 2019 6:08 am

Active members and a flexible commissioner are the keys, almost nothing else matters if those things are broken.
Philosophy: a high ceiling is better than a high floor.

Relative dynasty newcomer, but six time league champion in other formats (despite a 10 year hiatus), most proud of the 2018 NFFL (16-team, TD only, 30th anniversary) League Championship.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:49 pm

For leagues that are mostly made up of strangers, leaguesafe is a must. If there is enough trust though i'd avoid it. that fee irks me lol
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

roekukta2
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby roekukta2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:40 pm

what is devy

Nerdherd14
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: -----===== New to dynasty? What to look for in a league. =====-----

Postby Nerdherd14 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm

I need someone to help me with my dynasty team ASAP in a very competitive league. If interested reply with contact information.