Feedback on Startup Idea

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.
patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Feedback on Startup Idea

Postby patiloman13 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 am

I’ve got a startup I would like to put together this offseason, and would love some feedback on some of the rules. The most important things I wanted when making this league was a 24 team double copy auction format, as the auction is really fun with two of each player getting nominated (though not at the same time). I also really like the “dynasty with a deadline” idea where say for five years the league will run, and then a new startup will happen. There are other ideas included, and I tried to put everything I’ve thought of in a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/119K ... udi4-1jC3o)

I would love to get feedback, publicly or privately, on any of the rules and what your opinions are on if I should use them, or modify them. I also would love to see if there is interest in joining a league like this. Thanks in advance!

patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Feedback on Startup Idea

Postby patiloman13 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 am

Biggest issue brought up so far is that I’d need to collect payment for all five years up front, which could be prohibitive. Anyone have thoughts on if that would actually be an issue, and if so, ways to solve it?

lxa4christ
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lxa4christ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 am

I think it sounds like a cool idea. I don’t necessarily think that you need to collect all 5 years but maybe just always collect 1 year in advance, so 2 years upfront.

patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby patiloman13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for the input! My main worry is that if owners go all in and miss early, the last couple years when it is a lot closer to a redraft that they’ll bail. Maybe always keep two years ahead, then the last two years people don’t have to pay at all?

Tomfoolery
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm

why do you want to do offline trading? seems like it's just inviting a ton of unnecessary work for you.

Wooters
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Wooters » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

It's either dynasty or it's not. Makes no sense to restart the entire league after 5 years. Perhaps give teams the option every 3 years to throw all their players picks into an ROD draft, in order to mix up their squad. You'll have ~ 60% turnover after 2-3 years as teams will drop out of the league knowing that they can't win and then have to start over. Plus good luck trying to fill those teams while the new teams know that the league is starting over in a year or two.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm

I agree with the concerns about having a definitive end date. If teams get bad, no one is going to want them with limited time to rebuild. Having considered making it an Empire League? Part of the pot rolls over until a team goes back to back. That owner gets the rolled over pot and the league dissolves.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby patiloman13 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I have considered the Empire League idea, and just like the uniqueness of this transitioning from basically a dynasty the first year, to essentially a redraft the last year. I think especially for guys who are newer to dynasty, it’s a way to jump in and get their feet wet without being stuck with a dead team for decades if they blow it.

I do get what you’re saying with guys not rebuilding once they can’t win, which is why I’m thinking make owners pay for two years ahead, so by year 3 the final year 5 is paid for. Even if I can’t get a new owner to play for free with the chance of still winning money, worst case scenario is I submit lineups for that team based on projections or something. I think if I have some type of small payout like for weekly high scores, or a monetary prize for the toilet bowl, there shouldn’t be any real chance that I can’t get someone to come in to manage a team completely for free with the chance to win a little money.

Offline trading is just a cool idea I heard on the Commission:Impossible podcast (w/ Ryan McDowell and Scott Fish) that I wanted to try out. I’m prepared for the extra work, as it should be a fun twist, as well as a way for the newer dynasty owners to feel more comfortable with trades knowing that if they make a bad one and give away a player, someone is probably going to come in with a better deal.

Anyway, that’s my thought process, I’d still love more input though, as your comments at least reminded me I definitely need some type of small payout even for the bad teams.