Little advice to guys looking for a league

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.
melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Little advise to guys looking for a league

Postby melish1631 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Slaughter...couldn't agree more with your comments! After all, they all say "I'm really active and a football die hard..etc..."

slaughterrt wrote:Eh. I will agree to an extent. However, just because a person is active on the forums doesn't mean he will be active in a league. It also doesn't meant he will be a good owner. It also doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, say I have been playing dynasty for ten years, but I'm not a big message board guy. I have plenty of experience and would be a great owner and asset to a league. I only use the boards for recruiting or looking for a league. I would certainly be qualified, but because I haven't met my post quota, I don't have a chance.

Guess the old adage of judging a book by its cover applies here. You can't judge an owner by the amount of post he has. I've had good and bad experiences with owners who have many posts as well as ones who have had few posts.

Or perhaps, an owner wants to make the transition from redraft to dynasty and is looking for a league. Do you expect him to be posting dynasty advice if he has never played before? Do you expect him to ask a bunch of dynasty questions if they aren't in a dynasty league yet?

My suggestion would be to do your due diligence when recruiting owners. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Introduce them to the league and members. Let him feel out the league and the other owners. Ask him his plan for the team. If he fits the bill, then hopefully it works out. If not, then move on.

If a league/commish passes on a potential owner based solely on number of thread posts, then they are morons.
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Yeah, I've been commishing leagues for over 15 years and I've filled numerous openings in that time. I've had wildly varying degrees of success using posters in this forum. I screen, i do background checks on their dynasty history, i try to cover every base. What turned out to be some of the worst owners I've ever seen passed those tests with flying colors. I don't care how many posts the have on DLF because aside from helping people in the commish section, I don't post a ton on DLF anymore. Most of the old time posters are gone so I know I'm not the only one. I'm not going to refuse somebody who may be smarter than I am because they dont post on a forum.

I will say it is easier to become familiar with people over a period of time by reading their posts but I wouldn't say not posting is a reason to not consider somebody for an opening. To be honest I have an opening in a league full of dynasty veterans for a really good situation but do to some recent bad experiences I probably won't post it publicly. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fill it.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 am

when looking for a league try not to join one with a fly by night commish that is just recruiting for his $ league and will bail 2 weeks before the start of the regular season . Also be wary of guys flooding your inbox with stupid trade offers and begging you to do deals that are in your best interest . Advice is worth what you pay for it in most cases and just blabbering away on everyone's posts doesn't give any kind of credibility
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

HummaK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby HummaK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:45 am

Well, in general i can just say, of course, activity in forums, here aswell, is allways a good possibility to be able to get an impression of someone. This doesn't need to be really precise, but at least it's a start.
Still, just to say how it is for me:
I'm quite new to fantasy football in general. This was my first season, liked the dynasty aspect from the start. I played in a startup, due to injuries i finished 4 of 16. Mid-Season i took over 2 orphan teams which will need a rebuild. Around that point i also joined a mid-season-startup which is evolving from 7-Keeper to dynasty right now, won that league. So, even though i don't have to much experience, i think i didn't mess up everything, am dedicated and try to improve my teams as good as i can. Why am i telling this? I just have that handful of posts you're talking about. I don't have much experience with dynasty or even fantasy football in general. So, yes, i might try to "guess" around a bit about player perfomances, thats right. I might even would do that more. Just for me, i didn't participate more due to the fact that i'm no native speaker. I feel much more comfortable in reading, searching what i wanna know then to try to express what i wanna say. It's quite frustrating to sit around, never find the words you are looking for, at least in english, and beeing absolutely unsatisfied with your post.

So, what i wanna say is: The number of post doesn't really tell much about your qualification to be a good owner. It lets someone get an impression, yes. But the reasons for a low number of posts can vary. Still, you're right about the fact, that posts in general might improve your chances of beeing chosen as owner by any commish.
Team 1: 12-Team, 15 Keeper (10 IOP, 3 IDP, 2 free) 0.5 PPR Superflex

QB: Cam, Mariota, Carr, Smith
RB: Zeke, M. Gordon, Miller, Abdullah, Mixon, Hunt, Foreman, Perine, Henderson
WR: Julio, ARob, Dez, Moncrief, Parker, Doctson, Treadwell, J. Brown, Ross, Z. Jones
TE: Gronk; Brate, Engram

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:59 am

HummaK wrote:Well, in general i can just say, of course, activity in forums, here aswell, is allways a good possibility to be able to get an impression of someone. This doesn't need to be really precise, but at least it's a start.
Still, just to say how it is for me:
I'm quite new to fantasy football in general. This was my first season, liked the dynasty aspect from the start. I played in a startup, due to injuries i finished 4 of 16. Mid-Season i took over 2 orphan teams which will need a rebuild. Around that point i also joined a mid-season-startup which is evolving from 7-Keeper to dynasty right now, won that league. So, even though i don't have to much experience, i think i didn't mess up everything, am dedicated and try to improve my teams as good as i can. Why am i telling this? I just have that handful of posts you're talking about. I don't have much experience with dynasty or even fantasy football in general. So, yes, i might try to "guess" around a bit about player perfomances, thats right. I might even would do that more. Just for me, i didn't participate more due to the fact that i'm no native speaker. I feel much more comfortable in reading, searching what i wanna know then to try to express what i wanna say. It's quite frustrating to sit around, never find the words you are looking for, at least in english, and beeing absolutely unsatisfied with your post.

So, what i wanna say is: The number of post doesn't really tell much about your qualification to be a good owner. It lets someone get an impression, yes. But the reasons for a low number of posts can vary. Still, you're right about the fact, that posts in general might improve your chances of beeing chosen as owner by any commish.
What you said about your experience is key. There are many league openings I see all the time--some are for "newbies"--guys with very little experience looking to have some fun in a casual league--and guys that are hardcore, $250 buy in, 32-team leagues. A commish knowing that you don't have much experience is actually really helpful and key, and depending on what kind of league he's looking to start, he can make an informed decision on who to invite.

Sorcerer54
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Sorcerer54 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:53 am

I’ll throw this out there. I’ve been a commissioner for 25 years, but I’ve been doing it with only one league. Therefore, I don’t feel as qualified to comment on as many topics as say MARKinMI or Bonscott. They run multiple leagues and I fear my experience pales in comparison to them and many others. Plus, my league is a year-round Keeper League and not a dynasty league. Consequently I don’t post a lot. Still, I find many of the topics discussed on this board rather compelling.

I felt as if I was reading my own newsletter when I read Mark’s post about filling numerous openings in his 15 years as a commissioner and having varying degrees of success with folks on the forum. I find that the forums are a useful tool in recruiting potential owners. This is especially true when a poster tells you a little about themselves and what they are looking for in a league. For me, that narrows down a number of owners that wouldn’t embrace the format of my league. I've still had a number of folks that seemed to fit well but didn't have the time, drive or enthusiasm a successful league needs. This seems to be a mixed bag no matter what vehicle a commissioner uses to recruit, and I've used many forums other than DLF, friends of current owners and Want Ad boards at work to recruit potential owners.

In my opinion the number of posts and the quality of those posts isn’t a 100% accurate litmus test of potential owners, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:57 am

Number of posts has zero relation to quality of owners, as was alluded to in earlier posts. I've been playing dynasty for 16+ years and couldn't care less how many posts a person has when I seek potential owners. I just joined the DLF forum last year to advertise for owners as I wasn't getting much traction on other forums. I filled a ten-team league with complete strangers from this board and with the exception of two, am very pleased with the quality I got, regardless of post quantity. Majority are first-time dynasty players. I took it offline via email to get to know owners and discuss experience, philosophy, etc.

I would say to guys in search of leagues: don't worry about how many times you post. Serious commissioners will look at all inquiries, regardless of your forum involvement and reach out to you to make a determination.
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Little advice to guys looking for a league

Postby Coogan Football » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Wanted to bump this back up for the new guys we have
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Cobrax20
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Cobrax20 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:52 am

Good Info here and I think both side are legit...I've been playing fantasy for longer than I'd like to say but new to dynasty and not my personality to just jump in head first when I don't have enough knowledge to feel competent to comment ....on the trades I love reading the initial trade post but not reading any responses and quizzing myself on what I think and then reading all the responses and seeing how I stacked up haha...

Im seeing dynasty like a owning a cat.....they live a long darn time so when u get one u better be ready for the long haul so I'm trying to be picky on what I join....I have three commishes that are really good, responsive, helpful, payout the $, uses the league voting a lot but I feel like I lucked out too in finding these commishes ....finding a good commish is just as important and hard....

Sry I didn't quote it by the guy that mentioned about not wanting ur leaguemates to know who u are on here...yeah that one makes me Nervous too hahah but I guess that's just a "oh well" chance u take.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 am

I saw a few new guys looking for leagues so I figured I'd bump this, maybe it'll help them out a little.
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

#WhoDat

Prospector
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prospector » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:41 am

I agree with Coogan here.

Active on forum = greater chance overall of active participant in a league. Building a league is tricky and leagues that succeed need a certain threshold of activity or they just die out. Almost a guarantee!

It is true that a "lurker" as the devil's advocate put it could be really active. I cannot argue that. What I can argue is that if you want to guarantee a larger community of active owners - it is safer to pull from proven activity as almost a reference check!

The point here is it increases you odds of getting someone to seek you out or select you. The process may be sped up a bit. You will not be excluded from all leagues. If I did have one opening though and two peeps expressed interest, I'd go with the personality and collaborator that is on the boards as a deciding factor.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 am

Looks like we have a bunch of new forum members looking for leagues, this might help you get a spot in one of these leagues!
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 am Looks like we have a bunch of new forum members looking for leagues, this might help you get a spot in one of these leagues!
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

Ggwara21
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ggwara21 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 am

Good thought coogan...
as I fall into that category of only posting on this site trying to find a new league.

I don't use this site for anything other than finding a league, that's only because I use twitter and other various sites for my research.
16 team. .5ppr .04 ret yard

QB K Cousins
RB L Miller
RB P Perkins
WR B Cooks
WR D Parker
TE J Graham
FLX C Coleman

Bench
Perriman
Doctson
B Watson
Kaepernick

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:06 am

Bump
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat