Little advice to guys looking for a league

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.
Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Little advice to guys looking for a league

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:00 pm

I see quite a few guys with only a handful of posts looking to join a league and I wanted to give you guys a little hint.

If you only get on here and post in the Help Wanted forum and are looking for a league you are probably wasting your time. But, if you start getting on the forum and post useful comments and join in on the conversation you are much more likely to get invites from other "forum regulars" when spots open up in leagues.

Separate yourself from the 100 other guys on here that are only posting in the help wanted forum and start joining in on the rest of the forum, make a name for yourself so to speak, you don't have to post 100 times a day but if you only have 5 posts to your name you will probably get looked over as a potential owner to take over a team.

Same thing goes for the Team Advice and Lineup Advice forums, the more guys you interact with and comment on their threads the more they will comment on yours and so forth and you will become known as someone who is a team player and they will probably tend to comment on your stuff because do your part, I know from my on personal experience that I almost always get plenty of feedback from the majority of the forum regulars (guys who are on here and post at least a couple times a week) because I spread the wealth and post a ton on everybody else's threads.

I see a lot of new guys looking for teams and I wanted to give you guys a little friendly advice, and good luck looking for a spot in a league :thumbup:
Last edited by Coogan Football on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

teprovich88
Captain
Captain

Re: Little advise to guys looking for a league

Postby teprovich88 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Great advice bcoogan23!

I'll speak from the Commissioner side when I am looking for owners, I like to look through some of their posts to see what they will bring to the table in my leagues. Yes, I do also put all owners through a screening process once they apply to the league itself, but it is a nice quick screen to see if the owner would potentially be a fit or just looking to take over a team that they will abandon mid-way through the year if they fall out of contention.
Pittsburgh Predators: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Champion
NDFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/14733#0

Pittsburgh Tyrants: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 Champion
ADFL: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/12028#0

DLF HoF: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/23015#0

DLF Premium: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2024/home/15795#0

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:06 pm

teprovich88 wrote:Great advice bcoogan23!

I'll speak from the Commissioner side when I am looking for owners, I like to look through some of their posts to see what they will bring to the table in my leagues. Yes, I do also put all owners through a screening process once they apply to the league itself, but it is a nice quick screen to see if the owner would potentially be a fit or just looking to take over a team that they will abandon mid-way through the year if they fall out of contention.

Thanks, I do the same thing as well. I'm amazed at the amount of guys that simply create an account and the only posts they have under them are ones asking for spots in leagues and they actually expect to get an invite. Having a few meaningful posts makes a huge difference in how I would view someone as a potential owner, I guess you could say it's kinda like your resume' for openings in leagues on here.

When I had 2 openings in my league a few weeks ago I hand-picked which forum members that I wanted to invite and had both spots filled within 36-hours. I looked for guys who posted meaningful stuff that the community could use and also the tone of their posts as well, they did their mini dispersal draft last week and already got it done. I didn't personally know them or anything but I simply chose them by how they were on the forum, I'm very happy with the guys I chose,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

#WhoDat

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:16 pm

I'll play devil's advocate... :twisted:

Perhaps there owners that don't necessarily use the forums as a resource? Or like any site, there are always lurkers, people that simply browse the content but don't comment. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be active in your league. I've got a few posts under my belt, but I've only been playing FF for a few years now so I often don't comment because I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also.. perhaps an owner creates a throwaway account on the forums for requesting to join a league so that other owners in that league don't see their posts about how they feel about players or where they'd like to get a guy in the draft, etc.

Just food for thought on different points of view.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:05 pm

coog has a good point, and so does jubben. My next league i start (which will be this offseason) will have more of a formal application process. I want to take a look at an owner's portfolio--whether it be looking through their team's history in a pre-existing league, or looking through how they contribute to a forum/twitter. I dont care if you have the same opinions or are conservative with your moves--just give me something else beyond "I'm looking for a league" to show me that you're going to make a big contribution to the league.

steelermurf
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby steelermurf » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

I am a regular at other fantasy sites but just starting to try dynasty. You can't penalize me for not knowing about this site. Which forum gets the most traction here?

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:14 pm

steelermurf wrote:I am a regular at other fantasy sites but just starting to try dynasty. You can't penalize me for not knowing about this site. Which forum gets the most traction here?
Both of these:

viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=6
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:24 pm

steelermurf wrote:I am a regular at other fantasy sites but just starting to try dynasty. You can't penalize me for not knowing about this site. Which forum gets the most traction here?
Nobody is penalizing you--they're just looking for someone that demonstrates a commitment and willingness to learn other than a handful of posts saying how dedicated they will be. I myself joined this site 2 years ago after lurking for a while, then learned what I could by participating in discussion; i started to contribute to discussion myself, using what I was learning. By the time I started my dynasty league later that year, I was much more informed (albeit still green).

For now, contribute where you can--likely where player discussion is occurring. You don't need to know dynasty to talk about a player's performance what you think his career outlook is. Believe me--you establish yourself as an active forum member will speak volumes to commissioners looking for GMs.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

zfifelski wrote: For now, contribute where you can--likely where player discussion is occurring. You don't need to know dynasty to talk about a player's performance what you think his career outlook is. Believe me--you establish yourself as an active forum member will speak volumes to commissioners looking for GMs.

I agree with all of this, especially with the last part. I sometimes get random unsolicited invites to leagues from other forum members just because I am so active with posting on here and always starting threads to stir up discussion as well commenting on other ones.
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:56 pm

jubben wrote:I'll play devil's advocate... :twisted:

Perhaps there owners that don't necessarily use the forums as a resource? Or like any site, there are always lurkers, people that simply browse the content but don't comment. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be active in your league. I've got a few posts under my belt, but I've only been playing FF for a few years now so I often don't comment because I feel like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also.. perhaps an owner creates a throwaway account on the forums for requesting to join a league so that other owners in that league don't see their posts about how they feel about players or where they'd like to get a guy in the draft, etc.

Just food for thought on different points of view.
x2

bst4r
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bst4r » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Honestly if a com. judges from amount of posts thats not smart at all . This homepage you can`t se anywhere advertised so people they come here because they wanna elevate their game to another lvl and they searching for the proper more challenging Dynasty team .
Last edited by bst4r on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:30 pm

bst4r wrote:Honestly if a com. judges from amount of posts thats not smart at all . This homepage you can`t se anywhere advertised so people they come here because they wanna elevate their game to another lvl and they searching for the Fantasy team .

Where does this come from?

Anyways, what we are talking about is the guys on here from trying to get into a league that have only a few posts under there belt. You don't have to have 1,000 posts to be an asset to the community, but having only a handful doesn't look too good in my eyes if I'm looking for an owner whom I want to be active in my league.

You can only have 100 posts on here and as long as they are meaningful and are contributions to the discussions on here that is fine with me. The 2 new owners I recruited for my league only have around 800 posts but they are active and always contribute to different threads.
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Eh. I will agree to an extent. However, just because a person is active on the forums doesn't mean he will be active in a league. It also doesn't meant he will be a good owner. It also doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, say I have been playing dynasty for ten years, but I'm not a big message board guy. I have plenty of experience and would be a great owner and asset to a league. I only use the boards for recruiting or looking for a league. I would certainly be qualified, but because I haven't met my post quota, I don't have a chance.

Guess the old adage of judging a book by its cover applies here. You can't judge an owner by the amount of post he has. I've had good and bad experiences with owners who have many posts as well as ones who have had few posts.

Or perhaps, an owner wants to make the transition from redraft to dynasty and is looking for a league. Do you expect him to be posting dynasty advice if he has never played before? Do you expect him to ask a bunch of dynasty questions if they aren't in a dynasty league yet?

My suggestion would be to do your due diligence when recruiting owners. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Introduce them to the league and members. Let him feel out the league and the other owners. Ask him his plan for the team. If he fits the bill, then hopefully it works out. If not, then move on.

If a league/commish passes on a potential owner based solely on number of thread posts, then they are morons.

Quinty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Quinty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:44 pm

slaughterrt wrote:Eh. I will agree to an extent. However, just because a person is active on the forums doesn't mean he will be active in a league. It also doesn't meant he will be a good owner. It also doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, say I have been playing dynasty for ten years, but I'm not a big message board guy. I have plenty of experience and would be a great owner and asset to a league. I only use the boards for recruiting or looking for a league. I would certainly be qualified, but because I haven't met my post quota, I don't have a chance.

Guess the old adage of judging a book by its cover applies here. You can't judge an owner by the amount of post he has. I've had good and bad experiences with owners who have many posts as well as ones who have had few posts.

Or perhaps, an owner wants to make the transition from redraft to dynasty and is looking for a league. Do you expect him to be posting dynasty advice if he has never played before? Do you expect him to ask a bunch of dynasty questions if they aren't in a dynasty league yet?

My suggestion would be to do your due diligence when recruiting owners. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Introduce them to the league and members. Let him feel out the league and the other owners. Ask him his plan for the team. If he fits the bill, then hopefully it works out. If not, then move on.

If a league/commish passes on a potential owner based solely on number of thread posts, then they are morons.
Very good post.

I had a couple of owners in a league that the thread starter would have loved. Both were football writers and spent tons of time posting on Twitter and elsewhere.

In our league, they were deadbeat owners, as in almost 0 activity between June and the end of the year for 2 years. Occasionally logging in to set a lineup, usually starting guys on byes, IR, or FA. On the plus side, crap owners like this are a great way to see who is a good commish and who isn't.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I don't think anybody said that they only go by the number of forum posts make or break how a potential owner might be, I just said by having more posts on here that they would be much more likely to get a league invite from a commish on here.

The number of posts you have doesn't determine what kind of an owner you might be but if you create an account on here and the only posts under your belt are the ones where you say "I want a spot in your league" then I personally think they are probably wasting their time because a commish is probably not gonna take you serious. If you want a spot and want to stick out from the rest then you should probably post more and show some initiative and contribute to the forum.

As zfifelski said above, "You don't need to know dynasty to talk about a player's performance what you think his career outlook is. Believe me--you establish yourself as an active forum member will speak volumes to commissioners looking for GMs."

, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat