Forum Upgrade Coming Soon!

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
dlf_kenm
Administrator

Forum Upgrade Coming Soon!

Postby dlf_kenm » Sun May 02, 2010 12:16 am

The software which powers our forum (phpbb) has not been updated since it was implemented in 2006. There are quite a few compelling features to be gained by updating to the latest version of phpbb. Lots of upgrades and added features, both on the front end as well as the back end. Check 'em out if you like. They can be seen here: http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/?from=submenu. This is going to be a big upgrade, and one which has been needed for a long time.

I'm planning on performing the upgrade in the next week or two. The upgrade will be started late at night to minimize impact. If things go as planned, the forum will be down for just an hour or two. If things go badly, it could be down longer - worst case scenario a day or two. Very unlikely, but there is a remote chance.

I want to make sure that the upgrade doesn't impact any of the drafts going on in the League Forums. Just post up here and let me know when you are done with the drafts - if they have even started yet. Also if you could, please let me know if any of the League Forums are no longer in use. If so, they may be deleted or moved elsewhere.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be sure to announce when the upgrade will be performed.

Thanks all.

Ken

dlf_kenm
Administrator

T- 2 days

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Haven't heard back on this yet, so unless this screws things up for anyone, I'm going to target the upgrade for this weekend. Probably start late Friday night. I'll keep you all updated here. There may be some changes to the look of the forum as a result of the upgrade, and there will definitely be some changes to the features. But I doubt it will be anything so serious that it will mess adversely impact anyone's ability to post. But as I get closer and determine possible issues, I'll post here.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Holding Off

Postby dlf_kenm » Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Going to hold off for a week. Don't want to mess with the draft happening this weekend. I'll post an update later next week.
Thanks!

Ken

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 pm

I am targeting this weekend still for the upgrade. How does that mesh with any drafts going on in the league forums? Any potential issues there if the forum si unavailable for several hours this weekend?

Thanks

brice587
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby brice587 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:08 am

dlf_kenm wrote:I am targeting this weekend still for the upgrade. How does that mesh with any drafts going on in the league forums? Any potential issues there if the forum si unavailable for several hours this weekend?

Thanks
Shouldn't be a problem. I don't think any drafts will be going on in the forum then.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu May 13, 2010 7:25 am

dlf_kenm wrote:I am targeting this weekend still for the upgrade. How does that mesh with any drafts going on in the league forums? Any potential issues there if the forum si unavailable for several hours this weekend?

Thanks
This weekend sounds good.