More Site Updates

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
dlf_kenm
Administrator

More Site Updates

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Things have been happening fast and furious around here lately... except when they haven't.

Forum Upgrade
First, the forum upgrade is on hold for a while. At issue are some server settings on our host at GoDaddy which need to be adjusted in order to permit the upgrade script to run. After numerous discussions with the marginally technically competent folks at the GoDaddy support team, they have basically washed their hands of the issue and pinned it on the third party app. There are a couple options left to us, none easy or cheap, so for now, we'll hold off on the forum upgrade and circle back around to that a little later. GoDaddy does offer some cheap hosting, but you get what you pay for. I'm already looking for a new home for DLF...

Forum Advertising
We were going to wait until the forum upgrade was completed before dropping in the banner ads in the forum, but now, since that's on hold, I'll be moving forward with implementing the ads here. As it's been posted before, we've held off doing this for as long as we possibly could. We've wanted to keep the site and forum as clean and as ad-free as possible, but at this point, we really need to generate a little revenue to keep the lights on and fund some new site enhancements, so we're going to give it a shot. As always, we welcome any feedback on the issue. If you hate them, let us know. We'll try to keep them as un-annoying as possible. And if you ever feel like clicking on them to check things out... :wink:

New Look
In the next day or two you'll see some changes to the look of the site. This will mostly apply to the main website, but you'll notice it here as well. Just a little re-branding to facilitate some other things we want to pursue. Again, feedback welcomed!

Thanks again everyone, you guys are the best FFB community around!
Last edited by dlf_kenm on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Wed May 26, 2010 12:59 pm

I know I'm more than willing to click an ad or two every day to generate some money for you guys. I think that's the least we can do since you guys provide top-notch advice and service in every way.
Michigan Maulers
QB: Brady, Bradford, Henne, Gabbert, Hill, Edwards
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison
WR: Fitzgerald, G. Jennings, V-Jax, Crabtree, Holmes, McCluster, K. Walter
TE: V. Davis, Dreessen, Bennett
K: Akers, Barth
DL: T. Kelly, Ngata, A. Brown, D. Edwards, E. Brown, Avril
LB: Lofton, Cushing, V. Miller, Orakpo, Angerer, Wimbley, Witherspoon
DB: L. Landry, Rhodes, Byrd, T. Williams, Finnegan, Meriweather, J. Smith

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed May 26, 2010 1:46 pm

As you've no doubt noticed, ads have been enabled.

I'll be the first to admit, yes, it can slow down the page load time a bit. I'll see what I can do about that.

If anyone experiences any strange behavior which might seem related to these ads, please let me know.

Thanks

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Wed May 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Yeah its making maybe an extra second or two load delay, nothing too problematic yet. These are PPC ads correct?
Michigan Maulers
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I understand the reason behind them but boy are the pop ups annoying...

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I understand the reason behind them but boy are the pop ups annoying...
get yourself a popup blocker Mark!!

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Wed May 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I understand the reason behind them but boy are the pop ups annoying...
What popups??? Try Firefox, I only get a popup if I click on the banners intentionally to help DLF... which has been about 15 times in the last 10 minutes!
Michigan Maulers

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm

hosler427 wrote:
get yourself a popup blocker Mark!!
I have one, but I still get the pop up blocked tab popping up! Is there a blocker for that? :lol:

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed May 26, 2010 2:38 pm

I'll see what's up with those pop-ups. That wasn't part of the deal. I hate pop-up ads! hate hate hate...